Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes

2016 Subaru WRX & WRX STi Info

Saw this posted on TSC, but for those who are interested:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11504239270 ... ans.com%29

Main changes for WRX:

1) New Star Link System
2) Eye Sight package - interesting. I thought they won't offer this, but apparently they have.
3) Premium and Limited get 18" alloys + summer tires

Main changes for WRX STi:

1) No cost upgrade to rear spoiler (previously you can only get the rear spoiler in Sport and Sport Tech. You have to add it separately in the base model)

2) No cost to new Star Link Infotainment system

3) Limited package gets blind spot and rear cross traffic alert

More links:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 70944.html

US pricing *thanks to er34er34 for pointing this out*:

WRX 26,595(+300 from '15)
WRX Premium 28,895(+400)
WRX Limited 30,395(+300)

STi 34,695 (+200)
STi Limited 39,995 (+1500!)

Official spec sheet?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/87aLbQN.png[/IMG]

CDN Pricing Info: *Thanks to RSXPrem*

2016 WRX Canadian pricing. No increase for the base model and only a $300 increase for the Sport trim. Some mega upgrades for the small bump. I am pretty happy about this!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...502436401.html

http://www.pr.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx...9159&Year=2016
Blanka
106 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Saw this posted on TSC, but for those who are interested:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11504239270 ... ans.com%29

Main changes for WRX:

1) New Star Link System
2) Eye Sight package - interesting. I thought they won't offer this, but apparently they have.
3) Can be upgraded to 18" wheels and tires

Main changes for WRX STi:

1) No cost upgrade to rear spoiler (previously you can only get the rear spoiler in Sport and Sport Tech. You have to add it separately in the base model)

2) No cost to new Star Link Infotainment system

3) Limited package gets blind spot and rear cross traffic alert
People don't need that on their rally cars. Seriously. Rear spoiler, 90s tuner scene?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Yawn.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: People don't need that on their rally cars. Seriously. Rear spoiler, 90s tuner scene?
I believe the rear spoiler could be the wing. The wing is currently offered on the Sport and Sport Tech models.

As for the other features, well I always thought that the Eye System won't come to the WRX and STi, mainly the fact that both cars are performance cars, and they go at fast speeds. Unless the computer is bang on in computing and triggering the safety measures. I agree with you though. The eye sight is not needed on the WRX, but again its an add on option.

Do expect higher prices though for those add-ons. However the 18" wheels + summers is a better choice. I am not a fan of the 17" wheels. A lot of car reviewers complained that it would have been nice if Subaru did give the option for the WRX to come with 18" wheels + tires vs. 17".
Blanka
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
[QUOTE]The WRX can also be equipped with an upgraded EyeSight system with Lane Keep Assist. It uses the vehicle’s electric power steering system to help the driver in their lane[/QUOTE]

What WRX owner would want that?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: What WRX owner would want that?
Not me, but it may sell to those looking for "safety" in a WRX. Mind you, the WRX already has great safety ratings on IIHS. On the other Subarus sure, its great to have it.

Do any other vehicles in the WRX and STi class have those safety features, including blind spot, lane assist, etc.? Just wondering. Trying to see if its actually "worth" putting those systems on cars with those performance factors.

I can imagine it will be a pain to have those systems on track day, or other events. However, it can be turned off.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
They offered the spoiler on the STi with the Tsurugi. 18" is just playing catch up and eye sight, lol.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's $300 increase on the US base WRX, but the 18" alloys only come in Premium and Limited... so those will see 500-1000 increase is my guess?

Convert that to Canadian... it means if you want a WRX, you should get the '15 now(if you still can). Those new 18s don't even look that good, I rather have the 17s to use for winters and get a separate set for summer.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
The StarLink system... it might not be a simple double-DIN stereo I can easily rip out for a new deck of my own choosing. hmmmm.
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
KorruptioN wrote: The StarLink system... it might not be a simple double-DIN stereo I can easily rip out for a new deck of my own choosing. hmmmm.
That's a really good point.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djemzine wrote: I believe the rear spoiler could be the wing. The wing is currently offered on the Sport and Sport Tech models.

As for the other features, well I always thought that the Eye System won't come to the WRX and STi, mainly the fact that both cars are performance cars, and they go at fast speeds. Unless the computer is bang on in computing and triggering the safety measures. I agree with you though. The eye sight is not needed on the WRX, but again its an add on option.

Do expect higher prices though for those add-ons. However the 18" wheels + summers is a better choice. I am not a fan of the 17" wheels. A lot of car reviewers complained that it would have been nice if Subaru did give the option for the WRX to come with 18" wheels + tires vs. 17".
Eyesight is great, you can set the adaptive cruise control to tag behind that MP4-12C in front of you on the track, and it'll keep you right on it's bumper automagically.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
koffey wrote: They offered the spoiler on the STi with the Tsurugi. 18" is just playing catch up and eye sight, lol.
Ah yes. Forgot about the Tsurugi STi which was more expensive than the regular STi sport tech if I am not mistaken. Ya those 18" wheels are okay looking. I prefer the ones on the 2015 STi.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Eyesight is great, you can set the adaptive cruise control to tag behind that MP4-12C in front of you on the track, and it'll keep you right on it's bumper automagically.
Heh. I don't know how well Eye sight's adaptive cruise control will be when it comes to cornering ;) :razz:
Blanka
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13025 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: That's a really good point.
The StarLink system in the Legacys and Outbacks I've reviewed were not a simple double-DIN unit. This doesn't bode well for the WRX and STi.
djemzine wrote: Ah yes. Forgot about the Tsurugi STi which was more expensive than the regular STi sport tech if I am not mistaken. Ya those 18" wheels are okay looking. I prefer the ones on the 2015 STi.
I reviewed an 2014 STi Tsurugi Edition right before they went to the new-for-2015 generation: http://doubleclutch.ca/9412/2013-subaru ... i-edition/

The 18" wheels the Tsurugi got are heavier, and the leather seating isn't as ideal for track use (more slippery). It's kind of a strange option package, unique for Canada.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djemzine wrote: Heh. I don't know how well Eye sight's adaptive cruise control will be when it comes to cornering ;) :razz:
By the way, the EyeSight is only available as an option for WRX Limited CVT!! So that pretty much rules out track-use ;)

"New Safety Tech

The 2016 WRX joins other Subaru models in offering the company's EyeSight system, one of the highest-rated front crash prevention systems by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS). EyeSight, which is integrated with Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking and Lane Departure warning, uses Subaru-developed stereo camera technology. Newly added to the 2016 WRX EyeSight system is Lane Keep Assist, which uses the vehicle's electric power steering system to help the driver keep the vehicle within its lane when driving on the highway.

EyeSight is available for the WRX Limited (with Sport Lineartronic transmission) in a package that also includes Navigation and Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. This comprehensive technology upgrade package also includes a harman/kardon® amplifier and 9-speaker premium sound system plus Keyless Access and Push-Button Start with Pin Code Access.

Models equipped with EyeSight also come with Steering Responsive Fog lights. This feature (which works when the fog lights are turned off) activates the left or right fog light independently, depending on the vehicle speed and steering angle, to provide enhanced illumination in the direction of the turn. The fog lights are pre-aimed for maximum coverage in corners."

Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Here is the full US price list as well(so actually, while the new 18" only comes on WRX Premium and Limited, the increases are similar across the board for WRX):

WRX Premium 28,895(+400)
WRX Limited 30,395(+300)

STi 34,695 (+200)

Now we just have to wait for Canadian pricing.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: By the way, the EyeSight is only available as an option for WRX Limited CVT!! So that pretty much rules out track-use ;)

"New Safety Tech

The 2016 WRX joins other Subaru models in offering the company's EyeSight system, one of the highest-rated front crash prevention systems by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS). EyeSight, which is integrated with Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision Braking and Lane Departure warning, uses Subaru-developed stereo camera technology. Newly added to the 2016 WRX EyeSight system is Lane Keep Assist, which uses the vehicle's electric power steering system to help the driver keep the vehicle within its lane when driving on the highway.

EyeSight is available for the WRX Limited (with Sport Lineartronic transmission) in a package that also includes Navigation and Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. This comprehensive technology upgrade package also includes a harman/kardon® amplifier and 9-speaker premium sound system plus Keyless Access and Push-Button Start with Pin Code Access.

Models equipped with EyeSight also come with Steering Responsive Fog lights. This feature (which works when the fog lights are turned off) activates the left or right fog light independently, depending on the vehicle speed and steering angle, to provide enhanced illumination in the direction of the turn. The fog lights are pre-aimed for maximum coverage in corners."

Ah. Makes sense to have it on the CVT model. So I assume it'll be on the Sport Tech as an option here in Canada. The steering responsive fog lights are a cool feature. I know the 2015 Impreza comes with this feature, and one day I did test it out on a foggy day and it worked pretty well.

I guess its their "way" of not having adaptive headlights.
er34er34 wrote: Here is the full US price list as well(so actually, while the new 18" only comes on WRX Premium and Limited, the increases are similar across the board for WRX):

WRX Premium 28,895(+400)
WRX Limited 30,395(+300)

STi 34,695 (+200)

Now we just have to wait for Canadian pricing.
Thanks. Will update this to the first post. I'll be getting Canadian pricing soon. Rather once my contact at SoC lets me know.
Blanka
Jun 14, 2011
688 posts
2096 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Thanks. Will update this to the first post. I'll be getting Canadian pricing soon. Rather once my contact at SoC lets me know.
Couldn't wait for Canadian pricing...
😝
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Damn I really want a WRX now. The Eye Sight is a good safety feature for sure. It's a shame it is limited to the top trim.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: Damn I really want a WRX now. The Eye Sight is a good safety feature for sure. It's a shame it is limited to the top trim.
This is big news. For me having the new infotainment system makes this car very attractive again. The old unit was pure garbage. The wheels aren't that great but at least they will fill in the wheel wells better than the comical 17 inchers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)