• Jul 18th, 2017 2:50 pm
42 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9339 posts
3519 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Cost of ownership going up, I'm reconsidering getting one at all now. It's already very limiting.

For anything over 250g, that's tiny.

DJI Mavic 734g

GoPro Karma 1006g
Jan 9, 2011
672 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Regulations don't seem to be stopping anybody now. Most of BC's Lower Mainland is off-limits due to the no-fly-zone within 10km from an airport. Nobody seems to care.
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9354 posts
643 upvotes
Toronto
I don't want to see massive roadblocks, but am in favor of it being more regulated. Stupid flyers are ruining it for others, causing media hype and possibility of overblown restrictions in the future. Would love a system that simply punishes those that violate without affecting other safe flyers.

I like to respect the regulations, including mainly not flying near airports but also not flying in provincial/national parks - but OH MY DO I WANT TO! When I see others' shots or videos from these locations, I get super jealous... especially because they aren't supposed to have those shots either!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3369 posts
235 upvotes
I already gave my input elsewhere
this is absolutely fueled by media fearmongering
cyclists accidents causing serious injuries and death is significantly higher than multirotor accidents yet there's no consideration for knowledge test, registration, and insurance for bicycles.
i'm OK with registering, even knowledge test which I think is a government cash grab, but i'm not OK with liability insurance because even FAA doesn't require it. It'll wipe out a huge majority of the hobbyists because it's prohibitively expensive

whatever they decide to do, I just hope they do their research. Consult stakeholders, look at statistics. Not a knee-jerk reaction from media portraying drone will fall out of sky or spy on you.
Kiraly wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 10:24 am
Regulations don't seem to be stopping anybody now. Most of BC's Lower Mainland is off-limits due to the no-fly-zone within 10km from an airport. Nobody seems to care.
I want to say most are not stupid to jeopardize safety of manned aircrafts.
but as always, there will be the bad apples that ruins everything for the responsible majority. Why we can't have nice things.

funny you mention this, so many times I've flown mine in the sea to sky corridor, no flight restrictions in most of it, yet I see helicopters and prop planes flying maybe 200-300ft AGL. Next time I see one, I'm reporting it. You know why? If they hypotehtically crash into someone's drone breaking those strict regulations, the drone will automatically be at fault vs a pilot with hundreds of hours of experience. It's going to be skewed like that.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24469 posts
5265 upvotes
GTHA
There are now new rules for recreational drone use in Canada
http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/16/drone ... ional-use/
The new Canadian drone regulations are as follows:

- Drones can’t be flown higher than 90 metres
- Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people
- At night
- Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land
- Without contact information marked on the drone itself
- Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace

Many of these new rules existed as guidelines prior to this announcement. Now, however, they’re enforceable by law and have a strict penalty attached to them when violated.
Last edited by tk1000 on Mar 16th, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 6, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
Thank you so much for these information. I own a phantom 4. but the new rule said that not higher than 90 metres, I think it may too low for the drone to catch the view.
Jun 23, 2009
109 posts
39 upvotes
Hamilton
Marc Garneau has no idea what he is doing. Basically just made the entire hobby "illegal" nothing but a money grab for police to nab someone and now have something to lay charges. This does nothing more to protect people. Canada every year takes 1 more step in becoming a fully nanny state. I cant wait for them to ban kites from children too now. Who puts these people in power?
Mar 8, 2004
670 posts
71 upvotes
Brampton
AncasterRFD wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 9:55 am
Cost of ownership going up, I'm reconsidering getting one at all now. It's already very limiting.

For anything over 250g, that's tiny.

DJI Mavic 734g

GoPro Karma 1006g

I have a Zerotech Dobby, 200g w/battery. Seems to be the only non-toy grade drone that still is under the new restrictions (250g and up)

BTW, they expanded the no-fly zones to include Aerodromes and Helipads. Essentially the entire GTA is a no-fly zone now. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... zones.html

This link shows where we can safely fly now.
UAV Site Selection Tool

I'm a bit "lucky" as i live in Spring Valley, Brampton. It's one of the new okay areas, for now
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3468 posts
955 upvotes
Toronto
So basically, if my kid's drone weighs less than 250 g (and it does), then do any of those regulations apply to him? He could now fly it in the parks in the city?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9339 posts
3519 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TheDoctah wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:46 am
I have a Zerotech Dobby, 200g w/battery. Seems to be the only non-toy grade drone that still is under the new restrictions (250g and up)

BTW, they expanded the no-fly zones to include Aerodromes and Helipads. Essentially the entire GTA is a no-fly zone now. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... zones.html

This link shows where we can safely fly now.
UAV Site Selection Tool

I'm a bit "lucky" as i live in Spring Valley, Brampton. It's one of the new okay areas, for now
Thanks! That's an oldish post though how I felt last Oct, I'm getting a Mavic. I live near a green zone and many places I frequent.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1764 posts
404 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Looks like Scarborough, Vaughan and King City are drone approved according to the gov't website. Parts of Port Credit in Mississauga too.
Jun 16, 2007
343 posts
20 upvotes
King
Thanks for those links. The thing that kind of bugs me is that near my area, there is a farmer registered as a private field and I have never seen a plane in the vicinity. So there goes 9km (Or 254 SQ Km! just to show the impact!)
They need to amend these rules. It's ridiculous. Feds should be ashamed. I can't even hover on my driveway. WTF
May 30, 2013
113 posts
36 upvotes
Markham
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:12 pm
Looks like Scarborough, Vaughan and King City are drone approved according to the gov't website. Parts of Port Credit in Mississauga too.
It may not, because 9km no fly zone includes heliport too. Don't forget most hospitals and some buildings have heliports too.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
1873 posts
151 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Basically all of Burlington is a no-fly zone so there goes my usage. These changes are over the top and far too restrictive.