• Jun 21st, 2018 8:34 am
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2837 posts
1108 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 5:35 pm
Why are you using l1 over l2?
Cause I've been doing some diy reno and have stuff in my garage.
Jun 13, 2017
30 posts
6 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 7:13 pm
I have 100,000 km and going strong on Tesla's first mass market EV, the Model S, over 100,000 sold to date, and owners are more satisfied with their Tesla's than any other brand. The laughing has stopped at competing car makers, they are on the "fight" stage if you haven't noticed.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win” originated with Mahatma Gandhi.
Click Here...

You forgot to mention cars like the Nissan Leaf (that out-sell Tesla significantly), and both government incentives attracting buyers and regulations pushing manufacturers to get into the "fight" stage.

I honestly believe that Tesla needs to nail the Model 3, and I hope to God they do for the sake of the planet. But I think people need a wake-up call on what's about to happen to their reputation/share value once their market extends beyond early adopters with secondary cars to a include families who are trading in their keys from their Camry, their only car, to get their 2.1 kids to school and back. They're selling into a market that expects Toyota-level reliability.
Mar 21, 2017
28 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 8:19 am
After thinking about it more, I decided to keep my FFE order. Picking up the car on Friday. After all, model 3 is twice the price and you likely have to wait 2 years for a new order. Lemons exist in all manufacturing. Even Tesla is not perfect.
Hang in there buddy. Wait is almost over!

The ride so quiet and smooth. The car is fully loaded and I don't think there is any better car at the price we paid for it.
Sep 8, 2014
609 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto, ON
freddd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:05 am

You forgot to mention cars like the Nissan Leaf (that out-sell Tesla significantly)
Wrong:
http://insideevs.com/august-2017-plug-i ... port-card/
Tesla S and X each outselling Leaf substantially in 2017 in US (and North America), and accelerating that difference.

freddd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:05 am

I honestly believe that Tesla needs to nail the Model 3...They're selling into a market that expects Toyota-level reliability.
I do agree reliability is important, but nice try trying to bring Toyota into this, Toyota lost many many Prius customers to Tesla over the past few years, even with the 4x cost disparity to a Model S.

Tesla Model 3 will be ~$50K Canadian, competing with BMW, Audi and Mercedes, none of whom are purchased for reliability. The mid-price premium performance sedan segment has been disrupted by Tesla.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
Time will tell how good the model 3 is. Arguing it'll be good or bad is just your personal assumption.
Jun 13, 2017
30 posts
6 upvotes
I have no doubts that the car will be great, but I've got reservations about how smoothly/profitably they'll transition into building 400,000 per year or whatever their target is.

My point is that I believe the majority of the current Tesla customer base is made up of people who are first adopters and as such have a higher "pain threshold" to problematic products/cars. The fact that Toyota lost Prius sales to Tesla is irrelevant to my point since those people simply bought the next best thing, which at that time was a Model S or X. It isn't because the Tesla offers the same level of quality, because a simple google search proves that the opposite (see previous post). The Prius simply isn't the trendiest green car anymore, and certain people will pay a 4x multiple to have a the next best thing. Are you saying that Tesla has the same level of quality as Toyota?

Tesla market's their cars on total cost of ownership and they'd be absolutely foolish not to. Although the car may cost $50k Canadian, they will sell them to Camry/etc. owners and still be price competitive in the absence of fossil fuel costs and ICE maintenance. So they will be going into this type of market despite existing products costing much less.

Anyway, we'll see. This is just my opinion. I just want my stupid Focus at this point.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1531 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
xrvr wrote:
Sep 16th, 2017 10:39 pm
Speed is limited at 135.
Not sure why would you even go 130.

Pretty sure in the manual limit is 140.
You might want to go higher than 130 to pass someone quickly on a single lane road.
Mar 2, 2011
166 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
freddd wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 2:10 pm
I have no doubts that the car will be great, but I've got reservations about how smoothly/profitably they'll transition into building 400,000 per year or whatever their target is.

My point is that I believe the majority of the current Tesla customer base is made up of people who are first adopters and as such have a higher "pain threshold" to problematic products/cars. The fact that Toyota lost Prius sales to Tesla is irrelevant to my point since those people simply bought the next best thing, which at that time was a Model S or X. It isn't because the Tesla offers the same level of quality, because a simple google search proves that the opposite (see previous post). The Prius simply isn't the trendiest green car anymore, and certain people will pay a 4x multiple to have a the next best thing. Are you saying that Tesla has the same level of quality as Toyota?

Tesla market's their cars on total cost of ownership and they'd be absolutely foolish not to. Although the car may cost $50k Canadian, they will sell them to Camry/etc. owners and still be price competitive in the absence of fossil fuel costs and ICE maintenance. So they will be going into this type of market despite existing products costing much less.

Anyway, we'll see. This is just my opinion. I just want my stupid Focus at this point.
Agreed.. The Tesla / Musk circlejerk is crazy.. but maybe I don't understand it because I don't have a Model 3 reservation :P

It's great that there are so many EV options these days, and there will only be more in the future, but it's just unfortunate that FFE is dead last in popularity, even though it's (a) so cheap! and (b) well speced ignoring the battery - I guess FFE would be much more popular if it had a more integrated and larger battery along with higher production capacity. Even the e-Golf gets a lot more media with similar battery capacity, which is unfortunate.

We'll see if my opinion changes in 3 years.. still waiting for my FFE too
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1531 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
Another little disappointment in Ford assembly.
I bought 15'' alloy rims for winter off kijiji and tried to see how they fit.
One of the lug nuts didn't fit properly into the socket and I had a hard time unscrewing it. After I took off the wheel I saw that the stud's thread is damaged and the wheel hub is already rusty where it touches the rim. The nut's thread seems like damaged too as it doesn't fit any other good stud. Is that normal for wheel hubs to be rusty after just 2 months of use?
p.s. rims fit fine.
Jun 12, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
seafish wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:44 am
One of the lug nuts didn't fit properly into the socket and I had a hard time unscrewing it. After I took off the wheel I saw that the stud's thread is damaged and the wheel hub is already rusty where it touches the rim. The nut's thread seems like damaged too as it doesn't fit any other good stud. Is that normal for wheel hubs to be rusty after just 2 months of use?
Rust is normal.
Cross threaded wheel stud is not. I think it should be covered under warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1501 posts
532 upvotes
Ontario
seafish wrote:

p.s. rims fit fine.
The rotors are made from ordinary steel and will start to rust overnight when wet. Rust can be seen on the braking surface of the rotor if it is parked up for a few days after rain or if a brand new car sits at the dealership a while. It can become an issue when rims become "glued" to the rotor flange surface. Most tire depots have a huge wooden mallet they use to smash the wheel off in such circumstances.

As far as the thread is concerned if the nut unscrewed off OK it should screw back on again. If the thread was too badly damaged to get a nut on then it wouldn't have been on there. I am sure that is what the dealer would say. It is also what I say to tire guys when they tell me my thread is damaged after they took the wheel off and tried getting the nut back on. As long as the thread isn't too badly damaged you can clean it up with a wire brush and as long as you manage to get the nut started correctly it will improve the thread as it id screwed on. I would use another nut to do this though.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
seafish wrote:
p.s. rims fit fine.
Wheel hub rust is normal but that picture does make you feel it's a bit too rusty for a new car. I don't even remember my old car is that rusty.
Aug 7, 2017
72 posts
35 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:12 pm
Wheel hub rust is normal but that picture does make you feel it's a bit too rusty for a new car. I don't even remember my old car is that rusty.
If his car was sitting in the factory lot half as long as your car, then I can understand why it's so rusty. :rolleyes:
Aug 21, 2016
17 posts
1 upvote
Selkirk
If the bolt was cross threaded with the nut you will see damage on both items exactly like you have. The nut will not thread on easily but will still go on and hold and since it was probably applied using power tools at the factory the worker probably forced it on and didn't think anymore about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1531 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
The question is, should I go through warranty? I guess I should as it might get worse with time.
Why it didn't fit the socket properly though? Because of extra force that was applied when they were tightening it which damaged the outside surface of the nut too? There are some traces of rust there too (and not on other nuts) as you can see from the picture.