• May 20th, 2013 9:19 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 23, 2004
205 posts
18 upvotes

2012 BMW 128i coupe - about to pull the trigger

Just a sanity check

New car, old stock , about 50 kilometers on it, so not even a demo. Warranty started on Jan 31 2013, so its got nearly all of the 48 months of warranty on it.

BMW 128i Coupe from AB authorized dealer
options include prem pack, prem audio, leather seats, electric seats w memory, MET paint
40K+gst, no un-included fees. Retailed at about 48 with all the fees and PDI etc. 36 mo lease at 1.9%

Pushing me on 3M scotchguard paint film protection on the hood/bumper/mirrors, but at $995 its twice what I can get it done for an a local 3m authorized location.
Still not sure if its worthwhile at 500$ but I plan on long term ownership. looking at my old car there sure seems to be more rock dents etc on the protected parts.

what do you think?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
better check why the Warranty started on Jan 31, 2013

Warranty shouldn't start unless the car has been registar before which it can be a demo or manager's car

does the dealer still charge you all the bogus fee (freight, PDI, admin ext)? if the car has been registar, the dealer should already paid those fee and that's the reason why the warranty has started.

sounds like a demo to me.
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
How did the warranty start if the car is not/was never in-service (i.e. never legally registered)? Is it BMW's policy to start the warranty on Jan 31st if the car is the model year before, regardless of in-service date? I wonder if that is allowed by law in Alberta?

Anyway, what's the MSRP on the vehicle? $8k off sounds like it's about 17% off which is decent but the included fees kind of clouds it. The MSRP and the price their selling it to you at, would be more useful.

I can't use the model builder on BMW.ca (they use Java and I will never install that evil virus portal on any computer I own) but using CarSaver.ca I come up with an MSRP of $45,345 after freight (not sure about PDI) for a 2013 with those options you listed. I don't know what the invoice price is but they are probably selling it "at cost", if not below. Seems like a good deal. Kinda sucks that we're still on the first gen 1-series though, with the atmo I6 engine :( But if you love the car, I doubt you're going to see a better deal on a new one.

But def. check into the invoice price, I would try to get them to sell it below that (if they aren't already). The fact that the car is still sitting there and is a 2012 model, I doubt anyone else is interested in buying it at the moment.

I would get the 3M shield done but not at their prices. Either get them to meet the local installer's price or just have it done over there after the sale.
Aug 23, 2004
205 posts
18 upvotes
It seems the dealers transfered the unsold 2012 cars to the used division on jan 31 2013. At that time the warranty started. There are quite a few cars cars brought in service on this same day at the three BMW dealerships I talked to. Seemed reasonable to me, especially as it was a common story from everyone, and they were all upfront about the loss of warranty and even though it was never owned before, and had next to no KM on it, it was sold from used stock.

the dealer lists this car as list 47,900
2013 BMW . ca calculator yeilds 47691

The sale price is 39,900
http://bmwgallery.ca/inventory/BMW+128I ... 2012+11473

I missed an option, thats why your prices were lower 1,600 for auto tranny (wife, no choice here)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Most likely the dealership "bought" the car to take advantage of the factory incentives that's why it has been put in service. With the loss of warranty are they selling this as CPO with the extended warranty? If not I would push for them to include it.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
EP32k2 wrote: Most likely the dealership "bought" the car to take advantage of the factory incentives that's why it has been put in service. With the loss of warranty are they selling this as CPO with the extended warranty? If not I would push for them to include it.
+1 Get it CPO'd.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Why is the dealer charging you freight and pdi if technically your buying a used car?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
cloakster wrote: +1 Get it CPO'd.
Well the dealer has to pay for the CPO status--it's pretty much like an extended warranty with checks. They'll probably tell him they can CPO it but will "have to charge him $x,000" for the pleasure.
kev604 wrote: Why is the dealer charging you freight and pdi if technically your buying a used car?
Good question, though I guess they will defend this by "hiding" any such costs in the discount they're already giving.

Despite all this stuff, the car is still a good deal. At 50km, it has been driven somewhere, but can hardly be called a demo or a used car as it couldn't have been used for more than one test drive or driven any more than a day, at those kind of kms. If the odo was in the hundreds of kms it'd be a different story, but 50? Ehhh, I'd still call it new, given the circumstances.
Jul 22, 2012
716 posts
177 upvotes
I wouldn't buy BMW 128i for 40K. I would get this one with a spoiler:

[IMG]http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w64 ... da028b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w64 ... aecbca.jpg[/IMG]

370z looks like a sexy coupe compare to that BMW 128i which pretty much looks like a sedan, IMO. I am not a driving enthusiast but I would buy this car just for it looks.
Aug 23, 2004
205 posts
18 upvotes
I believe this to be true as a salesman told me they were anxious to sell because they were paying interest on the car. I have only lost 3.5/48 months of warranty.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
ether01 wrote: I wouldn't buy BMW 128i for 48K. I would get this one with a spoiler:
Right but he's not buying it for $48k, he's buying it for $40k. While I agree with you the 370Z is much better looking (and the first gen 1-series is ugly as sin IMO), it's not really our purchase. Actually though I love the 370Z I wouldn't buy one either. Not really that practical...VQ engine burns gas like no tomorrow, still no DCT option (despite the fact that they've had one in the GTR for years), not really a car you'd want to drive in the winter...etc. I mean I'm not all about practicality but there has to be some practicality given I'd only have one car and the 370Z isn't really any kind of recipe for that.
Jul 22, 2012
716 posts
177 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: not really a car you'd want to drive in the winter
40K, my bad. 2013 370z is also around 40K price range. Which sexy coupe is a lot more fuel-efficient than 370z? If I could afford, I wouldn't mind driving 370z to work. Why exactly Z wouldn't do so well in the snow? If I mount Michelin winter tires and snow isn't too deep, don't you think Z would be ok to drive in winter? I'm sure it's not going to be as great as AWD like STi but it should handle fine with the right tires? Main limitation maybe the ground clearance which could turn Z into a snowplow if snow is more than 4" deep. If that's the case I could buy a 96 civic or Corolla to drive in the deep snow.

Right now, I am waiting for this car. I would get this over 370z without even thinking twice. I feel safe buying vehicles from Honda/Toyota.

http://toyota-stoke.com/2012/05/09/new- ... g-in-2015/

[IMG]http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w64 ... 36fc71.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: Right but he's not buying it for $48k, he's buying it for $40k. While I agree with you the 370Z is much better looking (and the first gen 1-series is ugly as sin IMO), it's not really our purchase. Actually though I love the 370Z I wouldn't buy one either. Not really that practical...VQ engine burns gas like no tomorrow, still no DCT option (despite the fact that they've had one in the GTR for years), not really a car you'd want to drive in the winter...etc. I mean I'm not all about practicality but there has to be some practicality given I'd only have one car and the 370Z isn't really any kind of recipe for that.
DCT? Come on, might as well hand in your man card NOW.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
You can get a used Boss 302 for $40k. You can get a used regular 5.0L V8 Mustang for $30k and change.

It would decimate cars like the 128i and 370z.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5143 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond bc
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: You can get a used Boss 302 for $40k. You can get a used regular 5.0L V8 Mustang for $30k and change.

It would decimate cars like the 128i and 370z.
If your looking for power I agree but the interior on Mustang's are super plastic. Same with the Camaros. My friend was offered 53k for a brand new 2012 M3. I'd just get a used in warranty one for 40k..... Power and sexy interior.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ali123 wrote: If your looking for power I agree but the interior on Mustang's are super plastic. Same with the Camaros. My friend was offered 53k for a brand new 2012 M3. I'd just get a used in warranty one for 40k..... Power and sexy interior.
Where? Did he buy it? If not I'll go tomorrow!!!

3 series and sexy interior do not belong in the same sentence. The interior is about as spartan as it gets. The boss is all about business and puts the M3 to same in everyway other than the looks and interior department lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: DCT? Come on, might as well hand in your man card NOW.
:rolleyes:

I will as soon as you hand in your senior's discount cards.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)