• Dec 10th, 2017 7:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto

2016 vs 2015 Acura TLX

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a new used car. I have zeroed on Acura TLX. I was comparing the 2016 TLX SH-AWD (Tech / Elite) to 2015 TLX SH-AWD (Tech / Elite)..basically same trim for 2016 and 2015.
The price difference in substantial - on some models, the price difference is close to $5K.

I need some guidance here on the purchase timings.
Since its December - it is evident that dealers might offer good incentive (they certainly do on the newer models). So should I buy in Dec or should i wait till January 2018 - which will essentially mean that 2016 models will be technically 2 years old - and hence lower cost.

Any one has past experience in this or knows more about it - please let me know.

Thanks,
K
22 replies
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
Thanks. I am leaning towards 2016 as well.
My biggest confusion is the timing of purchase?
Should I get 2016 now in Dec as most of the dealers will be looking to meet their yearly quota and make space for new cars or should I wait till Jan 2018 becuase 2016s will technically be 2 years old..
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
Bump !

Another question - 2016 TLX vs 2016 Q50.
The pricing of both the cars is almost equal. Any suggestions on it?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11261 posts
1500 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Skip the TLX with the ZF 9HP. You will not enjoy the highway vibrations and slow shifting ZF 9HP. If you get the TLX, you should only consider the FWD with 8 speed DCT.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
That leaves all SH-AWD models. Are you saying that I shouldnt get AWD but a FWD (2016 TLX Tech)?
I thought AWD was the way to go - especially with the Canadian winters.

What's your thought on Infinity Q50?
Apr 7, 2013
151 posts
29 upvotes
The 9 ZF is fine after you drive it for a while. I hated it at first but after driving it for almost 2 years, it actually seems pretty good now (we have a 2016 MDX).

I would rate Q50 and TLX equally - they both have some quirks with their transmissions, and heck, almost the same price for what you get.
Plus, they both would be cheaper and more reliable than their German counterparts.

It would come down to test driving both and determining which one you like better.
May 17, 2017
158 posts
105 upvotes
Waterloo
AVOID the SH-AWD V6 model.
Acura is having widespread issues with vibration on the highway going 110-120+, even on the latest 2018 models.
There is NO resolution for this yet - it has to do with poor rear subframe design.
They've tried a new tire spec, new engine mounts, etc.

My suggestion: buy the new 2018 Accord. With the TLX, you are missing out on far better infotainment, reliable powertrains (none of that poorly tuned 8DCT or 9ZF in the TLX), and arguable better designed interior.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
I just Googled Accura 2016 highway vibration and I was amazed at how many counts of problem are there - going back from 2015 to their new 2018. I will talk to the dealer about it.

I drove a Q50 but its a smaller sedan (comparable to Accura ILX) . so will skip that.

I will go check out Accord today. Any specific trim in 2016 which I should be looking out for?
May 17, 2017
158 posts
105 upvotes
Waterloo
krishnasty wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:46 am
I just Googled Accura 2016 highway vibration and I was amazed at how many counts of problem are there - going back from 2015 to their new 2018. I will talk to the dealer about it.

I drove a Q50 but its a smaller sedan (comparable to Accura ILX) . so will skip that.

I will go check out Accord today. Any specific trim in 2016 which I should be looking out for?
If you're comparing to the TLX, you'd want to look at the V6 Touring trim.
Quite the attractive car with the Touring rims.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
Thanks. But I am not looking for a brand new car. is 2016 Honda Accord good or has there been some problems with it as well?
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
13 posts
Toronto
Update :
So I took the 2016 SH-AWD Spec tech Acura to a highway. And I have never seen such a bad gear switch. It pressed the throttle, and it took a good 2-3 sec for car to realize that and speed up.
It was truly a bad experience. I spoke to the dealer about it and he justifies it on the savings on the gas.
He did mention that the V4 is not that bad.

I am now back to drawing board. I will test drive V4 tomorrow along with 2016 Accord tomorrow.
Any other suggestions that I can look at?

Thanks guys.
Apr 22, 2008
356 posts
30 upvotes
So I took the 2016 SH-AWD Spec tech Acura to a highway. And I have never seen such a bad gear switch. It pressed the throttle, and it took a good 2-3 sec for car to realize that and speed up.
I'm driving 2015 SH-AWD V6 Base. Bought it almost new. Came from 2008 Altima 3.5. Can consider myself a "spirited" and what can I tell you after 2 yrs. driving it - Honda screwed it's own "luxury" brand big time. Whatever can be done wrong they did. Transmission, engine, shift points suck. It is slow as well. The IDS in Sport+ is totally useless in DtD driving - insane downshifts. The only thing I like is how AWD works, reversing side mirror and maybe a few others minor thins. That was my first and most likely last Acura.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2766 posts
235 upvotes
Did op try to test drive the 2018 TLX to see if the transmission has improved?