• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2018 11:46 am
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes

2008 Honda Civic Engine Noise

Hi ,

Please correct me if I posted this to the wrong forum. I have 2008 honda civic automatic, has 225,000 kms on it. Recently i noticed at speeds between 65km/hr to 100 km/hr the engine is very rough , I can hear loud engine noise between these speeds . for anything below 65 and above 100 the engine runs very smooth and i don't hear any rough engine noise. I recently after noticing the noise have changed the spark plugs , transmission oil and also the drive belt. Anyone else having and solved this issue ? Any idea what it can be ? Thanks
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8905 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
how many rpms your running? are you sure you on the right gear selection the gear shifter? d and D3 are beside.

other then have you changed your belt ? valve timing ?

I have a 2008 honda civic, dx, I have 285000km on, no isses,

using synesthetic oil since day one.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Apr 19, 2017
197 posts
72 upvotes
Sorry for not being able to help OP but I do have a question for you. Do you still have your original engine block? Did it ever crack?
Nov 11, 2017
39 posts
15 upvotes
Have you checked you oil levels? I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX manual, and noticed my engine started producing rough noises when it was low on oil.

Our R18 engine does have some sample variance where they will burn oil at a higher rate at high mileage.

Is your engine oil dip stick within normal range?
Mar 4, 2013
431 posts
181 upvotes
I don’t think it’s an engine problem. Check your drive shafts, wheel bearings, tire balance. When you’re doing 65-100km/h shift into neutral and see if you get the same roughness
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes
akito925 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 11:25 pm
how many rpms your running? are you sure you on the right gear selection the gear shifter? d and D3 are beside.

other then have you changed your belt ? valve timing ?

I have a 2008 honda civic, dx, I have 285000km on, no isses,

using synesthetic oil since day one.
When I am accelerating from 65 to 100 , the RPM is around 3500 and then goes to 2000 , I have checked and it is in "D" . I have changed the drive belt but not the valve timing. I have always used synthetic oil and have changed it always at 15% mark.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes
plans4canada wrote:
May 27th, 2018 12:37 am
Sorry for not being able to help OP but I do have a question for you. Do you still have your original engine block? Did it ever crack?
Hi , It is the original engine block.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes
AlastairL wrote:
May 27th, 2018 1:03 am
Have you checked you oil levels? I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX manual, and noticed my engine started producing rough noises when it was low on oil.

Our R18 engine does have some sample variance where they will burn oil at a higher rate at high mileage.

Is your engine oil dip stick within normal range?
I usually follow the oil percentage on the dashboard , as soon as it gets to 15% , i change the oil and always use synthetic oil.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes
tommo4lyfe wrote:
May 27th, 2018 1:10 am
It is probably a bad wheel bearing.
But i am getting the rough engine sound , and only at certain speeds , are you sure that it can be a bad wheel bearing ?
[OP]
Jan 9, 2018
51 posts
44 upvotes
acheuk wrote:
May 27th, 2018 4:28 am
I don’t think it’s an engine problem. Check your drive shafts, wheel bearings, tire balance. When you’re doing 65-100km/h shift into neutral and see if you get the same roughness
I just got it checked , there is leak on the passenger side drive shaft and both the rear shocks have leak , will be getting it replaced and see how it goes. Thanks..
Nov 11, 2017
39 posts
15 upvotes
EddandEddie wrote:
May 28th, 2018 12:47 pm
I usually follow the oil percentage on the dashboard , as soon as it gets to 15% , i change the oil and always use synthetic oil.
The oil percentage on the dashboard represents oil life, as opposed to oil level. The oil dip stick in the engine bay is orange and should be checked regularly.

When your car is off, remove the dip stick and wipe off. Then re-insert and remove to check oil levels.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2372 posts
337 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
EddandEddie wrote:
May 28th, 2018 12:48 pm
But i am getting the rough engine sound , and only at certain speeds , are you sure that it can be a bad wheel bearing ?
To confirm, try revving the engine when you are stopped. If you are still hearing the noise then it likely is an engine issue. If not, then you know its not related to the engine. It very well seems like a wheel bearing issue.
Jun 21, 2006
690 posts
199 upvotes
maybe engine mount ? passenger side mount tend to break pretty often
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8905 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
I would highly get your transmission checked out, could be a troque converter.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."