2017 Dodge Caravan Models

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2018 1:24 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2017
200 posts
889 upvotes

2017 Dodge Caravan Models

I heard from my family member that 2017 Dodge Caravans are on HEAVY $12k discount.
Is it a good time to buy a caravan right now or should I wait?

What is the best deal right now for a 7-seater Van/SUV?

I just realized that I put this on the Hot Deal section.
Mod, please move this thread to the Automotive section.
Thank you.
Last edited by GroundBus on Apr 24th, 2018 8:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
68 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4032 posts
1125 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
They are normally discounted 10k-12k so should be more then that for older 2017 models.

Also, are these being made going fwd or Pacifica replacing?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2232 posts
910 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:51 am
They are normally discounted 10k-12k so should be more then that for older 2017 models.

+1

No 2018 model shown on dodge.ca so 2017 must have been last model year. Edit - looks like the caravan is going on hiatus but is expected to return at some point once it is brought back to compliance with some new regulation.
Last edited by RubberCheese on Apr 24th, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9354 posts
2019 upvotes
Be careful with these - longer term durability is only so-so.

We test drove one 2 years ago. They were $12,000 off then also. The permanent "discounts" at Chrysler are a bit ridiculous.
Jun 26, 2007
619 posts
354 upvotes
I know a number of people who have these, major components have a habit of failing early at great expense. I'd recommend basically any other minivan, or maybe a Hyundai Santa Fe Xl (which can be had at quite deep discount if you can find one that's been sitting on the lot for a while) There is a reason these are so cheap to buy.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3646 posts
2446 upvotes
Markham
Buy a used Toyota or Honda Van. You will be way ahead in long run in both reliability and resale value.
Last edited by X24Secret on Apr 24th, 2018 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
4489 posts
4646 upvotes
kool1 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:57 am
Be careful with these - longer term durability is only so-so.

We test drove one 2 years ago. They were $12,000 off then also. The permanent "discounts" at Chrysler are a bit ridiculous.
Please take heed of the reliability issue with this vehicle. If you're willing to put up with the headache of shuttling family members along while attending to more frequent vehicle issues, then go for this vehicle. Otherwise, this vehicle is a hard pass.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1429 posts
598 upvotes
Quebec
1 - How much less are you going to pay for your Caravan compared with, say, a Sienna or an Odyssey?
2 - How much more money are you likely to spend on your Caravan for repairs that you would not likely have to make on a Sienna or an Odyssey?

I think that stricly from a financial point of view, you are better off with a Caravan. However, this is indeed a cheap car with old technology.

I bought a new 2013 Caravan in 2014, and in retrospect, I regret my purchase. I haven't had any major issues with it, but it's already starting to show signs of rust (hood, driver's side door). My advice is to stick with the basic model, or buy one used (you should buy your Sienna or Odyssey on the used market too anyway).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9354 posts
2019 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 9:09 am
Please take heed of the reliability issue with this vehicle. If you're willing to put up with the headache of shuttling family members along while attending to more frequent vehicle issues, then go for this vehicle. Otherwise, this vehicle is a hard pass.
I just essentially said that?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1218 posts
366 upvotes
London
Balzard wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 9:15 am
1 - How much less are you going to pay for your Caravan compared with, say, a Sienna or an Odyssey?
2 - How much more money are you likely to spend on your Caravan for repairs that you would not likely have to make on a Sienna or an Odyssey?

I think that stricly from a financial point of view, you are better off with a Caravan. However, this is indeed a cheap car with old technology.

I bought a new 2013 Caravan in 2014, and in retrospect, I regret my purchase. I haven't had any major issues with it, but it's already starting to show signs of rust (hood, driver's side door). My advice is to stick with the basic model, or buy one used (you should buy your Sienna or Odyssey on the used market too anyway).
There is a recall on the hood for rust. We just had our 2013 hood replaced no charge. We have 80k on ours. Have done the brakes, front strut (broke a month ago going over no frills speed hump), door accuator, gas tank neck. It tows our popup camper great though, which is the main reason we bought it. We don’t want a truck. Paid $22,750 for the sxt with 2nd row lowerable windows and tow package. It is what we expected. Easiest vehicle purchase we have ever made.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2017
200 posts
889 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:51 am

so $12k discount is normal?
That's the exact number I heard from my family member.
Aug 27, 2009
661 posts
374 upvotes
Since we're talking about a cheap van. How does this compare to the KIA sedona?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1933 posts
2099 upvotes
Langley, BC
great van if you want to spend money on garbage that will last a few years, then be worth $5

also, wrong forum.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4032 posts
1125 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
GroundBus wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 9:43 am
so $12k discount is normal?
That's the exact number I heard from my family member.
I would expect that number LAST year... now should be more or also offer 0% financing in addition.

There are no great minivans in terms of quality... the Odyssey 2 gens ago was last of the great.

The Sienna and Odyssey are still good and better then Caravan... Sedona somewhere in between.

Are you looking at base or higher trim? If higher trim then suggest Sienna or Odyssey... base to perhaps one level higher can be bought for under $40k incl taxes. If looking at base Caravan [so like 20k or less] then you'll get a good sized van but put away money saved for repairs.

Do you really need van? Look at Sorento or Sante Fe XL as well.