• Oct 6th, 2016 9:29 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2005
956 posts
33 upvotes

2016 Pick up Softball - PLAYERS WANTED

Edit: 10/06/2016

Hey guys and girls!

We're running our last scheduled game of the year! We'll still be doing last minute games if and when there's interest but this is it! If you haven't played with us this year or at all, now is your chance! We're currently sitting on 35 players so getting 5-10 more people would be perfect!

Date: Saturday October 8th
Time: 12:00pm!

Let me know! Thanks!
D

Shoot me an email at xchodax@gmail.com

Team Bring Dee Money: 12
Team Smashhum: 14

Thank you to all 20 people who made it out for game 2! I know it was a bit rough and I was a bit worried that we might not have had enough to run a game but it turned out to be super fun! Everyone got to bat more and we didn't have to sub! We even had a few massive homers! Thank you again for braving the cold and giving everyone an awesome game!

Email me at xchodax@gmail.com

Team Assist Program

I've also joined a team assist program! If anyone is looking to purchase new gear, please speak with me first! (Please also let me know if this is allowed, If not, I will remove this section)

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me!

Please Read

How do I get to play?

1. Emails & RFD Updates
I'll update my main post with game day details. I'll also send out emails. If you don't check RFD frequently, private message me.

2. RSVP
Let me know which games you can make. You can email me (xchodax@gmail.com), PM me here, or send me a quick text (ask me for my number)

3. Read the "Game Day Rules"
General and easy to read!

4. Check your emails/main post often
If a game has to be cancelled or postponed (weather) I'll update my main post and send out an email to only those who RSVP'd.

5. Can't make a game?
If you already RSVP'd and something comes up (things happen) - let me know. Because of this whole RSVP thing, I have to keep an eye on attendance. So if you can't make it, let me know as soon as possible so I can find a replacement. For winter games only:If you rsvp to come out and need to cancel, please try and give me at least 24 hours notice so I can find someone to replace you. I get that things come up last minute sometimes, so in the event that that happens, I'll try to find a replacement but if I can't, you'll be on the hook for that night. (Shouldn't be too much of a problem, we have a good amount of players to kick us off)

Game Day Rules

1. BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS
Leave your ego at the door. Trash talking is fine but keep it classy people. Anyone who is deliberately offensive gets the boot!

2. Bring drinks/snack
Know your body. Keep hydrated!

3. Be safe
No flip flops, heels, skirts etc. If you have cleats, wear em! If you're feeling ill, let someone know! It gets hot out there guys and not everyone can handle the heat.

4. Respect the park and neighborhood
Pick up after yourselves. Use the trash bins. No screaming or yelling for no reason.

5. Socialize & have fun!
You're surrounded by people who love the game. It's much more fun when you're playing with friends rather than strangers.

7. Stick to the Game!
If you're there to play..play! Don't go chasing butterflies or go playing on the swings. It's disrespectful to the other team if they're committed and you're not.

8. Stretch!
Keep loose. You know your body better than anyone else there.
Last edited by xchodax on Oct 6th, 2016 9:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
1416 replies
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6284 posts
442 upvotes
Help me
Is this near the community centre? I play roller hockey there, I will be done at 3:30. I will come out and check it out if you are still there. I've been teaching Kindergartens to Grade 3s over the past week how to play baseball. I'll share my pointers with the newbs! =)
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
I'd love to play. Haven't played a real game at all since high school and I haven't swung a bat since my shoulder injuries. I'll come out one day to check it out once summer school calms down a bit. Too many tests and assignments in June.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6705 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I may be down with my gf for some in the west end
[OP]
Jun 14, 2005
956 posts
33 upvotes
Mr.Sea wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 6:36 pm
Is this near the community centre? I play roller hockey there, I will be done at 3:30. I will come out and check it out if you are still there. I've been teaching Kindergartens to Grade 3s over the past week how to play baseball. I'll share my pointers with the newbs! =)
Sweet. We'll probably still be there (if the field isn't already occupied) shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number. Just so your not standing around looking for us!
Psubs wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 7:06 pm
I'd be down!
Sweet! Sent you a pm!
toeknee89 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 9:03 pm
I'd love to play. Haven't played a real game at all since high school and I haven't swung a bat since my shoulder injuries. I'll come out one day to check it out once summer school calms down a bit. Too many tests and assignments in June.
Sweet! There's a bunch of us who are just starting out or just getting back into the game. And it's only for a few hours a weekend, if you can make it out sometime, we'd love to have you out!
matdwyer wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 10:41 pm
I may be down with my gf for some in the west end
Sweet, I'll try to set something up closer to sauga next week or the week after. Pm your location and I'll try to find a diamond near you!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6571 posts
269 upvotes
York
Probably gonna be a dumb question.. when you say softball do you mean just underhand throws from the mound to home with a real baseball or that inflated, bigger, softball?
[OP]
Jun 14, 2005
956 posts
33 upvotes
Psubs wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:42 am
No need to go that far west. Etobicoke or so is great.
Haha that'd be perfect. I actually have a few friends in Etobicoke who want to play but don't want to make the trip out to the east end. I'll update you once I plan something there.
dankup wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 11:18 am
Probably gonna be a dumb question.. when you say softball do you mean just underhand throws from the mound to home with a real baseball or that inflated, bigger, softball?
Not dumb at all! But yes, the bigger ball that we lob (slopitch).

We do have a few guys who toss around a baseball during warm ups and after games which is completely fine, we've even had a few pitch overhand during batting warm ups (no one in the in field cept batter, pitcher, back catcher). The reasons why I don't want to set up fast pitch is because, it'll exclude beginners, I'd need to buy more equipment (back catcher gear + helmets), and it's way more dangerous and people would be open to getting hurt a lot more.

I do have a few friends who are interested in playing fast pitch, send me a pm if your interested and I'll see if I can set a different pick up event up!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6571 posts
269 upvotes
York
xchodax wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 11:43 am
Haha that'd be perfect. I actually have a few friends in Etobicoke who want to play but don't want to make the trip out to the east end. I'll update you once I plan something there.

Not dumb at all! But yes, the bigger ball that we lob (slopitch).

We do have a few guys who toss around a baseball during warm ups and after games which is completely fine, we've even had a few pitch overhand during batting warm ups (no one in the in field cept batter, pitcher, back catcher). The reasons why I don't want to set up fast pitch is because, it'll exclude beginners, I'd need to buy more equipment (back catcher gear + helmets), and it's way more dangerous and people would be open to getting hurt a lot more.

I do have a few friends who are interested in playing fast pitch, send me a pm if your interested and I'll see if I can set a different pick up event up!
I'm fine with slopitch but I enjoy using the baseball much more than the bigger ball that players use for softball. My glove isn't even big enough for a ball that size. Slopitch - good! Big ball - bad!
[OP]
Jun 14, 2005
956 posts
33 upvotes
dankup wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 12:19 pm
I'm fine with slopitch but I enjoy using the baseball much more than the bigger ball that players use for softball. My glove isn't even big enough for a ball that size. Slopitch - good! Big ball - bad!
Haha, I have spare 14 inch gloves if you need. One of our players use a kiddy glove (8 or 9 inch) and had no problems lol, but I'm with ya.. i'm all about the small balls (no homo) but the big ball is easier to hit and doesn't fly too far. The park we're playing at this weekend is a bit smaller than regulation I think but has a home run fence, I'm hoping for some of us to hit some dingers.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23308 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
dankup wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 12:19 pm
I used to play in a modified softball league where it was fast pitch underhand but no windmill (take arm back to shoulder height). It was really fun and it felt like I was playing baseball, which I've never tried.

Oh, I might have a funeral wake to go to on Sunday, if not Saturday. :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6571 posts
269 upvotes
York
xchodax wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 12:32 pm
Haha, I have spare 14 inch gloves if you need. One of our players use a kiddy glove (8 or 9 inch) and had no problems lol, but I'm with ya.. i'm all about the small balls (no homo) but the big ball is easier to hit and doesn't fly too far. The park we're playing at this weekend is a bit smaller than regulation I think but has a home run fence, I'm hoping for some of us to hit some dingers.
Tell you what - I'm down to try a game to see how it goes even with the larger, "non baseball". Transportation is a proooooblem though so I'll be glad to come out to a North York game. Got excited when you said you played a game at Goulding because that's a 30 minute walk away from me - something I would gladly come out to. Anywhere in North York would be awesome, so please PM when you're in the area with the team.

Couple questions:
1) What's the average age you guys got?
2) How do I find the measurement of my glove? I do need to get a bigger one either way 'cause this one is getting real small.
3) How do you play? Innings? Time limit? Until someone goes home and there aren't enough players?
4) Real baseball set up? 4 infielders, 3 outfielders type thing?

FYI there's a "hidden" baseball diamond at the Dufferin and Steeles area. I don't believe there's a parking nearby so you might have to find one around and trek it to the diamond but it's a great park and I believe not many know about it. Google Maps: Marita Payne Park. Just west of Clark & Dufferin.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
Do you guys play by the 3 pitches to the batter rule? As in you only get to see 3 pitches/ at bat? I refuse to accept that a ball over my head counts as a "strike".
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4589 posts
747 upvotes
Whitby
toeknee89 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 1:20 pm
I refuse to accept that a ball over my head counts as a "strike".
It counts if your team supplies the pitcher-never if the pitcher is on the opposing team like in regular baseball.
× < >