None
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON

2008 Used Jeep Patriot

So I am in Alberta.

We have a 5 month baby and have been looking at various vehicles. We came across a 2008 jeep patriot today at a yard sale with a for sale sign on it. It looks good, but it couldn't be started as the lady didn't have the key at the time. There is 94000 km on it and they are asking $8500. New tires in Oct 2012 but she didn't know really anything else as it is her husbands and he wasn't home. The windshield has a ton of cracks so will need to be replaces, and rust is forming at the top of the windshield.

I popped the hood and it was fairly dirty in there. Obvious it wasn't taken very good care of.
What are your guys experiences with this vehicle? What would be a fair price to offer? I'm sure it needs some work, so I was thinking about offering $6500. Is that too low?

Thanks for the help.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
I took a quick look at 2008 Jeep Patriots in Alberta on AutoTrader and it looks like $8,500 is already a very good price for that vehicle. I only found one Jeep Patriot that was less, all the others were quite a bit more, even ones with more KM's.

What I would do is take it to a mechanic and have it looked at to get an idea of how much it will cost to get everything fixed. Then compare that + the selling price to other Patriots in your area. That will also give you an idea of how much to offer for this vehicle. If there's really nothing wrong with it other than some dirt and cracks in the windshield, then $8,500 is probably a good price. If there's lots wrong with it, then even $6,500 might be too much. You really need to have this thing checked out
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
I plan on having it checked out after test driving of course to make sure everything shifts smoothly and engine is smooth. Never owned a dodge/jeep, only Hondas so I don't even know what to expect in terms of reliability.

I've been looking on Edmund's, and a lot of negative reviews..mostly things like having to replace front end parts a lot.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
cferguson23 wrote: I plan on having it checked out after test driving of course to make sure everything shifts smoothly and engine is smooth. Never owned a dodge/jeep, only Hondas so I don't even know what to expect in terms of reliability.

I've been looking on Edmund's, and a lot of negative reviews..mostly things like having to replace front end parts a lot.
The thing is, people don't often go out of their way to post positive reviews. If you want a Jeep Patriot, then get one and don't worry about reliability. Jeep is an extremely popular brand and dealerships have a hard time keeping them on the lots (including the Patriots) so they must be doing something right with the vehicle.

Have it checked out and take it for a drive. If it's in good condition and drives well, then see what the owner thinks of a slightly lower price. If it needs some work, then make an offer according to that.