• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2014 10:58 am
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2014
23 posts
Markham, ON

2014 Big 4/CPA Recruitment Thread - Interviews/Offers

With fall CPA recruitment in full swing for the Big 4, mid-sized firms, and ATO firms, I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread so we can all post updates on interviews and offers.

Please post your school as well. Good luck everyone!
38 replies
Jun 1, 2009
56 posts
4 upvotes
KPMG interview offers came out today (UTSC)
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
good luck guys!

this was a pretty exciting time in my undergrad
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
So what's the usual timeline for applying, interviews & offers (if any) for these? Not in the field myself, but have a friend who is and he can't seem to get any offers and is bouncing around.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
most applications are due already or by the end of the month. the big 4 like keeners who are top on of things, so they recruit right away when school starts. plus they don't want the best talent being hired by someone else.

interviews and offers would go out next month, or maybe in november for slower offices.

if your friend is an accountant he should be on top of this ASAP.
Jul 18, 2008
175 posts
26 upvotes
At my big 4 firm for downtown Toronto and the GTA, resume screening started on the weekend and interviews are next week, so people should hear from us this week.

We signed a targeted student yesterday though so if we really really want you, an offer would have been sent out already.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
Dracious wrote: At my big 4 firm for downtown Toronto and the GTA, resume screening started on the weekend and interviews are next week, so people should hear from us this week.

We signed a targeted student yesterday though so if we really really want you, an offer would have been sent out already.
Do you (the company) go out and find these targets somehow? Previous intern? Or is that just someone really good that you spotted among the pile of applicants?
So basically the people applied around August then it seems?

I think my friend is screwed, he just doesn't seem to keep up with these timings/opporturnities close enough, sigh.
Jan 27, 2008
645 posts
24 upvotes
I used to work for one of the Big4 and helped out with some campus recruiting events. I was assigned to the "Target Schools" in the GTA and surrounding area.

Basically, there are three typical methods of getting the recruiters to notice you:
1) Attend networking events hosted by your university/business club. Hold intelligent conversation the reps there. Don't annoy us with silly questions or be too much of a keener. You might have heard from people that we keep a "yes", "maybe" and "no" pile of people we meet in these events, well its true.
2) Be a coop/intern and show them that you are capable. Some of my friends received offers this way on their last coop term before they even finished their last school year.
3) Be in a leadership position of your university's accounting/business club, coordinate with the firms to host events in your school

and oh.. #4) Have connections... If the Partner likes you, they will tell HR to call you directly, skip all the screening ect

If you just plan to submit your resume online, the chance of getting a call back from HR is very low.
Jul 18, 2008
175 posts
26 upvotes
boyohboy wrote: Do you (the company) go out and find these targets somehow? Previous intern? Or is that just someone really good that you spotted among the pile of applicants?
So basically the people applied around August then it seems?

I think my friend is screwed, he just doesn't seem to keep up with these timings/opporturnities close enough, sigh.
Pretty much from past interactions, be it from past events they attend, past events they help organize through their schools accounting society etc. When we go to events as a firm we already have students in mind we want to talk to from past interactions and then we are each assigned specific students to continue to build a relationship and either we like then more or like them less.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
206bw wrote: I used to work for one of the Big4 and helped out with some campus recruiting events. I was assigned to the "Target Schools" in the GTA and surrounding area.

Basically, there are three typical methods of getting the recruiters to notice you:
1) Attend networking events hosted by your university/business club. Hold intelligent conversation the reps there. Don't annoy us with silly questions or be too much of a keener. You might have heard from people that we keep a "yes", "maybe" and "no" pile of people we meet in these events, well its true.
2) Be a coop/intern and show them that you are capable. Some of my friends received offers this way on their last coop term before they even finished their last school year.
3) Be in a leadership position of your university's accounting/business club, coordinate with the firms to host events in your school

and oh.. #4) Have connections... If the Partner likes you, they will tell HR to call you directly, skip all the screening ect

If you just plan to submit your resume online, the chance of getting a call back from HR is very low.
This is pretty accurate and applies to consulting firms.
Sep 5, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
Dracious wrote: At my big 4 firm for downtown Toronto and the GTA, resume screening started on the weekend and interviews are next week, so people should hear from us this week.

How many resumes did your firm receive and what percentage of that would get a job? What are the deciding factors in an offer (ie. min GPA, leadership roles, etc.)?
Mar 1, 2012
6 posts
TORONTO
Hello guys. I am just wondering if anyone has got a second round interview invitation from Big Four.
Sep 5, 2014
23 posts
Markham, ON
cecisa wrote: Hello guys. I am just wondering if there is anyone has got the invitation for the PwC second round interview for the Toronto office? I got a phone interview but have not heard back from them since that.
Which school are you applying from? They had their PPTC yesterday for certain schools.
Mar 1, 2012
6 posts
TORONTO
Yea some people did. I wish I had more information too...
Sep 5, 2014
23 posts
Markham, ON
PwC for Toronto schools have gone out and today is the KPMG GTA interview day.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)