• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2019 10:06 am
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
861 posts
71 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

2013 Whirlpool Fridge has a leak in the sealed system

We won’t be repairing it, the fridge is out of warranty and in very disappointed with it only lasting six years.

We are looking for a new fridge. Preferably an all fridge since we have a stand up freezer in the kitchen.

Are there any residential fridges made to last? Considering a quasi commercial unit but hear they can be garbage as well.

Another consideration is we are hitting the kitchen in ten years, so I may be better offf buying a fridge that will at least last ten years.

Any suggestions for me? Willing to spend $$$ for quality, but not $$$ for garbage which it seems most fridges are now a days.
15 replies
Jul 25, 2008
951 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
My nephew has a 4.5yr Kitchen-Aid fridge. same issue. leaking refrigerant. He paid 5k for the fridge. just lucky it was still under warranty.

Took 5he repair guy three weeks to get parts and fix.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1712 posts
1223 upvotes
CR has high marks for LG in "Predicted Reliability".

Sorry to hear about your fridge. Keep in mind during transportation appliances can have a very rough and detrimental ride. As an example, last year I bought a fridge for the basement and it was transported on its side!!!!! Don't know if you are aware but doing so GREATLY increases the possibility of a leak eventually happening over time. A fridge should ALWAYS be carried standing up!!! The compressor installed in a fridge is supposed to stay standing up. Carrying a fridge on its side means the compressor is also on its side. Many/most fridges will survive but the damage done is unknown. I guess luck of the draw based on many bumps the truck drove over...
RFD: Home for those suffering from costcoholism 😂
Jul 25, 2008
951 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
I would take a grain salt with CR report.

Do your Google, Youtube check for users problems.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20080 posts
6209 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 9:39 am
Considering a quasi commercial unit but hear they can be garbage as well.
Why not an actual commercial fridge?
They won't fit in your fridge hole and are a bit noisy, but they're bullet proof.
Even if they do fail, replacement parts and service are stupidly easy to get.

I bought a USRefrigeration because it was cheap, but if I were to actually outfit my kitchen, I'd invest in a True.
Mar 22, 2017
288 posts
243 upvotes
Refrigerators are generally made quite badly these days. Not enough competition, consumers who don't treat reliability as a priority, some additional mechanical complexity and quarterly accountability are all reasons. To buy a reliable fridge, here is what you do:

1. Don't get an ice maker or water dispenser. They're about half of issues, and they can leak too (which can damage more than your fridge)
2. Don't buy a disposable brand like Danby or Haier.
3. Don't buy LG or Samsung. LG is okay reliability, but both brands have issues with their warranty process, and they focus on gimmicks tends to make parts hard to source and technicians thin on the ground.
4. Premium models of mainstream manufacturers are not more reliable than their normal models.

If you want a reliable fridge, buy a Miele. They're the best, their QA is great. They also cost a fortune, so you'll end up spending more on one Miele fridge than you will on two Whirlpool fridges. Sub zero is almost as good, but also silly expensive. I've heard that Fisker & Paytel (bought by Haier in 2012, but still produced somewhat separately) isn't horrible, but the bar is low.
Jul 25, 2008
951 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
New fridges now have inverter controller boards...the boards has more trouble than worth of saving few bucks.

Anyone has Bosch fridge from Germany? not the US one.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6334 posts
1706 upvotes
Markham
Leaking fridge is not indicative of the brand, this stuff is very much luck of the draw IMO. With these new sealed refrigerators, they can't be fixed because you can't access the coils anymore like the old fridges. I had a similar problem and tried these "sealers" [Cliplight Superseal] just to see if it could be fixed. It wasn't too expensive so I thought it was worth a shot. But it didn't work for me. so I finally decided to replace the fridge.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1712 posts
1223 upvotes
@Shaynelle could you please tell us the model number of your defective Whirlpool fridge? Thanks.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
861 posts
71 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
grumble wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 11:51 am

If you want a reliable fridge, buy a Miele. They're the best, their QA is great. They also cost a fortune, so you'll end up spending more on one Miele fridge than you will on two Whirlpool fridges.
Where can I buy Miele?
Mar 22, 2017
288 posts
243 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:23 am
Where can I buy Miele?
Online works well if you're comfortable buying without seeing it in person (unless you showroom). If not, then you'd go to a real appliance store.

Again though, you won't actually save money - Miele costs enough that even if it's twice as reliable you'll spend twice as much, making your savings zero (though lower hassle and it's a premium device, looks nice and runs well). They also tend to come in smaller sizes like 30 inch as it's a European brand, unless you get a built in (and those are EXPENSIVE).
Jul 25, 2008
951 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
Miele web site has locations of their dealers.

I read US brand " Trust" residential is reliable. 30 inch as well but 84 inch tall.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
861 posts
71 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:22 am
@Shaynelle could you please tell us the model number of your defective Whirlpool fridge? Thanks.

EL88TRRW
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1712 posts
1223 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 7:53 pm
EL88TRRW
Thanks for replying. I was hoping it would have been tested by CR but unfortunately they didn't test this type. I assume the complete model number is EL88TRRWS as I couldn't find anything without the S added at the end of the model number.

In case you are interested the built-in Miele MasterCool KF1903SF at US$8,600 has Very Good (below Excellent) for both "Predicted Reliability" and "Owner Satisfaction" and is the highest rated in this category with a score of 83 out of 100.

The Miele PerfectCool KFNF9955IDE has the same rating for the two categories mentioned above and got 73 and costs US$6,500.

Miele KFN9855IDE also got the same ratings as above and got a 71 for US5,000.

CR tested about 100 fridges of different types and I didn't find other Miele tested. Looking at all the results some Kenmore are at the top of the charts for reliability while other models score either in the middle or towards the bottom of the charts.

If you decide on another brand than Miele let me know the model/brand and I can see if CR has anything to say about it. CR is not perfect but is definitely worth an opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6925 posts
2320 upvotes
grumble wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 11:51 am
Refrigerators are generally made quite badly these days. Not enough competition, consumers who don't treat reliability as a priority, some additional mechanical complexity and quarterly accountability are all reasons. To buy a reliable fridge, here is what you do:

1. Don't get an ice maker or water dispenser. They're about half of issues, and they can leak too (which can damage more than your fridge)
2. Don't buy a disposable brand like Danby or Haier.
3. Don't buy LG or Samsung. LG is okay reliability, but both brands have issues with their warranty process, and they focus on gimmicks tends to make parts hard to source and technicians thin on the ground.
4. Premium models of mainstream manufacturers are not more reliable than their normal models.

If you want a reliable fridge, buy a Miele. They're the best, their QA is great. They also cost a fortune, so you'll end up spending more on one Miele fridge than you will on two Whirlpool fridges. Sub zero is almost as good, but also silly expensive. I've heard that Fisker & Paytel (bought by Haier in 2012, but still produced somewhat separately) isn't horrible, but the bar is low.
I actually have a fischer paykel. It is going on close to 10 years. No problems. Miele fridges are so expensive. This seems like a good deal here:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mi ... 56812.aspx?

I like the 10 year warranty.