2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 7:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2016
41 posts
115 upvotes

2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

I've been on the sidelines of buying an EV or Hybrid for some time. Recently I decided it was time to commit and entered the market - Unhaggle report in hand - for a 2017 Focus Electric. I've contacted a dozen or so dealers for both a cash sale or a 3 year, 20,000km lease. My preference is the lease, which given technology advancement and a middle of the road 5 year powertrain warranty from Ford looks like a decent deal. Right now I have 1 dealer offering a cash purchase of $20,536 includes $500 Costco incentive, ON government rebate (assigned to the dealer) and taxes. Only licensing was quoted as extra. This is the base model price - cloth seats, no premium colours etc. It's a 3-4 month order, not a car on the lot.

While the price is (too?) cheap, the dealer isn't in my area and wants me to visit. He's quoting "technicalities" with the lease deal I'm after which can be resolved with a face-face. No other dealer had an issue quoting on a lease (if they quoted at all).

I've been clear and firm that I need a price before I visit any dealership, so given the distance, I'm out. Honestly this looks like a bait and switch deal but if you're in the GTA and want some details, I'm happy to share. Just drop me a PM. I don't think listing the dealer details on the forum is allowed is it?
Thread Summary
A breakdown of the deal I got at Yonge & Steeles Ford:

$235 monthly or $108 biweekly with $0 due at signing.
Total lease cost $8460 taxes in.
Price includes $500 Costco discount and $750 Auto Show discount.
1966 replies
Feb 15, 2004
333 posts
35 upvotes
Newmarket
I remember see somebody mentioned that he signed the 3 years lease of 2017 Focus Electric for like $2000 down, $90 bi-weekly tax in. Personally I think this is the best deal for now. The focus electric comes with some decent standard features like 17inch wheels, 9 speaker SONY audio system, heated front seat, rear-view camera etc. Then you pay $500 for few colors and $1000 for leather seat. Compare to Nissan Leaf, you probably have to go for the $42000 SL model to get all these features. The only issue is Focus has small trunk room because the battery but should be ok for daily commute vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1249 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
$20K for a Focus EV, great deal!

Does it include DC fast charging port?

Which dealer?

I've listed the dealership I got a deal from when I picked up my LEAF.
Aug 15, 2004
992 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The range is too limited for my taste, 160km meaning if you live/work in uptown and want to make trip to DT after work you're in the danger zone depends on how the Regenerative Braking System work. Leaf's range looks much better, for me I still waiting for the volt clearance I think it fit Canadian life style much better.
Feb 15, 2004
333 posts
35 upvotes
Newmarket
some1not wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:53 am
$20K for a Focus EV, great deal!

Does it include DC fast charging port?

Which dealer?

I've listed the dealership I got a deal from when I picked up my LEAF.
Yes, it has the fast charging port.
Feb 15, 2004
333 posts
35 upvotes
Newmarket
Focus wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:10 am
The range is too limited for my taste, 160km meaning if you live/work in uptown and want to make trip to DT after work you're in the danger zone depends on how the Regenerative Braking System work. Leaf's range looks much better, for me I still waiting for the volt clearance I think it fit Canadian life style much better.
Actually Focus has slightly better range than Leaf. Focus EV range is 115miles vs 107 miles on Leaf.
Aug 15, 2004
992 posts
47 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hoc022 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:17 am
Actually Focus has slightly better range than Leaf. Focus EV range is 115miles vs 107 miles on Leaf.
I meant 2017 leaf.
Nov 16, 2008
278 posts
139 upvotes
hoc022 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:17 am
Just to save everyone the search: 115 miles = 185 kms

To put it into perspective, from Toronto, ON (downtown core), you can go to Collingwood, ON or Niagara, ON in one full charge, but will probably have to full charge again in order to get back.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1001 posts
328 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
20k OTR seems like a good deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
1677 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
hamachi wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:29 am
Just to save everyone the search: 115 miles = 185 kms

To put it into perspective, from Toronto, ON (downtown core), you can go to Collingwood, ON or Niagara, ON in one full charge, but will probably have to full charge again in order to get back.
Wouldn't be too bad with a fast charger (charge while you eat or something) but with the regular charger it might take too long
Links removed for self promotion
15" Retina Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz Core i7, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000
iPhone 4S - PSPGo - PSVita - 3DS - Wii - PS3 - 360
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3993 posts
1839 upvotes
Kitchener
This MAY be the best deal on an EV currently. Sacrifice QUITE a bit of trunk space going from a Leaf to a Focus though. I'm pretty sure that the Leaf trunk is more than double the size of the Focus EV's trunk. Other than that, price on the Focus is better and range is ALSO better (at LEAST 200km real world with a 33kWh battery - EPA estimates of 185km can be used for winter range). If I wasn't currently leasing my Leaf (with a day 1 Model 3 on order), I'd be very seriously considering a Focus EV.

To put it in perspective, in the BEST case scenario, I can eek out 200km in my Leaf with a 24kWh battery........a 33kWh battery in the Focus should be able to do 200km on most days without any issues and 260km+ in ideal situations..
Mar 2, 2016
65 posts
25 upvotes
Focus wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:10 am
Agree about the Volt being more suitable, but I can't see myself driving the Leaf... Its design is so repulsive. The new Nissan pickup's is as well.
Regarding the range, Richmond Hill to Union Station is ~35km if you take the long way. x2 (assuming not charging while at work) makes it ~70km, which gives you an extra over 100% leeway. How does that put you in the danger zone?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1022 posts
142 upvotes
The price seems about $1000 cheaper than I would expect, but I will send the same dealer an email and see what they tell me, I also know one that swears they will match anything, assuming not the same one, so I will report back!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1022 posts
142 upvotes
JamesPlomppy wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:58 am
Agree about the Volt being more suitable, but I can't see myself driving the Leaf... Its design is so repulsive. The new Nissan pickup's is as well.
Regarding the range, Richmond Hill to Union Station is ~35km if you take the long way. x2 (assuming not charging while at work) makes it ~70km, which gives you an extra over 100% leeway. How does that put you in the danger zone?
The Volt is at least 10k more, if not 15

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

firetech123