• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 11:25 am
Mar 8, 2004
664 posts
66 upvotes
Brampton
wirebound wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:18 am
So basically, if my kid's drone weighs less than 250 g (and it does), then do any of those regulations apply to him? He could now fly it in the parks in the city?
It seems like the answer is yes, he can fly in the park. However, my gut feeling is local police forces will have a field day handing out tickets first even if it is under the limit.

I won't be surprised if a lot of people end up in court over this. It's not like people walk around with kitchen scales. Maybe we should? Lol Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca ... _users.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5617 posts
1659 upvotes
Toronto
ridiculous non-sense.

basically, fly it illegal and don't put your name on it.

chance of getting caught very low.. just dont stand out in the open. launch your mavic pro, get in your car and fly it from there.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3302 posts
225 upvotes
i'll leave my email on there...no way am i putting my phone number, full name and address though. They should've just done it like the FAA in the US, a regitration number.

you can tell these rules are made by knee-jerk reaction without much consultation or research.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jun 22, 2009
67 posts
5 upvotes
TheDoctah wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:23 pm
It seems like the answer is yes, he can fly in the park. However, my gut feeling is local police forces will have a field day handing out tickets first even if it is under the limit.

I won't be surprised if a lot of people end up in court over this. It's not like people walk around with kitchen scales. Maybe we should? Lol Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca ... _users.pdf
You're probably right, unless you have a printed copy of the rules and a kitchen scale with you it's going to be hard to talk yourself out of a situation :(

Planning a trip through national parks and was thinking of getting the Dobby, but I'm not sure anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1523 posts
257 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The Parrot Bebop got me hooked, what's the industry standard for drones now? Still the Phantom? Price is less of an issue. UHQ video is first and foremost, flying technology second, and other things after that.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2559 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
kitguyy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 12:05 pm
was thinking of getting the Dobby
under 250g, should be ok no?
lol, was thinking of getting one as well
Nada atm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
1598 posts
242 upvotes
EDMONTON
there's no point. they killed the "recreation" in recreational drone usage

its' like $1300-$3000 for a "Special Flight Operations Certificate" application..... and i think that is just the application. No guarantee you will get the certificate
RFD Etiquette:
- If you are going to shoot down a deal by referencing an expired sale or past deals, please provide us with a working time machine!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3302 posts
225 upvotes
most if not all National Parks will have a ban in effect regardless of weight
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 6, 2015
422 posts
211 upvotes
About time they did something about these unlicensed aircraft operating in spaces that are ordinarily reserved for licensed aircraft. Good thing it didn't take a major catastrophe, like a civil airliner going down, to actually put these changes into place.
Jun 14, 2017
41 posts
14 upvotes
Damn, I was really going to pull the trigger on grabbing a DJI but all these new laws/regulations and licensing is making this impossible. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3302 posts
225 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 3:47 am
About time they did something about these unlicensed aircraft operating in spaces that are ordinarily reserved for licensed aircraft. Good thing it didn't take a major catastrophe, like a civil airliner going down, to actually put these changes into place.
good point...they should limit kites and helium air balloons too

/s
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5617 posts
1659 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote:
u have no clue what you're talking about.

geese flying into aircraft is a much larger problem than a 300 gram drone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7370 posts
1530 upvotes
Richmond Hill
burnt69 wrote:
Thanks for the L O L

This is the exact reason why drones, damn I really hate that word. Mulitcopters are getting a bad rep due to people like you with such closed minds.
Oct 6, 2015
422 posts
211 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:32 pm
Thanks for the L O L

This is the exact reason why drones, damn I really hate that word. Mulitcopters are getting a bad rep due to people like you with such closed minds.
"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye." (or at least in my community, the single engine training jets that fly over at low altitudes routinely ingest one into their engine).