• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2017 4:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
204 posts
21 upvotes
KITCHENER

2012 Camry Hybrid Question - 9500$ repair quote

Hi there I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. Every time I depress the brake pedal i hear a noise, a buzzing noise coming from the engine compartment. There are no codes present or any lights. Just this annoying noise every time I brake. I took it to the dealer (Toyota) and they
quoted me 9480$ for replace brake booster, brake master cylinder etc.

Anyone know anything about this symptom. The car runs fine, but not sure if it will for long?

Thanks.
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1024 posts
250 upvotes
Calgary
Supperfly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:02 pm
Hi there I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. Every time I depress the brake pedal i hear a noise, a buzzing noise coming from the engine compartment. There are no codes present or any lights. Just this annoying noise every time I brake. I took it to the dealer (Toyota) and they
quoted me 9480$ for replace brake booster, brake master cylinder etc.

Anyone know anything about this symptom. The car runs fine, but not sure if it will for long?

Thanks.
Apparently the brake booster and master cylinder assembly is almost $3000 + shipping and taxes online so you can imagine how much the dealer would be charging you for the part+labour. Plus i am not sure if there are many hybrid camry in junkyards for you to get this part. Its apparently a crucial part of the hybrid system.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
204 posts
21 upvotes
KITCHENER
Not sure how can it be dying already the vehicle only has 145 000km on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2082 posts
379 upvotes
Get a second quote?

The dealer has to tell you exactly what is wrong, don't let them replace all the components at once.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1024 posts
250 upvotes
Calgary
Supperfly wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:11 pm
Not sure how can it be dying already the vehicle only has 145 000km on it.
Do they have the diagnosis written down on the estimate sheet? generally thats how my dealer does it. Has the car been in any kind of accident? or if you look online these are pretty common failure for a camry hybrid going back to when they were first launched.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2082 posts
379 upvotes
masarwar wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:09 pm
Apparently the brake booster and master cylinder assembly is almost $3000 + shipping and taxes online so you can imagine how much the dealer would be charging you for the part+labour. Plus i am not sure if there are many hybrid camry in junkyards for you to get this part. Its apparently a crucial part of the hybrid system.
Oh, I have heard about this problem with the Toyota hybrid cars. I believe it also affects the Prius too. OP, get the part from a junkyard in the USA, even if you have to pay shipping and custom fees.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1025 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
at a 10k repair, id be junking the thing or parting what i could. Let us know how the used parts (or rockauto) fairs and if you can get an Indy to do the job
Typical car and law enforcement enthusiast
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13479 posts
3202 upvotes
Ottawa
Try a full flush and fill first, before going with a full replacement.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
204 posts
21 upvotes
KITCHENER
So i paid 350 for a full flush. No change.
Dealer quote says possible actuator or master brake cylinder. The quote was to replace both
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13940 posts
3220 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
a $10k repair on any car would be heart attack material for me, let alone a camry.

That'll ruin your day right there

As mentioned, get a used one from a wreck. Search car-part.com

Only thing is if the used part is defective, your mechanic will still charge you labour to remove and install another one and you'd be back at square one. But if the other option is a $10k repair, you really have very little choice.

edit - brake booster on car-part.com

A grade - $800 USD from the Bronx New York City (R Amparo salvage)
A grade - Surrey BC - Ken's auto recycling - Call for price it says
B grade - $450 CAD from New Brunswick - Bastarache's auto salvage
B grade - $360 CAD from QC - Keystone LKQ

difference between grades just comes down to mileage on the donor car
Last edited by nasa25 on Jul 17th, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
204 posts
21 upvotes
KITCHENER
Wonder if those places ship. Thanks for the help guys
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13940 posts
3220 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
yeah they'd ship it. Better to grab one from Canada because if shit goes south it'll be a lot easier and less costly to return
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7201 posts
584 upvotes
Markham
A 5 years old Camry cost 9500 to repair.
What a nightmare,

sorry to hear this OP.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
204 posts
21 upvotes
KITCHENER
Im surprised there is no TSB or recall on this as it sounds like a common issue. At least in the 2007 - 2011. Doesnt say anything about 2012
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2119 posts
246 upvotes
Orleans
Well this is depressing and I don't have a Camry.