Expired Contests

[Monthly] 2012/12/31 - Condé Nast Traveler - "Word Trips" (QC no)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2013 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill

2012/12/31 - Condé Nast Traveler - "Word Trips" (QC no)

"Word Trips"

Prize: The Grand Prize winner will receive one double-occupancy hotel room for two nights, two round-trip coach airfare tickets from the major commercial airport nearest to the winner's home in the U.S. or Canada to one of the top North American and Caribbean spa resorts as evaluated in the 2011 Condé Nast Traveler Spa Poll, and ground transportation to and from the hotel

ARV: $2,500

Rules: http://www.cntraveler.com/contests/word ... izes-rules

Enter: Search: cntraveler

Good luck!

E.&O.E.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I'm not actively monitoring this thread. If you have a question regarding the contest, or encounter a problem and would like me to look into it, please PM me about it. Thanks.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
40 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Time to put our thinking caps on:

May 2012:

I've figured out the following - just need to insert them in the right place (the clues are in random order)

Aromatic church vessel - censer
Wheel on furniture - caster
1960s boxer Sonny - liston
Midmost section - center (they're American, what can you do ....)
Lend an ear - listen
Little Bighorn loser - custer
Sparkle, sheen or gloss - luster
One making a lineup - lister
Gait of a horse - canter
More muddleheader - denser
  1. L I S B O N
  2. L I S T O N
  3. L I S T E N
  4. L I S T E R
  5. L U S T E R
  6. C U S T E R
  7. C A S T E R
  8. C A N T E R
  9. C E N T E R
  10. C E N S E R
  11. D E N S E R
  12. D E N V E R (does everyone agree?)
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Sep 23, 2010
69 posts
22 upvotes
I can't see any glaring mistakes there. Thanks! I had just printed it out to get solving it myself.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JohnnyHandsx wrote:
May 4th, 2012 2:57 pm
I can't see any glaring mistakes there. Thanks! I had just printed it out to get solving it myself.

It was actually kinda fun to do, and some of the words just fell into place after doing enough of them.

I would have never guessed you could get to DENVER from that, but I suppose you can get to anything if you have enough steps in the transformation.
Aug 30, 2005
503 posts
367 upvotes
Not too sure what to do at step 5 !

June 2012 puzzle : True-False Test
1. The Canary Islands are named for birds. (i think it's False, it's for Island of the Dogs)
T: Start with ORIOLE.
F: Start with PARROT.

2. Old Faithful is in Yosemite. (False)
T: Keep only the odd letters.
F: Keep only the even letters.

3. Latvia is one of the Baltic States. (True)
T: Add P to make a common word.
F: Add M to make a common word.

4. Latitude lines run east and west. (True)
T: Put an E after the first letter.
F: Put a W in front of the letters.

5. Mount McKinley is also called Denali. (True)
T: Subtract a word for a body part.
F: Subtract the last letter.

6. Transylvania is in Romania. (True)
T: Put HOME in back of the letters.
F: Put HERE in front of the letters.

7. Edmund Hillary was the first to reach the South Pole. (False)
T: Alphabetize the letters.
F: Put N in back of the letters.

8. Thailand was formerly known as Siam. (True)
T: Change M to S.
F: Change O to T.

9. An archipelago is a mountain chain. (False)
T: Reverse the letters.
F: Subtract all the vowels.

10. Walter Raleigh circumnavigated the globe. (False)
T: Change each letter to the previous one in the alphabet.
F: Change each letter to the next one in the alphabet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
  1. p a r r o t
  2. a r t
  3. p a r t
  4. p e a r t
  5. p t
  6. p t h o m e
  7. p t h o m e n
  8. p t h o s e n
  9. p t h s n
  10. q u i t o
Aug 30, 2005
503 posts
367 upvotes
great thanks ! I was close but not good enough...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
frank2162 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 12:07 am
great thanks ! I was close but not good enough...

This month's puzzle was just silly though. I liked May's a lot more.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
12375 posts
167 upvotes
thanks
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
× < >