• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 12:43 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
723 posts
137 upvotes
Vaughan

2016 Civic - Capless Fuel Filler Question

this is probably a stupid question. but i went for a car wash today (petro season pass holder) and right after, i went to fill up the gas. When i opened the fuel filler door, there was quite a bit of soap in there. Is this supposed to happen or should the fuel filler door be sealed and shut tight? (It was definitely shut tight when i drove into the carwash). Also, every time I fill up the gas tank on this civic, it almost always overflows. Shortly after the gas pump clicks back because the tank is filled full, the gas overflows. This has not happened to any other vehicle i've owned so I'm wondering if this is just an isolated civic problem. Lastly, there's a small hole under the fuel filler. Does this lead to the actual fuel tank? I.e. any overfill flows into this hole. I'm curious because I'm assuming that it would be a bad thing given that there was soap, water and other debris there.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2431 posts
1259 upvotes
GTA
It's a civic. Don't keep your hopes high. Honda today is nowhere near what "H" emblem used to represent. Just trade it in for Elantra, before it gets worse.
Jan 12, 2013
419 posts
313 upvotes
Halifax
It’s normal. The cap less filler has a cover where you insert the pump into the tank, it should seal tight enough to keep things out. The actual fuel door (that you push to open to get to the filler) is not sealed tight, nor is it on any vehicle really.. I wouldn’t worry about it.

To answer your other questions don’t take the gas pump nozzle right out of the tank when it clicks off, just wait a couple seconds and then pull it out. That should solve most of what you’re seeing overflow.

Also, that little hole is there for the sole purpose of draining excess fuel that might spill out. It’s so that the gas doesn’t run down the body panels.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1510 posts
913 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
Tommy74 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:57 am
It's a civic. Don't keep your hopes high. Honda today is nowhere near what "H" emblem used to represent. Just trade it in for Elantra, before it gets worse.
The Elantra is a piece of junk, Hyundai shill.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
723 posts
137 upvotes
Vaughan
TBBA29 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:46 am
Also, that little hole is there for the sole purpose of draining excess fuel that might spill out. It’s so that the gas doesn’t run down the body panels.
where does the excess fuel from that hole drain into though? in the gas tank? or just eventually somewhere on the floor? if in the gas tank, doesn't take cause an issue since water, soap and debris (like sand and dirt) also get into the hole?
Jan 12, 2013
419 posts
313 upvotes
Halifax
otaknap wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:57 am
where does the excess fuel from that hole drain into though? in the gas tank? or just eventually somewhere on the floor? if in the gas tank, doesn't take cause an issue since water, soap and debris (like sand and dirt) also get into the hole?
It drains to ground somewhere. Not sure where, but it definitely doesn’t go back to the tank.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4286 posts
213 upvotes
Peterborough
Same issue on my Ford. After a car wash the actual fuel door is wide open, probably due to the powerful blower fans that dry your car.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1257 posts
828 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:53 pm
this is probably a stupid question. but i went for a car wash today (petro season pass holder) and right after, i went to fill up the gas. When i opened the fuel filler door, there was quite a bit of soap in there.

I had the same concern, the filler can collect dirt and dust. And when you fill the tank it washes down into the tank.

I use a plastic cap and cover it, keeps it clean

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10635 upvotes
Ottawa
Tha_Doggg wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:46 am
Same issue on my Ford. After a car wash the actual fuel door is wide open, probably due to the powerful blower fans that dry your car.
Never happened to my Explorer in the 3yrs of ownership.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5053 posts
1448 upvotes
Alberta
iflyplanes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:03 am
The Elantra is a piece of junk, Hyundai shill.
Kinda is a bigger piece of junk. I know, I own 2 of them.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2378 posts
1644 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:53 pm
this is probably a stupid question. but i went for a car wash today (petro season pass holder) and right after, i went to fill up the gas. When i opened the fuel filler door, there was quite a bit of soap in there. Is this supposed to happen or should the fuel filler door be sealed and shut tight? (It was definitely shut tight when i drove into the carwash). Also, every time I fill up the gas tank on this civic, it almost always overflows. Shortly after the gas pump clicks back because the tank is filled full, the gas overflows. This has not happened to any other vehicle i've owned so I'm wondering if this is just an isolated civic problem. Lastly, there's a small hole under the fuel filler. Does this lead to the actual fuel tank? I.e. any overfill flows into this hole. I'm curious because I'm assuming that it would be a bad thing given that there was soap, water and other debris there.
Are you the type that likes to squeeze every dollar you can into the gas tank even after it has shut off?
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3568 posts
3369 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Detergents are great for keeping your engine clean. It's a bonus.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1354 posts
1243 upvotes
GTA
6mthatch wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:49 pm
Are you the type that likes to squeeze every dollar you can into the gas tank even after it has shut off?
You mean jiggling the handle in the filler so the last bit of fuel doesn't drip on your paint?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2378 posts
1644 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:56 pm
You mean jiggling the handle in the filler so the last bit of fuel doesn't drip on your paint?
na, like shoving another few bucks in the tank ;)
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
723 posts
137 upvotes
Vaughan
6mthatch wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 6:49 pm
no. i'm not. as soon as it clicks, i stop. I'm not the type to round to the closest dollar since I pay by credit anyway. problem is that as soon as it clicks, it overflows. In fact, it sometimes overflows right before it clicks.