Home & Garden

2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 Central AC/Furnace (Feedback Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 4:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7149 posts
3536 upvotes
Markham
boffo123 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 4:02 pm
Craig mentioned this in the context of an OPA rebate, so I already excluded it. Is the 18 SEER minimum also applicable for Enbridge's $600 rebate?
Man I really don't konw more than what I just mentioned. I suggest if you have a lot of questions to give Craig a call.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7149 posts
3536 upvotes
Markham
Hi all,

Craig said he'll be at the Home Show in Milton tomorrow (April 15, 2018). Look for him if you have any questions or concerns.

Jun 14, 2012
107 posts
7 upvotes
North York
boffo123 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 3:28 pm
If I understand correctly, assuming I get two eligible upgrades (furnace and central air conditioner), Enbridge seems to be offering these incentives:

1. $600 for the air conditioner
  2. $1000 rebate for the furnace
  3. LIMITED TIME ONLY: get bigger incentives for this upgrade. Besides helping you earn $5,000 back, upgrading your heating system also automatically qualifies you to receive an additional $250 in electric incentives. That’s two incentives for the one upgrade!
  4. $250 for installing a High-Efficiency Furnace equipped with an Electronically Commutated Motor (ECM)

I'm not sure about #3. Is that really in addition to #4 ($250 for ECM)? From the way it's worded, it seems so.

Regardless, to @radeonboy's point, if I go with Enbridge's $250 rebate for ECM, I probably wouldn't be eligible for the OPA rebate. That's fair. I guess I'd ask Craig / @fourseasoncomfort to NOT submit the OPA rebate.

Does that sound right?

P.S. Is this the OPA rebate? https://greenon.ca/en/programs/resident ... nd-cooling
@boffo123 were you able to figure this out?

I wonder if we can get $250 furnace rebate from OPA + $1,000 from Enbridge.
Aug 25, 2004
135 posts
15 upvotes
urartu99 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 11:52 am

I spoke to someone from Enbridge, but she wasn't able to provide any real clarification. She suggested the $250 LIMITED TIME ONLY offer was in conjunction with AC upgrade, but that's probably wrong. The Enbridge page says explicitly that "that's two incentives for the one upgrade!" Hopefully the energy advisor will be able to clarify during my pre-audit.

As for the $250 for furnace ECM, I believe that should still be applicable. Whether it's the same as the $250 LIMITED TIME ONLY offer above, I don't know.

Btw, the electric incentives through Enbridge are actually funded by the OPA/IESO (per Enbridge FAQ). So, the $250 for furnace ECM is the same whether through Enbridge or Craig. Ultimately, it will be paid by the OPA/IESO either way. That likely means any attempt to double-dip will fail, because OPA/IESO would receive both applications.

Edit: Since the OPA/IESO is behind all electric incentives, expect the SEER 18 minimum for AC to apply to Enbridge, too, not just through Craig. Which sucks, that means no rebates for AC.
Jun 28, 2008
82 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Any deals going on in Edmonton, Alberta? I'm in need of replacing my 19 year old furnace. It's making lots of weird noises here and there, and I'm sure it's running at 60% efficiency.
Jun 1, 2010
338 posts
63 upvotes
sdm688 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 9:48 pm
I have to say RFD is awesome. It has landed me many good deals in the past and this time is no different. My Furnace died over the Easter weekend. This is the second time it has malfunctioned since January. So rather than asking the same tech that came out to fix last time, I wanted to see how much it would be for a new unit. Afterall it was pretty old (Approx 15 years) and the tech did say if it dies again it's likely time to replace. I remember seeing this thread some time ago on RFD but I do not think I actually went through the details in it. I quickly came to learn about Craig and his company after reading all 28 pages here! Naturally, I'm a bit skeptical as there seems to be an overwhelming amount of positive comments. I do have other HVAC contacts but that's when I reminded myself, years ago, I had to replace an HVAC unit for my work and I went with someone who had a good price whom I do not know. Within a few months that unit died and the guy was no where to be found. I ended up having to pay to have the job redone due to improper installation. Suffice to say it was an expensive lesson learned. This time round, I was not looking at just the price but also level of competence. I had sent Craig an email detailing my situation with some photos Sunday night. First thing when I woke up Monday morning I had a reply from Craig already. Later on, we talked on the phone a bit to further the details and he was able to come by my place Monday early afternoon. I received the quote from him shortly after. Originally I was just looking at replacing the furnace for now as I did not have the budget to do the AC just yet. However, Craig was able to point out a couple of things that I really appreciated that would likely have saved me $600-$700 had I waited to replace the AC unit later (my AC unit is also 15 years old). Despite the good info, I still had lots of questions as it was a big job and I wanted to make sure I know all the answers before committing. About a dozen emails later, and all of them answered professionally and politely by Craig, I finally went for a full replacement of both furnace and AC. This is around noon time Tuesday and Craig emailed me back shortly to inform me his guys will be by first thing Wednesday am. As it was a last minute thing, Craig was in communication with me to iron out some details throughout Tuesday. I had to be at work today so I left my mom who is the most technology challenged person in my house in charge. :-) . The guys showed up at 8:20 and were done by 3:30. Craig called me shortly after to check on me and I told him I would call him back after I get home. When I got home, I found a completely clean work site. I did not have to pick up one piece of garbage and there was no dust to be found in the work area. I did not even know the furnace was on until I found the humidifier running (as it's triggered by a call of heat). The unit is dead silent! (BTW I got a American Standard Platinum 95 120,000 BTU unit). I called Craig to thank him and we talked a little bit about maintenance and how to best use my ecobee 3 with my new system.

Like many have said, this was a very enjoyable experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy to shell out this amount of cash unexpectedly. But if I had to do it again, Craig will be he guy. He made an otherwise difficult and stressful situation pretty simple. Being a business owner myself, I have come to realize the importance of remembering you get what you pay for. In this case Craig was definitely worth it for me. My family is glad we got heat back with winter upon us (again!Confused Face). Thank you Craig! You're really that nice guy that everyone talks about here!

Derek from Richmond Hill Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Thanks for your business Derek, its been a pleasure working for you. Please let us know if you need anything else at all.
Craig Newhouse - Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling- fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca 416-524-7228
See our 2017 RFD Group Buy: RFD 2017 Group Buy
HomeStars Reviews: Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling
Jun 1, 2010
338 posts
63 upvotes
To our valued RFD members, please remove your winter AC cover and turn on your AC to ensure it is cooling before the hot weather hits. Please also remember to change your furnace filter on a regular basis. We have hit the maximum $155 Group Buy Discount on the #1 Rated Trane line of AC units. Thanks again for your support.
Craig Newhouse - Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling- fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca 416-524-7228
Sep 1, 2015
131 posts
43 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
have my AC installed on Monday.
The job is done very professionally and swiftly!
Deal with Craig will not just save you money, but tons of time as well

Jun 1, 2010
338 posts
63 upvotes
urartu99 wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 11:52 am

Yes you can receive the $250 rebate from the OPA which we can process. You will need to contact a Enbridge authorized auditor for the additional $1000-1100 rebate.
Jun 14, 2012
107 posts
7 upvotes
North York
fourseasoncomfort wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 10:06 pm
Yes you can receive the $250 rebate from the OPA which we can process. You will need to contact a Enbridge authorized auditor for the additional $1000-1100 rebate.
Can you please clarify what you mean by "Enbridge Authorized Auditor"?

If you are referring to Energy Auditor, I know they are not doing Enbridge rebate applications.

I had an impression that it is the HVAC installing company that is applying for the $1,000 furnace rebate.
Aug 25, 2004
135 posts
15 upvotes
urartu99 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 10:42 pm
Can you please clarify what you mean by "Enbridge Authorized Auditor"?

If you are referring to Energy Auditor, I know they are not doing Enbridge rebate applications.

I had an impression that it is the HVAC installing company that is applying for the $1,000 furnace rebate.
AFAIK, Enbridge-authorized energy auditors ARE doing rebate applications. Do you have information that suggests otherwise? The $1,000 furnace rebate is from Enbridge. The $250 for furnace ECM is from OPA/IESO, and can be processed either through Enbridge or the installer (i.e. Craig / @fourseasoncomfort).
Jun 14, 2012
107 posts
7 upvotes
North York
boffo123 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 8:17 pm
AFAIK, Enbridge-authorized energy auditors ARE doing rebate applications. Do you have information that suggests otherwise? The $1,000 furnace rebate is from Enbridge. The $250 for furnace ECM is from OPA/IESO, and can be processed either through Enbridge or the installer (i.e. Craig / @fourseasoncomfort).
You are correct - the energy auditor confirmed that. Thanks!
Jul 20, 2017
479 posts
109 upvotes
urartu99 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 11:11 pm
You are correct - the energy auditor confirmed that. Thanks!
I wonder how I can qualify for the Furnace rebate trough Enbridge..I am doing windows trough greenOn. I would also like to do the attic trough greenON. But to do get the Enbridge furnace rebate you have to do 2 things from the list..Somebody told me that the auditor can add to the application that I did the attic, but not claiming the rebate. Is this correct?
Jun 14, 2012
107 posts
7 upvotes
North York
Sebastian6300 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 11:59 pm
I wonder how I can qualify for the Furnace rebate trough Enbridge..I am doing windows trough greenOn. I would also like to do the attic trough greenON. But to do get the Enbridge furnace rebate you have to do 2 things from the list..Somebody told me that the auditor can add to the application that I did the attic, but not claiming the rebate. Is this correct?
Not sure about this - the Energy Auditor would know.
Aug 25, 2004
135 posts
15 upvotes
Sebastian6300 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 11:59 pm
I don't know about re-using attic insulation / air sealing to qualify as a 2nd upgrade for Enbridge, but I do know (according to both Craig and my auditor) that, because I'm replacing both my furnace and water heater with high efficiency versions, the old gas chimney will be capped, and that qualifies as another form of air sealing (independent from the attic) for the Enbridge rebates.

However, in my case, I'm doing both furnace and water heater anyway, and those already qualify as two upgrades. The air sealing qualifies as a 3rd upgrade for me, giving me a $250 bonus. So, I have less to lose if my auditor is wrong about the air sealing -- I'd lose out on the $250 bonus, but I should still get $1,000 back for the furnace (and $500 for the water heater).

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)