Careers

2016 University Graduate Employment prospects.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2016 10:58 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca

2016 University Graduate Employment prospects.

Wonder to see how many people managed to secure jobs relevant to their degree or required them to have that degree for the job. It's only late March, but typically if you haven't secured employment by now, you're not in a good spot.
Answer what you feel comfortable with:

Did you land a job?
What is the job/is it relevant to your degree?
Salary?
What is your degree?
What school did you attend?
Would you recommend your major and/or university?

I presume this year will likely be the worst, as people I know graduating this year in Engineering cannot not even get a single interview. The graduating Engineering class from my program where I attended university, will likely have less than 3 people out of 45 find relevant careers.
92 replies
Mar 5, 2009
369 posts
124 upvotes
This is based on my friend who is graduating this year:

- landed two jobs
- job #1 is consultant. Job #2 is cellphone radio tester
- salary for job #1 is 72k CAD. Salary for job #2 is 105k USD
- engineering
- Waterloo
- yes
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
serious7 wrote: This is based on my friend who is graduating this year:

- landed two jobs
- engineering
- Waterloo
- yes
lol
Mar 5, 2009
369 posts
124 upvotes
LUMilkman wrote: lol
He graduating from electrical and computer engineering with prior co-op if that helps.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
serious7 wrote: He graduating from electrical and computer engineering with prior co-op if that helps.
Hes making nearly 200k with less than 2 year experience? Very impressive if actually true.
Mar 5, 2009
369 posts
124 upvotes
LUMilkman wrote: Hes making nearly 200k with less than 2 year experience? Very impressive if actually true.
I didn't say 200k.

I specifically mentioned USD for job #2 which should mean the offer is in the states.

Software/tech industry does not have enough workers so that is the main reason for the high wages.

I graduated from the same program two years ago and I also had similar offers.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
serious7 wrote: I didn't say 200k.

I specifically mentioned USD for job #2 which should mean the offer is in the states.

Software/tech industry does not have enough workers so that is the main reason for the high wages.

I graduated from the same program two years ago and I also had similar offers.
I thought you meant he was working 2 different jobs. My apologies. Still very impressive to be making nearly 140k CDN with less than 2 years experience, good for him.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
serious7 wrote: This is based on my friend who is graduating this year:

- landed two jobs
- engineering
- Waterloo
- yes
what kind of engineering? 105K with Coop? I know ppl who are P.Eng, cant even make 70K. :facepalm:
Mar 5, 2009
369 posts
124 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: what kind of engineering? 105K with Coop? I know ppl who are P.Eng, cant even make 70K. :facepalm:
People with P.Eng that I know are mostly earning 80k+. I know one recent P.Eng who is earning 62k but he should go up higher soon enough.

The 105k is salary in US. it's not comparable to Canadian employment market.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
What serious7 highlighted, is the vast discrepancy in pay between Canada and the US. Which in the software/computer industry is even more pronounced. I'm not surprised by the doubling of salary (70k-140k).
Oct 27, 2014
560 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto, ON
100k starting salary is pretty low in tech companies like facebook, google, and apple in California. Some of my university friends got around 120k USD to 140k USD in google mountain view. Still cant afford housing there though lol.
Engineers in canada typically get lowballed.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
LUMilkman wrote: What serious7 highlighted, is the vast discrepancy in pay between Canada and the US. Which in the software/computer industry is even more pronounced. I'm not surprised by the doubling of salary (70k-140k).
Cost of living is significantly higher in the Bay area.
Feb 10, 2015
608 posts
228 upvotes
ironbrah wrote: what kind of engineering? 105K with Coop? I know ppl who are P.Eng, cant even make 70K. :facepalm:
I'm a third year EIT and hit $141k last year. It all depends on location and industry.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
165 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Isn't graduation for 2016 after may?

But fwiw a few siblings of friends graduated in the fall of 2015 and all are currently employed

One's an engineering grad (civil) working at exp, two others are finance/accounting grads..ones at pwc and other at Rogers

Sorry don't know salary but eng grad is around 60k range
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
165 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LUMilkman wrote: Wonder to see how many people managed to secure jobs relevant to their degree or required them to have that degree for the job. It's only late March, but typically if you haven't secured employment by now, you're not in a good spot.
Answer what you feel comfortable with:

Did you land a job?
What is the job/is it relevant to your degree?
Salary?
What is your degree?
What school did you attend?
Would you recommend your major and/or university?

I presume this year will likely be the worst, as people I know graduating this year in Engineering cannot not even get a single interview. The graduating Engineering class from my program where I attended university, will likely have less than 3 people out of 45 find relevant careers.
Where did you go for university?

Seems the Waterloo and UT eng grads are doing OK..but then I only know people doing eng at those schools..not sure about other schools
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
DanTh3Man wrote: I'm a third year EIT and hit $141k last year. It all depends on location and industry.
What industry and location?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
DanTh3Man wrote: Oil and gas, northern (zone B) western province.
Oil & gas is pretty wide. upstream, downstream, EPC?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)