[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3256 posts
2569 upvotes
The NORTH

2008 Buick Enclave with Damage on CarProof

Hey All;

I know that the general answer is that one should shy away from buying a vehicle with excessive damage listed on the carproof but I have an opportunity and wanted a reality check on my thinking. I found a 2008 Buick Enclave for sale while searching for a replacement people mover for my wife's dying Hyundai. We are looking for something low cost to last us a 3 years. At a local dealership I ran across a 2008 Buick Enclave with 85,000Km and they want $5500. I checked autotrader and found that they posted it for $8500 a few weeks ago then dropped the price on the 31st of July and again last week. Carproof is showing $14,000 in damage to the front end in 2010 @ 11,000Km. The vehicle comes safetied and test driving it I had it up to 105km for about 5 minutes with no signs of pulling, shaking, vibrating...

My thought process is that if the vehicle was repaired 8 years ago and 74,000Km ago then there must not be a problem currently with it. The dealer is just saying that they want a quick sale on the vehicle to move it off the lot as it was a trade in and are getting nothing with the disclosure of the damage on carproof...

I do not trust dealerships and am thinking of putting a refundable deposit on it and getting a pre purchase inspection done...

Does this seem fishy?

Thanks for any feedback.
20 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4582 upvotes
Montreal
I'd be suspicious of the mileage 85,000km on that type of vehicle doesn't seem normal. Car was driven only 75K in 8 years? That is ultra low, most of these type of large SUV have well over 200,000km on them after 10 years. I fully get low mileage on a seasonal summer car, my 2003 summer car only has 66,000km but that can be backed by 15 years of oil changes and documented service records. On a family type large SUV used for road trips, seems strange. Definitely a mech inspection is in order including a body shop as is a close examination of service and warranty records to verify the mileage.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1865 posts
417 upvotes
Burnaby
You may not know how the vehicle will react in a possible future front end accident. That does seem awfully low mileage but if true i'd be worried about wear and tear on the vehicle due to lots of short trips. I'd look elsewhere just because of the safety factor, is that worth the savings not knowing how the vehicle would protect me in an accident, let alone the wife and possibly kids?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40952 posts
4730 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
amplified wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:38 pm
You may not know how the vehicle will react in a possible future front end accident. That does seem awfully low mileage but if true i'd be worried about wear and tear on the vehicle due to lots of short trips. I'd look elsewhere just because of the safety factor, is that worth the savings not knowing how the vehicle would protect me in an accident, let alone the wife and possibly kids?
somewhat possible? But rare.
My partner bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla MINT with only 150,000km... thing drove like brand new.
WHoever owned this drove under 9000km a year.

I say... .If OP Is okay with taking risk is life.. I'm going to say... offer $3000.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3256 posts
2569 upvotes
The NORTH
amplified wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:38 pm
I made the exact same argument to someone else for the same thing in another thread. Shame on me. :)

Here is the thing, we currently own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the enclave will never go over 60km/h. It's only to drive the kids to school and go to the grocery store. We live in town, there is zero highway driving and any trips will be taking the Jeep.

The car proof is showing a recall for an airbag in 2014 with an odometer of 48,000 km, 2016 odometer reading of 60,000 and a 2017 new owner reported with an odometer reading of 75,000km.

I'll take it for a prepurchase inspection tomorrow and offer $4500. See what happens...

Still concerned about about the vehicle reaction to a potential crash...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1865 posts
417 upvotes
Burnaby
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:31 am
somewhat possible? But rare.
My partner bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla MINT with only 150,000km... thing drove like brand new.
WHoever owned this drove under 9000km a year.

I say... .If OP Is okay with taking risk is life.. I'm going to say... offer $3000.
For sure could have been a second or third vehicle that got driven on the rare occasion or an elderly person that just went to physician appointments and the odd grocery trip.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1865 posts
417 upvotes
Burnaby
kr0zet wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:45 am
I made the exact same argument to someone else for the same thing in another thread. Shame on me. :)

Here is the thing, we currently own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the enclave will never go over 60km/h. It's only to drive the kids to school and go to the grocery store. We live in town, there is zero highway driving and any trips will be taking the Jeep.

The car proof is showing a recall for an airbag in 2014 with an odometer of 48,000 km, 2016 odometer reading of 60,000 and a 2017 new owner reported with an odometer reading of 75,000km.

I'll take it for a prepurchase inspection tomorrow and offer $4500. See what happens...

Still concerned about about the vehicle reaction to a potential crash...
On the bright side you then probably dont even need collision and comprehensive insurance. If you are satisfied that it checks out, the price you end up paying and that you are going to trade it in, drive it till it dies, junk it or donate it in 3 years or so then I guess it just paid for itself and you got pretty decent value for the return.

I know someone that buys a $500 car every year and either junks it at the end of the year or if it still runs good drives it until it dies. Does little to no maintenance and obviously doesnt need collision or comprehensive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3256 posts
2569 upvotes
The NORTH
amplified wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 1:02 am
On the bright side you then probably dont even need collision and comprehensive insurance. If you are satisfied that it checks out, the price you end up paying and that you are going to trade it in, drive it till it dies, junk it or donate it in 3 years or so then I guess it just paid for itself and you got pretty decent value for the return.

I know someone that buys a $500 car every year and either junks it at the end of the year or if it still runs good drives it until it dies. Does little to no maintenance and obviously doesnt need collision or comprehensive.
Donate it in 3 or 4 years. Will be donating the current car as well. Our current Hyundai is doing about 8000km a year. The enclave will be filling in that role, errand vehicle around town. Basic insurance, no collision or comprehsion. Will be nice to have more space than the Hyundai and a third row will beat the Jeep for school runs.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2467 posts
1793 upvotes
I once owned a 2008 Buick Enclave. Beautiful vehicle. But, it is well known that they suffer from transmission problems, steering rack and water pump problems. A broken wave plate can be costly to fix.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11547 posts
5922 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:14 pm
I'd be suspicious of the mileage 85,000km on that type of vehicle doesn't seem normal. Car was driven only 75K in 8 years? That is ultra low, most of these type of large SUV have well over 200,000km on them after 10 years. I fully get low mileage on a seasonal summer car, my 2003 summer car only has 66,000km but that can be backed by 15 years of oil changes and documented service records. On a family type large SUV used for road trips, seems strange. Definitely a mech inspection is in order including a body shop as is a close examination of service and warranty records to verify the mileage.
Odo in my wifes 2008 Equinox. Do it OP.
Images
  • 20170612_181428.jpg
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14050 posts
3435 upvotes
London
skeet50 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:46 am
I once owned a 2008 Buick Enclave. Beautiful vehicle. But, it is well known that they suffer from transmission problems, steering rack and water pump problems. A broken wave plate can be costly to fix.
+1
op, avoid unless the transmission has already been updated/ rebuilt
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3256 posts
2569 upvotes
The NORTH
l69norm wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 9:55 am
+1
op, avoid unless the transmission has already been updated/ rebuilt
Anyway to verify this without service records? Should I be worried on a vehicle with no outwards signs of transmission issues with this level of Km's and planning on less than 25k Km before donating it?

I have an appointment at 2pm to test drive the vehicle and an appointment at 3pm for a pre purchase inspection at a mechanic. I tried but was not able to get it into a Buick dealership for an inspection, the dealer selling it is a Kia dealer.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11547 posts
5922 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:05 am
Anyway to verify this without service records? Should I be worried on a vehicle with no outwards signs of transmission issues with this level of Km's and planning on less than 25k Km before donating it?

I have an appointment at 2pm to test drive the vehicle and an appointment at 3pm for a pre purchase inspection at a mechanic. I tried but was not able to get it into a Buick dealership for an inspection, the dealer selling it is a Kia dealer.
It's a software reflash like most others. I don't think I would worry about it.

EDIT: found this. It's referring to the shift points. I guess the easiest way to find out is a good city drive followed by a highway pull.

https://www.enclaveforum.net/20-engine- ... roved.html
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14050 posts
3435 upvotes
London
kr0zet wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:05 am

There was a 10 year warranty extension for this problem. I’m assuming the 10 years is about up, so that’s why the owner got rid of this suv

https://gm.oemdtc.com/1870/14404-transm ... iac-saturn

Take the vin to a gm dealer and see if they can access the service history. If the Kia dealership franchise is owned by a big chain, they often also own a GM dealership franchise as well so they might be able to call for you
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3256 posts
2569 upvotes
The NORTH
l69norm wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:45 am
There was a 10 year warranty extension for this problem. I’m assuming the 10 years is about up, so that’s why the owner got rid of this suv

https://gm.oemdtc.com/1870/14404-transm ... iac-saturn

Take the vin to a gm dealer and see if they can access the service history. If the Kia dealership franchise is owned by a big chain, they often also own a GM dealership franchise as well so they might be able to call for you
Thanks, I have the VIN. Will call a GM dealership and see if they can help.