2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 10:01 am
May 22, 2017
76 posts
33 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:23 pm
The following scenario may or may not have something to do with what happened. I tried a bit of hypermiling for a while which involved moving between L, N and D trying to maximize regen and mileage. I do not do this now. So I would coast in N when I saw a red light up ahead and then select L to slow running up to the light. I would then move the selector to D ready to move off. A few times I got the selector in the wrong place and it was in N rather than D. I think this is because I moved one stop forward from L to N rather than from N to D. In an ICE car when you try to move away in neutral the engine revs freely and you know you are in N. In a BEV literally nothing happens - it seems dead. Switching on and off makes no difference until the transmission selector is moved. This is one of the reasons I only drive around in D now and leave it there all the time until I park up. Just a scenario that may explain what happened, especially as the car was good to go after 30 secs.
it put into N as a safety mode maybe. you cannot change it btw N and D in FFE, unlike in ICE car you can.
N will disengage motor and transmission e.g. towing, pretty sure in BEV when no gear change is needed, the torque converter/clutch mechanism will be very weak, so you messed N and D and computer detect that and give you time out.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1605 posts
235 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:50 am
Were there any warning lights when it happened?
Not that I remembered.
QTheNukes wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:03 am
Maybe the car had turned off? Did you lose power steering as well?
It didn't turn off. Everything was still on, I remember the green drive icon was still on too. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. I really do like this car a lot but I'm a little spooked by the incident. If anyone is interested in watching the 1.5 min Dashcam footage: Click Here.
Jan 8, 2009
514 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
modelerIII wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:30 am
it put into N as a safety mode maybe. you cannot change it btw N and D in FFE, unlike in ICE car you can.
N will disengage motor and transmission e.g. towing, pretty sure in BEV when no gear change is needed, the torque converter/clutch mechanism will be very weak, so you messed N and D and computer detect that and give you time out.
Sure you can change between N and D when driving. Its a safety issue to be able disconnect power to wheels on all cars. Yes it will disengage motor and enter a freewheel condition when you will only have friction brakes. Computer will not give a "time out" whatever that means. I watched the dashcam and though it doesn't help identify what happened conclusively I can hear what sounds like the transmission lever being used just before the vehicle moves off. On second viewing I also noticed what sounds like the transmission lever being moved at the 12 second mark which I suspect was into neutral. I also do not hear the distinctive sound of regenerative braking as the car brakes to a halt after that point which again points to the car being in neutral. Sounds like an honest mistake to me that is not the fault of the car.

Interestingly there is a video on Youtube (Scott M Decker) entitled "Ford Focus Electric (FFE) Transmission Failure". In that video it is quite clear that the reason the car doesn't move is that the parking brake is on. Big red warning sign on the display. Comments are disabled. Nothing wrong with the car in that video. The guy can be heard disengaging the parking brake before the failure mode miraculously cures itself. In that case it almost seems like they are trying to frighten people off buying an FFE. Sometimes people only read the headlines. Maybe he is sponsored by big oil!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
freddd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:17 pm
My car was built on the 16th of August, I think yours was around that time. I've been contacting my sales guy who has been super helpful and is just as frustrated as I am it seems.

My concern is that it has been almost a month now since the car has been built. I am 350km away. Why isn't the car here? Why is the car, which I have put down $1,000 of my own money towards, sitting in a yard while I am racking up miles on my other cars?

He told me that I'm the last guy getting an FFE in Ontario, and that there is another car, along with mine sitting in the yard at the plant waiting to be shipped. What he then proceeded to tell me, and the total horse shit problem here, is that it's up to the truck driver to determine whether or not they want to pick up the car and bring it to Ontario. And you guessed it, Focuses don't pay as much as other cars.

I was hoping to call Ford "Canada" Customer service but they are in the US as someone has indicated.

So we don't have our cars because some truck drivers are lazy, basically.
Fred, if your car is awaiting for shipment too I think our cars will probably get shipped together. I'll give you an update if I get any news from my sales guy.
Nov 1, 2005
435 posts
13 upvotes
Mine was built on Aug 14th and still waiting, supposed to be here last week.
Sep 25, 2015
344 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ven0r wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:49 am
Mine was built on Aug 14th and still waiting, supposed to be here last week.
Dealer said I can come by to pick up a rental car until FFE arrives. I think if you have a rental it puts more pressure on the dealer to release the car.
Jun 13, 2017
29 posts
5 upvotes
If you have your VIN, your car exists, and you're getting a car. If you don't have a VIN, your car doesn't exist, and you are most likely not getting a car.
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:20 am
Fred, if your car is awaiting for shipment too I think our cars will probably get shipped together. I'll give you an update if I get any news from my sales guy.
My car's ETA was August 28th to September 5th. Then it was September 4th to September 10th. Now ETA is pending. A "pending" ETA doesn't sound like progress to me. The car has been sitting in a lot for almost a month now, which is absurd.

All your sales guy is doing is checking the report. The way it was explained to me is there is no incentive for the truck drivers to pick up FFEs and bring them to Ontario because they don't pay very well relative to other vehicles that they could be transporting (they work on a piece work system I guess). That doesn't make sense to me but it's apparently how their system works.

I have a formal complaint in with Ford Canada and will be hearing from them by the end of the day tomorrow.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:13 pm
Dealer said I can come by to pick up a rental car until FFE arrives. I think if you have a rental it puts more pressure on the dealer to release the car.
So the dealer is willing to provide you a rental car? That's nice of them. I've asked my dealer and they refused :(
Sep 25, 2015
344 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:25 pm
So the dealer is willing to provide you a rental car? That's nice of them. I've asked my dealer and they refused :(
Call Ford Canada. They can also help with persuading the dealer to provide a rental. You have the option to submit a review of the dealer to Ford Canada so it's in the dealer's best interest to help especially if you were promised delivery by a certain date.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2463 posts
708 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:25 pm
When I got the rental it was because I was totally stuck. I literally had no other option but to rent a car. If you describe what your hardship is that might help.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
freddd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:24 pm
If you have your VIN, your car exists, and you're getting a car. If you don't have a VIN, your car doesn't exist, and you are most likely not getting a car.

My car's ETA was August 28th to September 5th. Then it was September 4th to September 10th. Now ETA is pending. A "pending" ETA doesn't sound like progress to me. The car has been sitting in a lot for almost a month now, which is absurd.

All your sales guy is doing is checking the report. The way it was explained to me is there is no incentive for the truck drivers to pick up FFEs and bring them to Ontario because they don't pay very well relative to other vehicles that they could be transporting (they work on a piece work system I guess). That doesn't make sense to me but it's apparently how their system works.

I have a formal complaint in with Ford Canada and will be hearing from them by the end of the day tomorrow.
My ETAs are pretty much in line with yours lol. How did you submit a formal complaint? I'll do the same.
Sep 25, 2015
344 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:37 pm
My ETAs are pretty much in line with yours lol. How did you submit a formal complaint? I'll do the same.
Just call Ford Canada and say you want to submit a formal complaint but be prepared to explain the situation with facts because they will call the dealer to verify and dealer management staff will be involved.
Jun 13, 2017
29 posts
5 upvotes
^ Exactly. I should say again that my sales guy has been very responsive and is just as frustrated with the situation as I am. I don't think it's an issue at the dealership level, they can't control anything.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3248 posts
313 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:48 pm
Just call Ford Canada and say you want to submit a formal complaint but be prepared to explain the situation with facts because they will call the dealer to verify and dealer management staff will be involved.
What's your car's status? Waiting to be shipped or on its way to dealer?
Sep 25, 2015
344 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:44 pm
What's your car's status? Waiting to be shipped or on its way to dealer?
In transit... Expected sometime next week

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 1 guest)

jeongyun, seafish, phillbert, aximrocks, dgnr8, mohitk