Automotive

2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 9:13 am
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2775 posts
973 upvotes
All I can say to those in the crummy process of waiting is the car is worth the wait. Ford's behaviour defies logic, but once the car arrives you will hopefully forget about this painful process.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Jan 18, 2012
688 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
build date was Aug 29th, looks like the car is here, I'm told car will be ready by the end of the week... interesting.

EDIT: Also ETA by the Ford CSR was Sept 24th when I called like 6 weeks ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1654 posts
257 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:52 am
Any news on your FFE?
When I called them today, they told me they can't identify the issue. As per MyFord app, they drove it yesterday for 4.4km and they were unable to recreate the stalling issue. I really hope they don't just give me back the car and go "there is nothing wrong with it because we don't have a clue"...

Here is something interesting though, I realize that on the two days where my car stalled (Sept 12 and Sept 15), both times I charged my car with the L2 charger at Eglinton Square shopping centre. Is it possible a charger can cause this issue?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2833 posts
1107 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 6:24 am
If they give you the car back without any fix I would call Ford Canada and see if they can get their engineers involved while the car is still at the dealer. Say it is a safety issue (no warning light) and you want to give them a chance to review before contacting transport Canada.

If this doesn't work out, It may be worth while buying in the Forscan software in case the issue happens again to collect all the data from the vehicle when it's in the failed state.

Though my feeling is Ford Canada would want to investigate.
I highly doubt that. Any car company, not just Ford won't lift a finger if the dealer can't reproduce it, while it sucks (I've had an issue they couldn't reproduce in one of my other cars), have to make sure you have video evidence of it when it happens and how it happened, glad everyone that's received theirs has enjoyed their car. I went for the 25K/year lease and am racking up the mileage on this thing. Stopped driving my weekend toy and SUV ever since I got it. Feels great not to have to pay for gas. As for those who haven't received their cars yet, like everything else on RFD, you snooze you lose.

Enjoy your FFE everyone, fun little EV. Once my lease is up I'll definitely be getting another Ford EV if the price is right. Hope you guys get all your issues figured out. As for those calling everyday to b!tch, it's out of the dealer/customer rep's hands, this is all on the manufacturing plants and I doubt the dealers or Ford customer service can do anything so why bother giving them a hard time.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:20 am
In terms of whether complaining is warranted or not, i think it depends on the situation. For example, dealer provided incorrect ETA and now you're stuck without a car. It's great that you have so many cars but not everyone does. A rental is definitely helpful. In my case, it's frustrating that dealer wants to take 2 weeks to do PDI.
+1. Dealer can do something like providing a rental car to help customers, not totally out of their hands. For me this will be the last Ford new car I'll ever buy, I have no faith in Ford's delivery after this.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2833 posts
1107 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:20 am
In terms of whether complaining is warranted or not, i think it depends on the situation. For example, dealer provided incorrect ETA and now you're stuck without a car. It's great that you have so many cars but not everyone does. A rental is definitely helpful. In my case, it's frustrating that dealer wants to take 2 weeks to do PDI.
Have you ever bought a car before? Cause If you did you'd know their estimate at signing is never right. So what exactly is complain going to do now? The dealer Can t exactly call up the factory and ask them to move your order to the front line.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2833 posts
1107 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:39 am
+1. Dealer can do something like providing a rental car to help customers, not totally out of their hands. For me this will be the last Ford new car I'll ever buy, I have no faith in Ford's delivery after this.
Seems like you feel too entitled. They don't really owe you that but those who did get a free loaner car consider yourself lucky.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
anhtuan wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 am
Seems like you feel too entitled. They don't really owe you that but those who did get a free loaner car consider yourself lucky.
I feel too entitled? I can see you are the type of customers that dealerships like the most. I've bought 4 new cars before this is absolutely THE worst experience.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:07 pm
I undercoated my car, I will take a photo tomorrow to see if there is any rust - those parts you were showing rusted would take 15+ years to rust through, so there is no issue there
There are battery packs under the car. Did you avoid those areas? I'll most likely return the car after 3 years so I'm not going to rust proof it.
Aug 7, 2017
72 posts
35 upvotes
anhtuan wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 am
I disagree. When a dealer provides an ETA of 8 - 10 weeks expectations are set where 10 weeks would be considered the worst case scenario. If my dealer had said 8 - 26 weeks at signing my expectation would have been different, and the outcome of the deal may have been different as well.
I feel sorry for anyone who had their lease expire during this fiasco. The excuse that "This is the way things are" is unacceptable and wearing thin. Just because this may be the norm (which I hardly doubt) does not mean that Ford should not try to improve on their forecasting, production, delivery, communication (with both the dealers and customers), or customer service.
Jun 12, 2016
442 posts
146 upvotes
Mississauga
UNDFTDss wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 10:40 pm
When I called them today, they told me they can't identify the issue. As per MyFord app, they drove it yesterday for 4.4km and they were unable to recreate the stalling issue. I really hope they don't just give me back the car and go "there is nothing wrong with it because we don't have a clue"...

Here is something interesting though, I realize that on the two days where my car stalled (Sept 12 and Sept 15), both times I charged my car with the L2 charger at Eglinton Square shopping centre. Is it possible a charger can cause this issue?
In a way, I'm not surprised at all that they're unable to replicate the same issue. As another user mentioned, I would ask for them to keep diagnosing the problem until the identify the issue and have them contact Ford engineers for assistance. In my experience, the dealership I purchased from employed the most experienced "EV technician in the country"- yet even he had to go "off the map" and try to fix the issue with my FFE. Whatever you do, don't feel comfortable with taking the car back without some sort of good explanation that your car is road worthy.

What you are experiencing is now sounding like what I am experiencing, minus the warning light- which is mysterious. Let us know how it all plays out. If you have any questions that I can help with, PM me. I know the feeling of anxiety when a brand new car doesn't work the way it is supposed to especially when it impacts your safety.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1471 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga
Just called Ford Canada and no ETA for me either. Order date was March 23, build date Aug 9. Unreal.....
1st and last Ford for me.
Apr 6, 2017
72 posts
102 upvotes
Is it too late to hop on this deal? I don't mind waiting
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1522 posts
910 upvotes
Canada
updoot wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 2:11 pm
Is it too late to hop on this deal? I don't mind waiting
Only if you can find someone who is tired of the wait.
Apr 6, 2017
72 posts
102 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 2:52 pm
Only if you can find someone who is tired of the wait.
seems like my onlyoption of a EV that looks like a sedan is the ioniq