• Apr 20th, 2017 8:26 pm
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
869 posts
250 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC

2016 Tax Season Megathread

Hello,

We had a thread like this last year that seems to have help people.
Since SimpleTax and StudioTax let you start your 2016 tax return (not yet NETFILE certified) I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread.
As usual, use two different software to check you have done your return correctly.

Here are some useful links:
  1. Canada Revenu Agency website
  2. Revenu Québec website
  3. Summary of changes for Canada
  4. Summary of changes for Québec
  5. Link to the list of certified software (Canada)
  6. Link to the list of certified software (Québec)
  7. File your return using SimpleTax (free to file, but you can donate - online through a web browser)
  8. File your return using StudioTax (free to file, but you can donate - offline through a downloaded software)

For people who file their return manually:
Canada - Usually available at Canada Post locations
Québec - Usually available at Desjardins locations

I will try to update this post with common questions and/or provide more useful links.
365 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1038 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For people who file their return manually:
Canada - Usually available at Canada Post locations
Québec - Usually available at Desjardins locations
PDFs can be printed off the CRA website, and presumably Revenue Quebec. Not everyone has Internet access, but anyone reading this thread does.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
my tax return and along with my parents were done and filed yesterday (20th). Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1331 posts
312 upvotes
As someone who used TurboTax for the last 10 years...is it worth it to switch to SimpleTax?

I have a pretty basic tax return
- Me and Wife have T4's
- RRSPs
- Daycare Deductions
- T5 and so on
- Charitable donations

Nothing else really!

The reason I think SimpleTax might be good is that I use only MACS and 8 returns online is $37 at Costco.

I tried looking on their website but don't see anything about NetFiling? How do you submit your taxes through SimpleTax??
Feb 3, 2013
106 posts
37 upvotes
GREENWOOD
kanewtz wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:53 am
As someone who used TurboTax for the last 10 years...is it worth it to switch to SimpleTax?

- Me and Wife have T4's
- RRSPs
- Daycare Deductions
- T5 and so on
- Charitable donations

Nothing else really!

The reason I think SimpleTax might be good is that I use only MACS and 8 returns online is $37 at Costco.

I tried looking on their website but don't see anything about NetFiling? How do you submit your taxes through SimpleTax??
I use studio tax but simple tax is fine. Some might say prettier, I just prefer downloaded software to online.

Also a macOS user.

Both offer net file and if you follow the income tax guide it's easy and you should get everything you are entitled to.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1038 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
booblehead wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:19 am
my tax return and along with my parents were done and filed yesterday (20th). Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Many tax slips aren't available yet. It may have worked for you, but doing your taxes on the first day is often a bad idea.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
I checked off all my required slips in order to file, nothing complicated at all. All received.

My parents are seniors and they got all their slips as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3316 posts
607 upvotes
on the links
booblehead wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:17 am
My parents are seniors and they got all their slips as well.
It's not one's age that determines getting slips, it's the types of investments. I'm a senior and I'll need to wait until probably end of March.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Sauerkraut wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:42 am
It's not one's age that determines getting slips, it's the types of investments. I'm a senior and I'll need to wait until probably end of March.
they bank with TD. only T5 slips. All GICs.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1331 posts
312 upvotes
sixcolors wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 10:08 am
I use studio tax but simple tax is fine. Some might say prettier, I just prefer downloaded software to online.

Also a macOS user.

Both offer net file and if you follow the income tax guide it's easy and you should get everything you are entitled to.
Thanks...I will try out StudioTax for macOS.
[OP]
Jul 22, 2015
869 posts
250 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
When you complete the form T1213 (Request to Reduce Tax Deductions at Source), do you actually need to send to request to one of the address shown on page 2 or will the payroll people do it for you?
Jul 20, 2016
306 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
I've moved to Canada last year, and it seems I can't use NETFILE as CRA don't have my data yet.

Is the "manual" method the only one available? I understand I'll have to physically mail them, but can I use one of those Apps/sites, print it up and send?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4065 posts
562 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
kanewtz wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 9:53 am

- Me and Wife have T4's
- RRSPs
- Daycare Deductions
- T5 and so on
- Charitable donations

Nothing else really!

Were your donations cash or materials? I had material donations but the agency never gave me a receipt for perceived value
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel