Automotive

The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Apr 9, 2016
118 posts
123 upvotes

The Ford Focus Electric Thread

I've been on the sidelines of buying an EV or Hybrid for some time. Recently I decided it was time to commit and entered the market - Unhaggle report in hand - for a 2017 Focus Electric. I've contacted a dozen or so dealers for both a cash sale or a 3 year, 20,000km lease. My preference is the lease, which given technology advancement and a middle of the road 5 year powertrain warranty from Ford looks like a decent deal. Right now I have 1 dealer offering a cash purchase of $20,536 includes $500 Costco incentive, ON government rebate (assigned to the dealer) and taxes. Only licensing was quoted as extra. This is the base model price - cloth seats, no premium colours etc. It's a 3-4 month order, not a car on the lot.

While the price is (too?) cheap, the dealer isn't in my area and wants me to visit. He's quoting "technicalities" with the lease deal I'm after which can be resolved with a face-face. No other dealer had an issue quoting on a lease (if they quoted at all).

I've been clear and firm that I need a price before I visit any dealership, so given the distance, I'm out. Honestly this looks like a bait and switch deal but if you're in the GTA and want some details, I'm happy to share. Just drop me a PM. I don't think listing the dealer details on the forum is allowed is it?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 30th, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title name change
Thread Summary
Warranty:
• Basic Coverage: 3 years/60,000 km
• Powertrain Limited Warranty: 5 years/100,000 km
• Corrosion Perforation Warranty: 5 years/unlimited distance
• Roadside Assistance: 5 years/100,000 km

Electric Unique Component Coverage
8 years or 160,000 km: High-voltage battery packs, high-voltage charger, DC/DC converter, Electric Drive Module Assembly (includes electric motor and gear box), trans range and charge cord.

A breakdown of the deal I got at Yonge & Steeles Ford:

$235 monthly or $108 biweekly with $0 due at signing.
Total lease cost $8460 taxes in.
Price includes $500 Costco discount and $750 Auto Show discount.

Car cannot be ordered anymore, allocation for 2017 is done and looks like 2018 is only allocated to Quebec dealers, that also is limited.
6174 replies
Feb 15, 2004
621 posts
157 upvotes
Newmarket
I remember see somebody mentioned that he signed the 3 years lease of 2017 Focus Electric for like $2000 down, $90 bi-weekly tax in. Personally I think this is the best deal for now. The focus electric comes with some decent standard features like 17inch wheels, 9 speaker SONY audio system, heated front seat, rear-view camera etc. Then you pay $500 for few colors and $1000 for leather seat. Compare to Nissan Leaf, you probably have to go for the $42000 SL model to get all these features. The only issue is Focus has small trunk room because the battery but should be ok for daily commute vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3712 posts
3793 upvotes
Toronto
$20K for a Focus EV, great deal!

Does it include DC fast charging port?

Which dealer?

I've listed the dealership I got a deal from when I picked up my LEAF.
Peeons with power trips. LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1774 posts
739 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The range is too limited for my taste, 160km meaning if you live/work in uptown and want to make trip to DT after work you're in the danger zone depends on how the Regenerative Braking System work. Leaf's range looks much better, for me I still waiting for the volt clearance I think it fit Canadian life style much better.
Feb 15, 2004
621 posts
157 upvotes
Newmarket
some1not wrote: $20K for a Focus EV, great deal!

Does it include DC fast charging port?

Which dealer?

I've listed the dealership I got a deal from when I picked up my LEAF.
Yes, it has the fast charging port.
Feb 15, 2004
621 posts
157 upvotes
Newmarket
Focus wrote: The range is too limited for my taste, 160km meaning if you live/work in uptown and want to make trip to DT after work you're in the danger zone depends on how the Regenerative Braking System work. Leaf's range looks much better, for me I still waiting for the volt clearance I think it fit Canadian life style much better.
Actually Focus has slightly better range than Leaf. Focus EV range is 115miles vs 107 miles on Leaf.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1774 posts
739 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hoc022 wrote: Actually Focus has slightly better range than Leaf. Focus EV range is 115miles vs 107 miles on Leaf.
I meant 2017 leaf.
Nov 16, 2008
329 posts
199 upvotes
hoc022 wrote: Actually Focus has slightly better range than Leaf. Focus EV range is 115miles vs 107 miles on Leaf.
Just to save everyone the search: 115 miles = 185 kms

To put it into perspective, from Toronto, ON (downtown core), you can go to Collingwood, ON or Niagara, ON in one full charge, but will probably have to full charge again in order to get back.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1247 posts
770 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
20k OTR seems like a good deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2367 posts
934 upvotes
Ottawa
hamachi wrote: Just to save everyone the search: 115 miles = 185 kms

To put it into perspective, from Toronto, ON (downtown core), you can go to Collingwood, ON or Niagara, ON in one full charge, but will probably have to full charge again in order to get back.
Wouldn't be too bad with a fast charger (charge while you eat or something) but with the regular charger it might take too long
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10263 posts
9264 upvotes
Kitchener
This MAY be the best deal on an EV currently. Sacrifice QUITE a bit of trunk space going from a Leaf to a Focus though. I'm pretty sure that the Leaf trunk is more than double the size of the Focus EV's trunk. Other than that, price on the Focus is better and range is ALSO better (at LEAST 200km real world with a 33kWh battery - EPA estimates of 185km can be used for winter range). If I wasn't currently leasing my Leaf (with a day 1 Model 3 on order), I'd be very seriously considering a Focus EV.

To put it in perspective, in the BEST case scenario, I can eek out 200km in my Leaf with a 24kWh battery........a 33kWh battery in the Focus should be able to do 200km on most days without any issues and 260km+ in ideal situations..
Mar 2, 2016
859 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
Focus wrote: The range is too limited for my taste, 160km meaning if you live/work in uptown and want to make trip to DT after work you're in the danger zone depends on how the Regenerative Braking System work. Leaf's range looks much better, for me I still waiting for the volt clearance I think it fit Canadian life style much better.
Agree about the Volt being more suitable, but I can't see myself driving the Leaf... Its design is so repulsive. The new Nissan pickup's is as well.
Regarding the range, Richmond Hill to Union Station is ~35km if you take the long way. x2 (assuming not charging while at work) makes it ~70km, which gives you an extra over 100% leeway. How does that put you in the danger zone?
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
The price seems about $1000 cheaper than I would expect, but I will send the same dealer an email and see what they tell me, I also know one that swears they will match anything, assuming not the same one, so I will report back!
Cool Beans
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
JamesPlomppy wrote: Agree about the Volt being more suitable, but I can't see myself driving the Leaf... Its design is so repulsive. The new Nissan pickup's is as well.
Regarding the range, Richmond Hill to Union Station is ~35km if you take the long way. x2 (assuming not charging while at work) makes it ~70km, which gives you an extra over 100% leeway. How does that put you in the danger zone?
The Volt is at least 10k more, if not 15
Cool Beans
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10263 posts
9264 upvotes
Kitchener
QTheNukes wrote: The Volt is at least 10k more, if not 15
It's about $8k more........but also comes with all of the extra moving parts and along with those, the extra maintenance required of an internal combustion engine. No maintenance is a GREAT thing to have!

Here's a current hydro bill for my home & Leaf (should apply DIRECTLY to the Focus EV), so you'd know what to expect to pay for a 2000 sq ft home and about 2500km of driving per month. Remember to subtract all of your current gasoline bills from this number. Once I subtracted my gasoline bills, this number ended up being negative $200. Basically my home hydro is free and I'm putting $200 back into my pocket every month that I used to spend on gasoline.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
I remember in the Volt thread it says $31k for the Volt so it's about $11k more.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote: I remember in the Volt thread it says $31k for the Volt so it's about $11k more.
Yes, Volt is 11k more granted yet non-existent range anxiety and no need for a second ICE car.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1774 posts
739 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JamesPlomppy wrote: Agree about the Volt being more suitable, but I can't see myself driving the Leaf... Its design is so repulsive. The new Nissan pickup's is as well.
From Stouffville, yesterday I start my route from Stouffville drop by Richmond Hill(12km) to work on hwy 7(11km) to college/Dufferin(40km) back to Stouffville(55km). That was 120km give or take on 160km range in winter(bing said 100miles/google said 115miles so I take lower #), that is the last 1/4 of the range. If it was like other said it will go 180km to 220km than yet it is far from danger zone.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
2156 posts
3182 upvotes
GTA
Pardon the silly question but if I live in a bldg downtown with no Ev hookup how do I charge the car every night?

Are there charging stations to use for free and how long with it take to get a charge?

Highly interested!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)