• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2015 9:38 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
62 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

2015 Mercedes C400

So there are lots of threads about invoice price and I actually tried to negotiate to the dealer on behalf of my friend using this information. Suffice to say it didn't work well. The discount was a miniscule 2%.

The theory that I have here is that MB is a premium brand where most buyers are high spending individuals who just pay the price tag. Similar to Apple product I guess.

Does anybody have a better negotiating experience with MB?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: just helping a friend to save $, and yes, my friend is loaded
60 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23299 posts
2827 upvotes
Montreal
penembak wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 8:14 pm
So there are lots of threads about invoice price and I actually tried to negotiate to the dealer on behalf of my friend using this information. Suffice to say it didn't work well. The discount was a miniscule 2%.

The theory that I have here is that MB is a premium brand where most buyers are high spending individuals who just pay the price tag. Similar to Apple product I guess.

Thanks in advance.

MB will discount, and heavily so, when needed. Unfortunately the c400 is a brand new model in short supply, so negotiation is stiffer. You can get an old c300 for 10k below msrp if any are still around.
Jul 19, 2004
936 posts
244 upvotes
Vancouver
penembak wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks in advance.

Problem is that you live in Vancouver and not Toronto. All the invoice + x% prices you hear are out east.

Dealerships in Vancouver generally don't give much discounts.
Mar 4, 2006
135 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
The new C-classes just came out and have been selling like hotcakes - I would be surprised if they gave any sort of discount on them.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2685 posts
762 upvotes
Lethbridge
someone16 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 9:41 pm
Problem is that you live in Vancouver and not Toronto. All the invoice + x% prices you hear are out east.

Dealerships in Vancouver generally don't give much discounts.
This.

I've had the same problem in Alberta - I have literally had an offer (at a healthy invoice +5% for a last-year model & already on their lot) rejected because they wouldn't "discount" it further than the manufacturer's $7k reduction. No budging, not even when I called back later and asked for the sales manager - They let it sit for 3-4 months before moving it rather than make the sale for less.

The other problem here is the same couple massive dealer groups own everything - "Oh, Don't like the pricing in at XX dealership? That's too bad because we own half this block & half the other dealer brands in the city too - LOL @ YOU, now pay that MSRP if you want this car, bitch"

Lastly, you're also looking at a brand new model. While the deals can be had, there's far less room for negotiation & reason to let it go for less when they can't keep a car on the lot...
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23299 posts
2827 upvotes
Montreal
Aren't all MB dealers corporate owned? That doesn't stop the one's in Montreal from slashing prices when needed. Even BMW does it. Only Audi has some discipline in this regard.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25099 posts
9983 upvotes
Toronto
If you wait for about 6-9 months time, you will probably have better luck in getting more decent % off. Right now, everyone wants one.
May 21, 2013
815 posts
367 upvotes
Montreal
As others mentioned, if the car model has recently been released and has been selling like hot cakes... The dealer has all the power in the world to bend you over.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6074 posts
832 upvotes
There might be incentive at year end (December). Yes, it's selling like hot cakes. If you put in an order for the C300, it will not be available until early Dec or so. I would wait for a few months until year end. I always buy in year end and it works for me. Dealerships want to sell as many cars as possible and may sell for much lower profit.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4299 upvotes
Just go light on the options. If you go crazy you can easily end up with a C-Class that costs over $70,000.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
62 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2014 12:20 pm
Just go light on the options. If you go crazy you can easily end up with a C-Class that costs over $70,000.
Haha, yeah no kidding. The sales person was so "skilled" (I think he was somewhat honest), he said the only one available (if I want to have the car in the next two week) is the one with LED lighting option "AND" automatic trunk closer, priced at $1200 and $700 accordingly. Options can bump the cost up quite significantly. He said it's better than getting other options like "intelligent drive" or "sports package".

The interesting thing that the MB sales person mentioned is that MB does not deal with auto broker. So perhaps MB has strict "discount" rules in BC. He also assured me that I won't be able to get better deal than 2% at this time... I guess we'll see as I'm going to broker to see what he can get for this car.
May 8, 2007
940 posts
255 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
OP - what is your impression of the C400 (and the 2015 C300) from visiting the dealer? Reviews look good.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4614 posts
1686 upvotes
Is the C400 faster than previous generation C350 or did they just change the numbers?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25099 posts
9983 upvotes
Toronto
^ you need to drive slower so everyone can admire the new C
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
62 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
adams7 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2014 3:16 pm
OP - what is your impression of the C400 (and the 2015 C300) from visiting the dealer? Reviews look good.
As a disclaimer, driving habit wise, I'm pretty good, so I don't need intelligent assist or auto park, or anything of that sort. Also, I am more likely to compensate on lower model + package as I don't need the higher model.

Think C300 fits the bill better and it already look pretty awesome. Comparing it to C400, I don't need the extra features additional horse power and the cosmetics are mostly just nice to have. I'd go with C300 plus a few package, like sport package. That said, they are really nice cars.

Now, one thing I haven't done is compare this C300 with others like BMW, Audi or even Jaguar (like the new XE, which is complete badass from looks perspective). My impression is that MB and Audi (in general) are for older customers.