Automotive

Locked: 2016 Golf R low mileage what is a fair sell price?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 12:02 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
aleks wrote:
You're forgetting about freight/Pdi and dealer fees. All of that adds up before negotiations. Puts the 2018 DSG DAP at over 47k before HST.
What dealer fees are there? According to Unhaggle, there should be up to $2,284 in additional dealer fees, including PDI and freight. This puts the "invoice price" of a Golf R with DAP and DSG at $43,500.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11298 posts
6301 upvotes
Ontario
geokilla wrote: What dealer fees are there? According to Unhaggle, there should be up to $2,284 in additional dealer fees, including PDI and freight. This puts the "invoice price" of a Golf R with DAP and DSG at $43,500.
Let me know if you can get one at invoice. Also, here is a quick reality check directly from vw.ca. Built it as close to my specs as possible. Now I get that this is msrp, but last time I checked not many dealers will knock much of on R, or even GTI. How much $$$ off did you get on your 2018 GTI?

:arrowd: $53,439 (all in, msrp.). Then again you also add tint (~$300-400) mats(~$120), trunk liner (~$150), wheel locks ($90), + all other fees that dealer likes to charge (ex $400 admin, $$$etching, etc. that most RFDs claim they remove) and you are all set for over $54k easily . My ask is $14.5k less with 15k km, or about $1k less for each 1k km.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180516-211336_1.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6568 posts
4488 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote: Let me know if you can get one at invoice. Also, here is a quick reality check directly from vw.ca. Built it as close to my specs as possible. Now I get that this is msrp, but last time I checked not many dealers will knock much of on R, or even GTI. How much $$$ off did you get on your 2018 GTI?

:arrowd: $53,439 (all in, msrp.). Then again you also add tint (~$300-400) mats(~$120), trunk liner (~$150), wheel locks ($90), + all other fees that dealer likes to charge (ex $400 admin, $$$etching, etc. that most RFDs claim they remove) and you are all set for over $54k easily . My ask is $14.5k less with 15k km, or about $1k less for each 1k km.
Unless you're paying the taxes for the buyer, your car is not $14,500 less than new.

You're falling into the trap that sellers think their car is something it's not. It is by no means a rear car, I see more R's than I do STi's and they are still churning them out.

When I was looking for a new car I was able to get $2000 off without much effort (manual, onyx white, tech) plus no etching, and half the dealer fees because I didn't want them to detail the car.

Then you have to subtract the 2 years of extra warranty and other upgrades the new 2018 R's offer and the gap of your $37000 2016 vs new 2018 is much smaller.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Andro wrote: Let me know if you can get one at invoice. Also, here is a quick reality check directly from vw.ca. Built it as close to my specs as possible. Now I get that this is msrp, but last time I checked not many dealers will knock much of on R, or even GTI. How much $$$ off did you get on your 2018 GTI?

I walked out at just over $44k tax included for my GTI Autobahn DAP + DSG. No extra fees that you mentioned aside from the admin. I negotiated with the OTR price. Could I have got it at $44k or under? Probably if I pushed harder. I know another guy got the exact same car as me for just over $43k. This is with no factory incentives btw.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11298 posts
6301 upvotes
Ontario
Ok. I think I now get the RFD community feel on car value. I will now sell it for $1 and call it a day)

On a serious note, I do thank those that added constructive comments and assisted with sale price and conditions of sale. Appreciate your contribution.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Problem with majority of used car sellers is that they keep looking at retail value. Guess what, as a private sale it is not worth retail period.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
Why was this moved to “wheel and tire”?

Pass the popcorn BTW
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11298 posts
6301 upvotes
Ontario
Swerny wrote: Why was this moved to “wheel and tire”?

Pass the popcorn BTW
I expired the thread as it seemed we were now going back and forth with no new/relevant info. I got the information I needed and thanked constructive contributors. Not sure why it went in wheel and tire though.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Why are you selling? It's a travesty to have a good r as a garage queen.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: Sell it on Club Wolfsburg.

I'm not sure if you can get $37k + tax for a 2016 Golf R with technology package. A base 2018 Golf R DSG is listed at $43k. Haggle a bit and it'll be down to $41k or even $40k before taxes. Adding the DAP puts the list price at $45k so probably can get a brand new one for $43k? I think $32k is a more reasonable price?
daivey wrote: Right, but that's a 2018.... This is a 2016. So brand new vs. used. Bit of a different beast.
I think OP will be able to get $33,000 to $34,000. LIke someone else said here, this is a niche car, the person that wants a Golf R wants a Golf R.. .BUT there is a lot of USED options at VW dealerships.

I just found one on Autotrader:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/g ... 9&sprx=100

$37,000 for 10k km, and from a dealership. If I wanted to buy this car, I'd need to save at least $5,000 to go private... So I think the person that said $32,000 is right....

OP said hes not in rush to sell, but like another user pointed out, 2019 model is right around the corner.. That makes your car 3 years old.

anyway good luck OP! let us know what u get for it.
lol at you guys, did you not see this post?
AJDumo wrote: For reference, my dad recently traded in his 2016 Golf R, DSG/Tech as well. He got $34,000 with ~25,000km on the ODO.

EDIT: dealership will have to make profit, so your $37,500 seems about right. Always start higher than what you actually want when selling privately.
And you clams are suggesting less than what a dealer offered? True RFD ballers. Please take me car shopping with yous.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: lol at you guys, did you not see this post?

And you clams are suggesting less than what a dealer offered? True RFD ballers. Please take me car shopping with yous.
of course dealer will give you a "good deal" on buy back when you buy a new car at full price with no discount. I mean I dont get your point.
unless u know what kind of deal he got on the new car, for all you know he got taken on the new purchase, so that he can get more on the trade in.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: of course dealer will give you a "good deal" on buy back when you buy a new car at full price with no discount. I mean I dont get your point.
unless u know what kind of deal he got on the new car, for all you know he got taken on the new purchase, so that he can get more on the trade in.
lol what? Are you aware of how the buying/leasing new car process works? Also, you are assuming that there was a new car purchase. I don't get your point.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: lol what? Are you aware of how the buying/leasing new car process works? Also, you are assuming that there was a new car purchase. I don't get your point.
Its not complicated
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: Its not complicated
Nope, I get it. Trade in golf r, pay base golf mspr and get added bonus of free cash.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Nope, I get it. Trade in golf r, pay base golf mspr and get added bonus of free cash.
So without knowing the details then it's hard to say if that's true dealer buy back.
Only way to know for sure is op negotiated on purchase and then said he had a trade in and negotiated on that.
Not everyone does that. Not everyone is pro hagler
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: So without knowing the details then it's hard to say if that's true dealer buy back.
Only way to know for sure is op negotiated on purchase and then said he had a trade in and negotiated on that.
Not everyone does that. Not everyone is pro hagler
Pro Tip: A dealer will buy a car without having you to purchase one in return.
Swerny wrote: looks like OP posted it for $39,500

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/volkswagen/ ... 4&sprx=100
That's the correct move for sure.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Locked by request of OP

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)