Students

2015 University Grads! How does the future look?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2017 2:04 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2010
640 posts
212 upvotes
Ottawa

2015 University Grads! How does the future look?

I've seen lots of comments on how terrible the market for new grads is right now and I thought this would be an interesting thread to see how people are doing. Please post if you are a new grad regardless if you have a job or not.

Use the following format:

Do you have a job?
What is the job?
What is your degree?
What school you from?
Would you recommend your major?

I'll start,

Do you have a job? I managed to find a job
What is the job? Software Engineering at a Telecom.
What is your degree? Computer Engineering
What school did you attend? University of Ottawa

Would you recommend your major?
All in all, I thought University was worth attending, but only because I carefully selected my program based on employability. I wasn't sure I would like my major, but I grew to enjoy it. Employment prospects with this degree are great (especially if you concentrate on software) and I would definitely recommend it to new high school graduates if money and stable job is what you are after.
40 replies
May 2, 2012
113 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a job? I have a part-time job (unrelated to my major, more like a summer job) that I can commence full-time in the summer and onwards while looking for something more related to my major.

What is the job? My current position is Supervisor at Shoppers Drug Mart.

What is your degree? I will be getting a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting major.)

What school did you attend? I'm from Ryerson University.

Would you recommend your major? Yes. But I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a top tier school that's heavily recruited, like Schulich, Ivey, or Waterloo etc. Ryerson isn't bad, they're starting to make a name for themselves now.. but with Canada's biggest Undergrad faculty, competition is tough and for accounting (especially from Big 4 firms), we're still second fiddle. That's not to say people from Ryerson don't get jobs, they do. I started to really enjoy my degree in the last year. Advanced courses are tough, but once you understand the "Why" on top of the "How", it does get easier.
Nov 26, 2013
85 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My situation is slightly different since I'll be graduating from professional school this year.

Do you have a job? Yes, I'm starting at the end of June

What is the job? Veterinarian

What is your degree? Bachelor of Health Sciences (2011), Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (2015)

What school you from? McMaster University, University of Guelph

Would you recommend your major? I would recommend a BHSc as a generic science degree, obviously it doesn't lead to any employment opportunities directly (as with all other life/health science programs) but it was a good stepping stone for me to get into professional school. I always knew I wanted to be a veterinarian so I had always planned on pursuing further education following undergrad. For people that don't plan on going to graduate/professional school, no I would not recommend doing a BHSc. As for veterinary medicine, it is a stable job market and there are jobs available for new grads as long as you're willing to relocate and don't have your heart set on working in the GTA.
Sep 29, 2014
156 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you have a job? Nope

What is your degree? Honours Bachelor of Arts in Criminology & Sociology

What school did you attend? York University

What will you be doing? Attending Osgoode Hall Law School in the Fall

Would you recommend you major? Unless one wanted to pursue their phD or go to law school, I absolutely do not recommend getting a Bachelor of Arts degree (other than perhaps Economics). The same goes for Bachelor of Science degrees unless one was looking into pursuing graduate and professional school in the program. The future looks pretty bleak for BA and BSc majors and many of my peers graduating this year are also unemployed and looking to go back to college and university for a more practical program.
Mar 8, 2015
9 posts
Toronto, ON
Do you have a job? Does university TA count as a part time job?
What is the job? TA?
What is your degree? Master of Music
What school you from? Will be attending uOttawa (BEd, 2017). Graduated Temple University (MM, 2015), Indiana University (BM, 2013)
Would you recommend your major? No, unless you know you are exceptionally gifted. I know I should have gone into Nursing or Paramedics. But it's too late now. Will be attending teacher's college and join the hunt for teaching position.... yay!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2408 posts
367 upvotes
counterpointer wrote:
Apr 9th, 2015 1:46 pm
Do you have a job? Does university TA count as a part time job?
What is the job? TA?
What is your degree? Master of Music
What school you from? Will be attending uOttawa (BEd, 2017). Graduated Temple University (MM, 2015), Indiana University (BM, 2013)
Would you recommend your major? No, unless you know you are exceptionally gifted. I know I should have gone into Nursing or Paramedics. But it's too late now. Will be attending teacher's college and join the hunt for teaching position.... yay!
It's not too late for you to change your mind if you're already committed to two years of school. Go to nursing school.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1951 posts
192 upvotes
Thornhill
Do you have a job? no

What is your degree? Honours Bachelor of Arts in English

What will you be doing? Attending Teacher's College

Would you recommend you major?
you know what, absolutely not.

the 4 years i spent doing what i love was fantastic (analyzing literature, studying, reading and researching), meeting fantastic profs and people. however, you must know that with an english degree, you can't do anything. ANYTHING. i knew that before i entered into it, and i knew i'd be doing teaching, so it didn't effect me as much. but it is so broad and so many people do it for the sake of going to University, without knowing what comes out of it. if you must do it, be prepared to go to grad school or teachers college.
out of my graduating class, half are in Teachers college and other half is in grad.
0% chance you'll get a job as a English major.
consider college for a more hands on program or look into alternatives if you're concerned for your future,
but if you have the money and time to invest, go for the english degree for the sake of education you love.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1861 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Do you have a job? Yes.
What is the job? Bartender.
What is your degree? Bachelor of Social Sciences (Major in Criminology, Minor in Business).
What school you from? University of Ottawa.
Would you recommend your major? No.
Mar 8, 2015
9 posts
Toronto, ON
Phlegmbot wrote:
Apr 9th, 2015 1:50 pm
It's not too late for you to change your mind if you're already committed to two years of school. Go to nursing school.
Nah, I'm too invested in my field. And I didn't think there were 2-year nursing degrees. Even if there were, how can I compete with people with 4-year degrees in nursing? I don't have any biology credits either. Going into nursing now with almost no background is just as bad as going into teaching, if not worse. Or at least that's how I see it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1951 posts
192 upvotes
Thornhill
counterpointer wrote:
Apr 9th, 2015 2:00 pm
Nah, I'm too invested in my field. And I didn't think there were 2-year nursing degrees. Even if there were, how can I compete with people with 4-year degrees in nursing? I don't have any biology credits either. Going into nursing now with almost no background is just as bad as going into teaching, if not worse. Or at least that's how I see it.
yeah, my gf is entering a 2 year nursing at uoft (also available at york, western, etc) but i see your point.
Jul 1, 2009
653 posts
104 upvotes
Do you have a job? No
What will you be doing? Grad school. BHSc in Clinical Engineering
What is your degree? Bachelor of Applied Science (same as B.Eng in the US) in Engineering Science (Biomedical Systems Engineering)
What school you from? UofT
Would you recommend your major? As long as you are dedicated. Its tough, but its definitely worth the experience. But don't choose my option (BMSE) if a job is what you want (directly out of school). There is a tiny tiny tiny market for those with a bachelors in biomedical engineering, unless you're into programming.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1251 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have a job? Currently in an internship related to my major until the end of the semester. Have a potential FT job lined up for July assuming I pass all my courses this year and a few other contingencies.

What is the job? Position with the Province of Ontario. Not sure what the exact title of the job is since we just finished the interview process but probably something like Financial Analyst.

What is your degree? I will be getting a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting major.)

What school did you attend? Ryerson University.

Would you recommend your major? In general, yes but it's not for everyone.

Go to the "easiest" known school that guarantees you co-op position. If you want to be a CPA, go to a known school that you think you can get the highest marks with a co-op program. Once you have co-op/internship experience, only thing separating you from other candidates is your GPA. If you're really smart, go for the best schools out there. But if you're not near the top and know you might struggle with the marking criteria, teaching styles or being trapped in the unfairness of bell curves, may as well play the odds and go to a school where you can get an easier grade. A "B" at a prestige school isn't worth more than an "A" in a secondary school, especially when you use the same textbooks as other schools and learn the same core material. Of course experience is still the most important so go to a school with co-op (unless you know for sure you can get internships without co-op program from like families or external applications).
Jan 25, 2012
257 posts
13 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Do you have a job? No, but I do have an interview for right after I graduate so I am really hoping I get that job.
What will you be doing? Hoping to secure the job or more interviews, alongside CFA preparation.
What is your degree? Bachelor of Commerce - Finance Specialization
What school you from? Ryerson University
Would you recommend your major? Finance is a great major. However, any future students are enrolled in their new Accounting & Finance program which is way better and comes with co-op so that'll be a whole (much better) experience than I even got.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2408 posts
367 upvotes
counterpointer wrote:
You can enjoy music for your entire life outside of your day job.

You can do nursing in two years. For example: http://www.health.uottawa.ca/undergradu ... isites.htm

Spend 12 months taking every pre-req you require, then apply. Volunteer on the side to help your chances. Play gigs here and there for a little money too.
May 28, 2012
9371 posts
1748 upvotes
Saskatoon
counterpointer wrote:
Go with what you are good at and what interests you...I don't know why people are always saying go into trades when not everyone wants to work in that environment, or to go into nursing when they clearly have no interest (or aptitude?) for the sciences.

Sure, getting into a "hot" field increases your chances of getting a job...but it also depends a lot on the individual. They need to have good enough social and communication skills to give them the edge over others.