Home & Garden

2014/2015/2016/2017 Central AC/Furnace (Feedback Thread)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 11:16 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 17, 2017
5 posts
need some assistance, recently purchased a new furnace for my disabled senior mother who would otherwise have freezed in her home as the old one was red tagged by Enercare (and turned off) after they discovered a crack near the heat exchanger.

Obtained several quotes before deciding upon a Lennox el296v which I think we got a good price for, though Goodmans were cheaper quotes. The installer, here in Ottawa, deals with Lennox in bulk apparently since they are used by new home builders and that is why they said they could get us the good price.

When the salesperson from the heating company came over for the quote/pre-install visit, he noticed (like only one other of the quoters from the other companies) that the existing furnace was too closely positioned to a back wall which was against code. He said it would be moved to comply with code as part of the install but did not list any extra charge on the contract/invoice nor did he list it as an item on the contract.invoice.
When the installers came, I couldn't be there, when I came back they were gone and I noticed they didn't move the furnace to code like the salesman had originally hinted.
My question is is the installer obliged by the regulations to have done it to code? What are my options right now and should I care to have it to code really? We have only paid the down deposit at this point so we may still be able to ask them about it?
please advise,
seeking advice in Ottawa (cold today brrr.....)
Jun 1, 2010
310 posts
43 upvotes
michaelsmithson wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm
need some assistance, recently purchased a new furnace for my disabled senior mother who would otherwise have freezed in her home as the old one was red tagged by Enercare (and turned off) after they discovered a crack near the heat exchanger.

Obtained several quotes before deciding upon a Lennox el296v which I think we got a good price for, though Goodmans were cheaper quotes. The installer, here in Ottawa, deals with Lennox in bulk apparently since they are used by new home builders and that is why they said they could get us the good price.

When the salesperson from the heating company came over for the quote/pre-install visit, he noticed (like only one other of the quoters from the other companies) that the existing furnace was too closely positioned to a back wall which was against code. He said it would be moved to comply with code as part of the install but did not list any extra charge on the contract/invoice nor did he list it as an item on the contract.invoice.
When the installers came, I couldn't be there, when I came back they were gone and I noticed they didn't move the furnace to code like the salesman had originally hinted.
My question is is the installer obliged by the regulations to have done it to code? What are my options right now and should I care to have it to code really? We have only paid the down deposit at this point so we may still be able to ask them about it?
please advise,
I hope I can help here. I am not aware of any code violation regarding the location of the furnace to the back wall? I would recommend contacting your contractor and discussing why the furnace was not relocated to the agreed position. Perhaps the installers did not relocate the furnace as its current location is to code? Its worth getting in touch with your contractor to discuss this and is always important to have as much detail on the invoice/contract so there is no misunderstanding. If you need to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly.
Thanks,
Craig
416-524-7228
Craig Newhouse - Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling- fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca
See our 2017 RFD Group Buy: RFD 2017 Group Buy
HomeStars Reviews: Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4058 posts
1727 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
michaelsmithson wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm

please advise,
If he just mentioned it verbally and didn't list it as an item on the contract you could have a hard time getting them to actually do the work. Good luck with it all. We are just having to replace our furnace too - also in Ottawa. Came back from a couple weeks in Florida and the thing has crapped out. Hopefully the new one is installed on Tuesday.
Jun 1, 2010
310 posts
43 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 5:37 pm
If he just mentioned it verbally and didn't list it as an item on the contract you could have a hard time getting them to actually do the work. Good luck with it all. We are just having to replace our furnace too - also in Ottawa. Came back from a couple weeks in Florida and the thing has crapped out. Hopefully the new one is installed on Tuesday.
True, but if the contractor should have a legitimate reason for the change of how your furnace was to be installed initially. I have personally planned how the furnace is to be installed during the initial meeting and on installation day my guys have found a better way to install that makes more sense......
Craig Newhouse - Four Season Comfort Heating & Cooling- fourseasoncomfort@bellnet.ca
Dec 8, 2017
1 posts
I just had my furnace replaced, and hot water tank upgraded by Four Seasons Comfort Heating and Cooling. I contacted Craig and had a same day response and quote from him. After a series of discussions about best options, and brands, I ended up purchasing his initial recommendation, a Trane furnace and AO Smith HWT. Craig was responsive, knowledgeable and easy to deal with. He had the pre-installation visit and installation completed within a matter of weeks which was greatly appreciated as our furnace was dying. His installers did a great job getting our furnace installed in what was a difficult and tight location. Overall a fantastic experience, I would highly recommend using Four Seasons Comfort Heating and Cooling. Honest, professional, quality service. Thank you!
Jun 19, 2017
6 posts
15 year furnace is leaking. It’s the original furnace that the builder installed. Is it worth hiring someone to fix the leak or better to just purchase a new furnace? On average how long does a furnace last? What brand is the best for cost, energetic efficiency and low maintenance?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6560 posts
2955 upvotes
Markham
DianaN007222 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 6:26 am
15 year furnace is leaking. It’s the original furnace that the builder installed. Is it worth hiring someone to fix the leak or better to just purchase a new furnace? On average how long does a furnace last? What brand is the best for cost, energetic efficiency and low maintenance?
Best to give Craig a call and see. I doubt anyone but Craig actually deals with this stuff, on this thread at least.
Jun 1, 2010
310 posts
43 upvotes
DianaN007222 wrote:
Thanks for your question. What is specifically leaking? Water? I would be pleased to provide you with some honest recommendations. Please PM me at your convenience or also feel free to call me at 416-524-7228,.
Thanks,
Craig
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1646 posts
334 upvotes
Markham
DianaN007222 wrote:
Best to give Craig a call and see. I doubt anyone but Craig actually deals with this stuff, on this thread at least.

P.S. Anikiri, Craig likes me more. He told me.
Jun 1, 2010
310 posts
43 upvotes
BDSL wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:42 am

Thats funny BDSL.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9713 posts
889 upvotes
RFD
Hi Craig,

Do you guys do a no-charge visit to come and inspect the current furnace, if its worth to fix, and or give us options on a brand new unit?

Can you PM me for details?
fourseasoncomfort wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:17 am
I hope I can help here. I am not aware of any code violation regarding the location of the furnace to the back wall? I would recommend contacting your contractor and discussing why the furnace was not relocated to the agreed position. Perhaps the installers did not relocate the furnace as its current location is to code? Its worth getting in touch with your contractor to discuss this and is always important to have as much detail on the invoice/contract so there is no misunderstanding. If you need to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly.
Thanks,
Craig
416-524-7228
Jun 1, 2010
310 posts
43 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 2:41 pm
Hi Craig,

Do you guys do a no-charge visit to come and inspect the current furnace, if its worth to fix, and or give us options on a brand new unit?

Can you PM me for details?
Thanks for your question.
We do not charge to meet you at your home to discuss furnace replacement recommendations. Please call me at 416-524-7228 to discuss.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
6560 posts
2955 upvotes
Markham
BDSL wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:42 am

=(
Sep 26, 2010
599 posts
66 upvotes
fourseasoncomfort wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 7:58 am
Thats funny BDSL.
Just adding one more positive review to this thread. Craig had staff install an Ecobee 4 today, both at the furnace and on the wall, along with setup and configuration. The installation was efficient and the gentleman was courteous and seemed to be very familiar with this model. The furnace itself was installed a couple of months ago by Four Season Comfort and so I was looking for a professional and clean install of the thermostat as well. Payment made easily by e-transfer, no need for cash on hand or digging out an ancient cheque.

I come from a family of professional contractors, and without an hvac expert in the family I’m pleased that the work we can’t do ourselves is done right.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1646 posts
334 upvotes
Markham
catpurrcat wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:22 pm
I come from a family of professional contractors, and without an hvac expert in the family I’m pleased that the work we can’t do ourselves is done right.
Its hard to find reliable and responsible people (contractors, colleagues, friends, and even families) these days.....