Automotive

2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 9:49 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2254 posts
741 upvotes
Ottawa
reddok wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:31 am
Well, after 4-1/2 months of waiting, I finally emailed my dealership again and was told they were cancelling my order as I didn't get in the 2017 allocation. How in the hell it takes them 4-1/2 months to figure this out is beyond me. Now I'm stuck with no vehicle, and the full bill for my EVSE station as I don't have a VIN to claim the rebate. The dealership experience was awful, communication was awful and of course the dealership blames it all on Ford. Sorry Ford, you've lost a customer for life - and I now instead of telling people how great this car is that I would have bought, I'll be telling people to stay far away from Ford and it's dealerships.
Wow that's horrible. What dealer?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2463 posts
708 upvotes
So... called my insurance and the rate is now $100 more a month than my quote in April. April quote expired and even the rep on the phone was surprised.

Double check your rates.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Member
Sep 25, 2015
344 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:40 pm
My status is still "awaiting for shipment" :(
At least you have a status. My dealer won't return any of my voice messages.

Yonge Steeles
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
freddd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:17 pm
My car was built on the 16th of August, I think yours was around that time. I've been contacting my sales guy who has been super helpful and is just as frustrated as I am it seems.

My concern is that it has been almost a month now since the car has been built. I am 350km away. Why isn't the car here? Why is the car, which I have put down $1,000 of my own money towards, sitting in a yard while I am racking up miles on my other cars?

He told me that I'm the last guy getting an FFE in Ontario, and that there is another car, along with mine sitting in the yard at the plant waiting to be shipped. What he then proceeded to tell me, and the total horse shit problem here, is that it's up to the truck driver to determine whether or not they want to pick up the car and bring it to Ontario. And you guessed it, Focuses don't pay as much as other cars.

I was hoping to call Ford "Canada" Customer service but they are in the US as someone has indicated.

So we don't have our cars because some truck drivers are lazy, basically.
My blend date was Aug 17th but the car didn't get built until the 28th. Has your sales give you the status of your car like "awaiting for shipment" or " in transportation" something like that? Sales should be able to get the status through their system. I would imagine yours should be on the same shipment as dgnr8 as hers was built on the 15th.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:31 pm
At least you have a status. My dealer won't return any of my voice messages.

Yonge Steeles
And it doesn't help that their call center is down :(
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2463 posts
708 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:31 pm
At least you have a status. My dealer won't return any of my voice messages.

Yonge Steeles
Just go to the dealership. I only made progress with them by being super persistent.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Newbie
May 22, 2017
76 posts
33 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:15 pm
So it brakes MUCH harder and then you say except this and that LOL.
I can probably get my stick shift to brake faster than the Focus fairly easily.,
sure, you put in R and full rudder left.
But for the brake light thing, I just don't understand why it doesn't lit up for Regen brake, when ford call it as brake.
I know some car even flash the brake light when gas pedal is suddenly lifted, it should be an add-on feature IMO.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2254 posts
741 upvotes
Ottawa
modelerIII wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:13 pm
sure, you put in R and full rudder left.
But for the brake light thing, I just don't understand why it doesn't lit up for Regen brake, when ford call it as brake.
I know some car even flash the brake light when gas pedal is suddenly lifted, it should be an add-on feature IMO.
I'd be annoyed as all hell if the car threw on the brake lights whenever I took my foot off the gas to be honest.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 8, 2009
514 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
Konowl wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:59 am
The potential risk was there for the last 20 years when I drove a stick shift too. To me, regen seems to slow down about the same as my old stick shift did. It's sad that we have to talk about brake lights turning on automatically because the car slows down; if people didn't tailgate all the time and actually drove this wouldn't be an issue.
There is no efficiency benefit from driving in L . In fact it is more efficient to drive in D. In D you get three phases: drive, "coast" and regen. In L you only get 2: drive and regen. The most efficient motion is when the motor is doing nothing between accelerating and braking as there are losses associated with converting motion back into stored battery energy. The brake pedal will activate all available regen capability and only when additional braking beyong the regen limit is demanded will it use the conventional brakes. So 4 minutes driving: 1 accelerate, 2 cruise, 1 brake is more efficient than 2 min acceleration followed by 2 min regen braking. L is only meant for regulating speed descending hiils and not for normal driving. No brake light when driving in L should therefore be a non issue. Also driving in L puts more workload on the battery as it is either charging or discharging all the time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2254 posts
741 upvotes
Ottawa
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:43 pm
There is no efficiency benefit from driving in L . In fact it is more efficient to drive in D. In D you get three phases: drive, "coast" and regen. In L you only get 2: drive and regen. The most efficient motion is when the motor is doing nothing between accelerating and braking as there are losses associated with converting motion back into stored battery energy. The brake pedal will activate all available regen capability and only when additional braking beyong the regen limit is demanded will it use the conventional brakes. So 4 minutes driving: 1 accelerate, 2 cruise, 1 brake is more efficient than 2 min acceleration followed by 2 min regen braking. L is only meant for regulating speed descending hiils and not for normal driving. No brake light when driving in L should therefore be a non issue. Also driving in L puts more workload on the battery as it is either charging or discharging all the time.
This doesn't really change the conversation at hand or my stance, however you're right. From the manual:

L (Low) • Provides maximum motor braking. • Is not intended for use under extended or normal driving conditions and results in less miles per charge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 6, 2007
1605 posts
235 upvotes
Everyone, I just had a unexpected incident with my FFE during my commute home, similar to what anotjwr RFDer had previously. I was on a city road (Warden Ave), driving in L, went up to 60km/h and then I couldn't go any higher, I tried stepping further down on gas but it didn't do anything. There was a red light, so I slowed down and stopped. When it was green, I couldn't move. I turned on my hazard lights, turned off my car, turned it back on, nothing. Turned it off, turned it back on and then I could drive again. Got honked at, longest 30 seconds of my life. Luckily, I didn't have to call roadside assistance and get towed... I called the dealership right away, gonna take it in for a look next week. Didn't have any other issues since this happened at around 4:30pm. Scary though...
Newbie
Aug 7, 2017
25 posts
8 upvotes
freddd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:17 pm
My car was built on the 16th of August, I think yours was around that time. I've been contacting my sales guy who has been super helpful and is just as frustrated as I am it seems.

My concern is that it has been almost a month now since the car has been built. I am 350km away. Why isn't the car here? Why is the car, which I have put down $1,000 of my own money towards, sitting in a yard while I am racking up miles on my other cars?

He told me that I'm the last guy getting an FFE in Ontario, and that there is another car, along with mine sitting in the yard at the plant waiting to be shipped. What he then proceeded to tell me, and the total horse shit problem here, is that it's up to the truck driver to determine whether or not they want to pick up the car and bring it to Ontario. And you guessed it, Focuses don't pay as much as other cars.

I was hoping to call Ford "Canada" Customer service but they are in the US as someone has indicated.

So we don't have our cars because some truck drivers are lazy, basically.
If you are the last guy getting a FFE in Ontario what happens to the rest of us? I have a VIN #, so can Ford just decide not to build the car? My dealer told me that having a VIN # essentially guarantees you a car.
Newbie
Aug 7, 2017
25 posts
8 upvotes
reddok wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:31 am
Well, after 4-1/2 months of waiting, I finally emailed my dealership again and was told they were cancelling my order as I didn't get in the 2017 allocation. How in the hell it takes them 4-1/2 months to figure this out is beyond me. Now I'm stuck with no vehicle, and the full bill for my EVSE station as I don't have a VIN to claim the rebate. The dealership experience was awful, communication was awful and of course the dealership blames it all on Ford. Sorry Ford, you've lost a customer for life - and I now instead of telling people how great this car is that I would have bought, I'll be telling people to stay far away from Ford and it's dealerships.
I feel bad for reddok Crying Face I think the dealer must have screwed up - maybe waited too long to order his car? My purchase date was April 29th and I got a VIN, so there's no logical reason why reddok wouldn't have a VIN when he ordered the week before. Another possibility, that someone alluded to above, is that the dealer might be doing something shady like keeping the car for a family member or VIP client.

I think that reddok should first try Facebook and then contact a lawyer if he doesn't get results.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2463 posts
708 upvotes
UNDFTDss wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:15 pm
Everyone, I just had a unexpected incident with my FFE during my commute home, similar to what anotjwr RFDer had previously. I was on a city road (Warden Ave), driving in L, went up to 60km/h and then I couldn't go any higher, I tried stepping further down on gas but it didn't do anything. There was a red light, so I slowed down and stopped. When it was green, I couldn't move. I turned on my hazard lights, turned off my car, turned it back on, nothing. Turned it off, turned it back on and then I could drive again. Got honked at, longest 30 seconds of my life. Luckily, I didn't have to call roadside assistance and get towed... I called the dealership right away, gonna take it in for a look next week. Didn't have any other issues since this happened at around 4:30pm. Scary though...
So, we all waited a long time for cars that may be defective? What are the chances of 2 people on this thread having the same issue?

Also, has anyone pulled insurance quotes lately for the car? Working on it tonight and I am consistently getting $160, higher than months ago.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
AnDude wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:25 pm
If you are the last guy getting a FFE in Ontario what happens to the rest of us? I have a VIN #, so can Ford just decide not to build the car? My dealer told me that having a VIN # essentially guarantees you a car.
I don't really believe the last guy getting FFE and lazy drivers part.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 2 guests)

jeongyun, AnDude, aximrocks, dgnr8, mohitk