2008 Honda Accord: Changed Starter but still Issues

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2018 11:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
294 posts
20 upvotes

2008 Honda Accord: Changed Starter but still Issues

My 2008 Honda Accord has been having some issues in the last few months. It wouldn't start initially until it was diagnosed with needed a new starter. Had a new one put in, but the car would still not start smoothly and require a longer (maybe 4 seconds) start up when I turn the key before the engine kicks in. This would happen maybe every other time I try to start the car. Anyways, I kept going back to the mechanic but he could't figure it out. Eventually told me to put in high octane gas to flush the engine out. I don't think the battery is an issue and the mechanic was sure that wasn't the issue either (battery is only two years old).

3 months later, and issue gets worse! Now it barley starts on the first try and require a few tries of turning the key before starting. The engine light is now on periodically also.

Do you think the starter isn't installed properly or some engine issue is at play here?

Mind you, I had the dealership change the entire engine in 2013 when it was under warranty and kept burning the oil too fast.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4153 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
What is the voltage when the car is off and when the car is running/charging?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2452 posts
1734 upvotes
Get a new mechanic.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2330 posts
2395 upvotes
GTA
The CEL is not related to the starter. But you should find out why it's coming on (what codes are being stored).

Did this problem ever happen right after the engine was changed? I'll bet it has something to do with that. Maybe the technician left a ground wire loose during the engine swap.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33066 posts
7234 upvotes
Ottawa
If the engine turns over it is not the battery....it is also not the starter.
Flushing the engine has nothing to do with starting problem, your mechanic upsold you.
Premium gas also does not help a staring problem. Your mechanic does not know what the problem is and is just throwing out rectal plucks.
Non starting can be ignition problems, ignition wires, spark plugs fuel /air issues, computer problems or injector problems or fuel pressure problems or many other things.
I do not think that the engine change 5 years ago has anything to do with this unless this has been a problem for those past 5 years.
I suggest taking it to a dealer that has the proper test equipment, software and service information.
Being in the Military is a choice, being a Veteran is an earned honor. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3706 posts
568 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 8:27 pm
Get a new mechanic.
Great advice . Plus check air filter make sure it's not clogged up .
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1759 posts
1070 upvotes
How are the battery cables? Are they clean and tight? We also need a little more info. Does it crank for 4-5 seconds then fire? Or takes 4-5 seconds for it to crank?