Locked: 2007 RX 350 Engine Replacement Procedure

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2019 2:34 am
[OP]
May 11, 2009
585 posts
181 upvotes

2007 RX 350 Engine Replacement Procedure

Hey guys, after four faithful years and only at 163,000 kms my engine has kicked the bucket. I changed the oil religiously and even changed all maintenance items before they were due. She spun a rod bearing right after I changed the alternator, but I digress.

Now I have sourced a used engine coming off a 2010 RAV4 4X4 with 120,000 kms. I'm going to take the oil cooler off of my current engine.

I have a couple of questions, does anyone have any information on the easiest way of swapping out the engine? Do I go through the top or through the bottom? Do I remove the subframe like they do for the Sienna and ES350? Here's a link to someone doing it on a Sienna:

Do I need to do any Lexus specific tuning or will the computer take care of all that?

I am getting it done by a mechanic but I'm going to help him out so that I can get the car back quicker. If anyone has a manual that lays out the engine removal that'd be great.

Wanted to see if any backyard mechanics had any input!

Thanks for your help!
Share:
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12835 posts
1644 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe Alldatadiy.com
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16073 posts
6242 upvotes
I'm going to be completely honest with you - an engine swap should only take 1-2 days if it's a bolt-in (i.e. direct fit, not some sort of custom swap). If your mechanic needs your help to "get the car back quicker" I would find another mechanic to do the swap.

If you head over to a Lexus-specific forum someone might be able to point you to a factory service manual that contains all the steps required.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12316 posts
12241 upvotes
Oakville
Wow, what do you have to do to a Lexus to blow it up after only 160k KM?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2672 posts
2666 upvotes
Vancouver
How close of a match is the RAV engine? I don't know a whole lot about the Toyota V6, but I'd first try to find a direct replacement. ie. from another 2007 RX350.

And I'd be looking for another mechanic if you think this one needs to be provided instructions on how to replace the engine.
Last edited by derass on Feb 2nd, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1151 posts
292 upvotes
You are going to use a RAV4 engine in your RX350?

What's the point? It's not going to drive or feel the same after. Plus it's not bolt on...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2672 posts
2666 upvotes
Vancouver
bizzyseller wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 11:01 pm

What's the point? It's not going to drive or feel the same after. Plus it's not bolt on...
It's the "same" engine: 2GR-FE. But I'll bet there are a bunch of minor differences.
[OP]
May 11, 2009
585 posts
181 upvotes
zakregent wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 7:50 pm
http://www.emanualonline.com

About $33 for a repair manual here

Alternatively, https://workshop-manuals.com/ also provides a free repair manual but not to the extent of a full one.

Wow only 163,000 KM? Did you drive it hard?
Thanks! I'll check them out. It was my dad's car. It wasn't driven hard at all. The first owner was a soccer mom. I don't think she changed the oil on-time at all.
hightech wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 8:58 pm
Sounds like you are the second owner of the vehicle and the first owner screwed it up.
TrevorK wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 10:28 pm
I'm going to be completely honest with you - an engine swap should only take 1-2 days if it's a bolt-in (i.e. direct fit, not some sort of custom swap). If your mechanic needs your help to "get the car back quicker" I would find another mechanic to do the swap.

If you head over to a Lexus-specific forum someone might be able to point you to a factory service manual that contains all the steps required.
engineered wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 10:42 pm
Wow, what do you have to do to a Lexus to blow it up after only 160k KM?
derass wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 11:00 pm
How close of a match is the RAV engine? I don't know a whole lot about the Toyota V6, but I'd first try to find a direct replacement. ie. from another 2007 RX350.

And I'd be looking for another mechanic if you think this one needs to be provided instructions on how to replace the engine.
It is what it is. I am not willing to shell out $2500 just in labour to install an engine. I don't mind helping.
bizzyseller wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 11:01 pm

It is a direct replacement. There is absolutely no difference in the 2GRFE in the RAV4 and the RX350. The Highlander, RAV4, Camry, Avalon, RX350 and ES350 all have the exact same engine. The only difference is mine has an oil cooler and that can be swapped out.
derass wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 11:03 pm
It's the "same" engine: 2GR-FE. But I'll bet there are a bunch of minor differences.
car-parts, every junkyard/rebuilder I've called and every other mechanic I've spoken to has said it's the same engine. The biggest difference for sure is going to be the wiring harness. That's going to have to be harvested from my current engine.