The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
guessguy wrote: Well it's been almost 2 months since my FFE has been in the shop and still no ETA on when I'll get it back. This is nuts. We've only driven 450 KM. Wife and I are really starting to get agitated and annoyed. I've email Ford HQ and no response. Dealer does not have any additional info.
Shall we hit up CTV news for some help?
did you get a rental in the meantime
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Got my rebate today. It took almost exactly 3 months.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
dgnr8 wrote: Got my rebate today. It took almost exactly 3 months.
Both car and charger rebates?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Elec2016 wrote: Both car and charger rebates?
Haven't applied for charger, just car. I am moving so I am waiting to apply for the instal at the new house.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
I am up to 10,000 km's no issues - added windshield washer fluid and put on winter tires, $1.99 and $60 (+cost of tires and rims)
Cool Beans
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
guessguy wrote: Well it's been almost 2 months since my FFE has been in the shop and still no ETA on when I'll get it back. This is nuts. We've only driven 450 KM. Wife and I are really starting to get agitated and annoyed. I've email Ford HQ and no response. Dealer does not have any additional info.
Shall we hit up CTV news for some help?
Have you contacted the Service Manager yet? He would be the place to start if you have and still aren't getting any information next is the Fixed operations manager he will get the information. I wouldn't do CTV yet until you talk to the higher ups.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Have you contacted the Service Manager yet? He would be the place to start if you have and still aren't getting any information next is the Fixed operations manager he will get the information. I wouldn't do CTV yet until you talk to the higher ups.
I think you are right. Besides we are part of the 1% that have them, parts are not going to be abundant, and problem solving is probably behind the 8 ball. My personal worry is my car getting smashed up, think they could fix that?? Probably almost certainly a write off just because of the parts involved. Then what, there aren't many replacement options.
Cool Beans
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3258 posts
4517 upvotes
Toronto
Observations I've come with up after 13,000 km and a couple of fairly cold weeks in my 2017 FFE.
1. Get winter tires, if you can afford them. There's no gear box, so you can't gear down to slow down your car.
Regen in L helps, but it's not the same.
FFE's are a lot heavier than their ICE siblings, and in the emergency all that high tech wizardry won't help you.
2. Every time you turn on your cabin heater, it kills your range. Significantly. There's no way around it.
So, for the short trips in my area, 5-10 minutes, I don't even bother using it.
Dress appropriately, you'll be just fine.
For the longer trips, let's say 30-40 km each way, I use cabin heater to warm up, and when just hold temp at 22C.
After initial hit in range, you can travel quite a bit without draining your battery.
3. Don't count on the fast DCFC chargers anymore in the cold temps.
Li-Ion batts have certain temperature range, so they can function properly.
Anything, let's say below 5C, or above 25C, and their charge rates and capacity suffers.
I've already seen 50 kW charger at Ikea running at 9 kW in the beginning of charging session.
Car was sitting outside all night in -10C, and computer inside FFE was limiting Amps, until battery can take full charge.
So, charging FFE now takes almost an hour, compared to 20 minutes in the summer.
4. Install L2 charger at home or work, it will help you a lot in the winter.
I wouldn't have any concerns about winter range in my car, if I had access to L2.
But, I understand, it's not an option for everyone.
Last edited by xrvr on Dec 18th, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
I have received an email from Mr Comtois at Dupont & Dupont Ford. Their claim to be unable to sell it to me has now been debunked. So now they are trying this:

"We were able to have a discussion with our Ford Rep and we will be able to deliver the two car sold to Ontario citizen and not deliver yet. We will not sell anymore to Ontario citizen because of electric car Quebec law. Here’s the price of the 2018 Focus BEV if you are still interested in taking possession of your order (in attachment). We’ve added a 1000$ dealer rebate in the quote for the two Ontario Orders. Let me know and I will get one of our F&I to reach you to organize paperwork."

Attached was an Offer of Sale for $42958.06 OTR. Is he hoping I forgot I already had one of those that I accepted and made a down payment on for $35262.18 OTR? This guy is a real joker. I am aware of the other order and it is a different scenario to mine. It was the other order that helped prove selling into Ontario was not an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
did you guys have any problems today? first real snow day w/ slush and wet snow

how much has the range decreased? is 115km daily doable?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
Gotoff wrote: did you guys have any problems today? first real snow day w/ slush and wet snow

116 is my exact range driving mostly highway with the heat on. That has been my absolute worst case on a -15 degrees day.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
My TPMS warning is always on after installing winter tires, any solution for this?
Aug 25, 2005
862 posts
108 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote: My TPMS warning is always on after installing winter tires, any solution for this?
Cheapest solution is to take a chance and grab a set of Ford TPMS sensors off ebay.....
Aug 25, 2005
862 posts
108 upvotes
Gotoff wrote: did you guys have any problems today? first real snow day w/ slush and wet snow

Depends on your driving style... and speed. There are some tips from others in this thread on extending your range.
Aug 25, 2005
862 posts
108 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I have received an email from Mr Comtois at Dupont & Dupont Ford. Their claim to be unable to sell it to me has now been debunked. So now they are trying this:

"We were able to have a discussion with our Ford Rep and we will be able to deliver the two car sold to Ontario citizen and not deliver yet. We will not sell anymore to Ontario citizen because of electric car Quebec law. Here’s the price of the 2018 Focus BEV if you are still interested in taking possession of your order (in attachment). We’ve added a 1000$ dealer rebate in the quote for the two Ontario Orders. Let me know and I will get one of our F&I to reach you to organize paperwork."

Attached was an Offer of Sale for $42958.06 OTR. Is he hoping I forgot I already had one of those that I accepted and made a down payment on for $35262.18 OTR? This guy is a real joker. I am aware of the other order and it is a different scenario to mine. It was the other order that helped prove selling into Ontario was not an issue.
You are much more patient than I would be with these guys.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON

It should be doable but you are really getting close to the limit. I would preheat while plugged in at home and turn off the heat for sometime to save some energy.
Mar 4, 2014
292 posts
231 upvotes
GTA
I do about 115km daily with about 40% left in the tank when it's cold, over 50% when warmer. Preheat cabin, use of heater sparingly, with winter tires. Keep speeds under 90 km/hr and drive smooth in L with regen brake most of the time 90%-100%.

The one option I wish for would be a heated steering wheel as I don't like to wear gloves. To keep my hands warm I have a rechargeable hand warmer which I swap between hands while driving, if necessary I can just drop it in my lap in case of emergency. Saves from having to blast the heat unnecessary.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
paksau wrote: I do about 115km daily with about 40% left in the tank when it's cold, over 50% when warmer. Preheat cabin, use of heater sparingly, with winter tires. Keep speeds under 90 km/hr and drive smooth in L with regen brake most of the time 90%-100%.

The one option I wish for would be a heated steering wheel as I don't like to wear gloves. To keep my hands warm I have a rechargeable hand warmer which I swap between hands while driving, if necessary I can just drop it in my lap in case of emergency. Saves from having to blast the heat unnecessary.
That means 190kms without the heat on. Quite impressive considering how cold it was last week. I thought the battery will lose some power in cold winter but it seems not much.
Mar 4, 2014
292 posts
231 upvotes
GTA
That's right, my guess a meter starts at over 220km each morning even during the cold snap, I've seen as high as 250km when warmer on all season tires.

I do use heat sparingly though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)