• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 8:34 am
Jun 12, 2016
459 posts
149 upvotes
Mississauga
jburns41 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:54 am
How are you Enjoying the Cmax? With the difficulty in tracking down the FFE the Energi is on deck... fits all my needs and I think it will work out well for our around town and short trip needs. I prefer the Energi over the hybrid version just because of the rebates currently.
Not sure if you saw the post, but I believe @Vishusibal posted on Oct 21 of an available FFE. Check out post #3774. Not sure if anyone already PM'd him and if it is already sold or not, but worth looking into if you want to get one.
Jan 16, 2007
813 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
seafish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:06 am
Still, it sees that there is not enough time to fully charge in value charge timeframe and it decides that might as well start charging now. That's the logic, might not be what you expect, and I think we should be able to choose what it has to do in this situations. Again, this never happens on L2 charger as there is plenty of time to fully charge the car.
I'm done with Value Charging for the immediate future, until I get L2 I guess. I'm currently on L1 charging and using my trusty timer to charge between 12am and 6am nightly and full charging over the weekend at IKEA. Done it last week and doing it again this week.

Question, for you guys with L2 chargers, do you charge to 100% every night or do you just charge a few hours a night? If you're not charging to 100% nightly, does this make getting a smart chargers a must have?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1529 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
NubNub wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:09 pm
I'm done with Value Charging for the immediate future, until I get L2 I guess. I'm currently on L1 charging and using my trusty timer to charge between 12am and 6am nightly and full charging over the weekend at IKEA. Done it last week and doing it again this week.

Question, for you guys with L2 chargers, do you charge to 100% every night or do you just charge a few hours a night? If you're not charging to 100% nightly, does this make getting a smart chargers a must have?
That's true RFD spirit right here, saving 25-50 cents/day adds up, I guess.
I just do a 100% every day, just start charging at 3 am (through Value Charge setting) to limit the amount of time it sits at 100%. This also allows me not to worry about turning on charger again in the morning for preconditioning.
I'm not sure if smart charger can determine at what % battery state is (there is no 2-way communication). Juicebox you can setup how many kWh to put in the car though, but this can't be done automatically.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:32 pm
I just do a 100% every day, just start charging at 3 am (through Value Charge setting) to limit the amount of time it sits at 100%. This also allows me not to worry about turning on charger again in the morning for preconditioning.
I'm not sure if smart charger can determine at what % battery state is (there is no 2-way communication). Juicebox you can setup how many kWh to put in the car though, but this can't be done automatically.
Limit the amount of time it sits at 100%? Not sure what you are trying to gain by that. Once it's 100% the charger will stop and it doesn't matter if you leave it plugged in or unplugged
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1529 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:38 pm
Limit the amount of time it sits at 100%? Not sure what you are trying to gain by that. Once it's 100% the charger will stop and it doesn't matter if you leave it plugged in or unplugged
Yes, but until 3 am it won't start charging. So, if I start charging at my actual non-peak hours at 7 pm, then it will be charged at 9 pm (I usually use less then 50% battery a day). So it's just going to sit there with 100% charge until 9 am (my usual Go Time) for 12 hours!
Even if 100% is not actually 100% of the battery because Ford is already minimizing damage to it, it is still > 4 V per cell and it's better not to leave it like this for long period of time if you care about degradation.
I'm not using car at night, so why keep it charged, especially if I don't have to do anything, it's all automatic.
Apr 11, 2017
104 posts
45 upvotes
London, ON
NubNub wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:09 pm
I start my charge at midnight and charge to 100%. I do think charge everynight though as I don't need a full charge most of the time. Maybe charge every other night. The only issue is I do think preheat the car if it's not plugged in.

I do really like the option and control with the juicebox so I can do a limited charge if I wanted too.
Jun 29, 2010
38 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
seafish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:32 pm
According to page 113 of the user manual, it may not be safe to disconnect the wall plug by timer while charging.

Note: Do not pull the wall plug from thewall while the vehicle is charging. Doing somay damage the outlet and the cord.

In addition, on page 109. it has a warnings and states that Do not use the 120 volt conveniencecord with an extension cord,two-prong adapter, surge protector,timer or other adapter.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 1:53 pm
Yes, but until 3 am it won't start charging. So, if I start charging at my actual non-peak hours at 7 pm, then it will be charged at 9 pm (I usually use less then 50% battery a day). So it's just going to sit there with 100% charge until 9 am (my usual Go Time) for 12 hours!
Even if 100% is not actually 100% of the battery because Ford is already minimizing damage to it, it is still > 4 V per cell and it's better not to leave it like this for long period of time if you care about degradation.
I'm not using car at night, so why keep it charged, especially if I don't have to do anything, it's all automatic.

Once the battery is 100%, the charger will stop and go into standby mode, there won't be any current going into the car. I can tell that from the lights on my charger. So to me leaving the charging cable plugged in or unplugging it from the car makes no difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1529 posts
915 upvotes
Canada
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:25 pm
Once the battery is 100%, the charger will stop and go into standby mode, there won't be any current going into the car. I can tell that from the lights on my charger. So to me leaving the charging cable plugged in or unplugging it from the car makes no difference.
I'm not talking about any continuous current into the battery after 100% is reached. In general, it's not good for battery cells to sit > 4V for a long period of time. For example, at around 50% capacity, it will be 3.8V per cell. Once you charge to 100% it goes > 4V.
Yes leaving plugged or unplugged at 100% doesn't make a difference, but time spent at full capacity does (to my knowledge) That's why I set it up to start charging later in the night, so that it doesn't sit charged for extra 8 hours for nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1499 posts
529 upvotes
Ontario
We really like the C-Max Energi. We were going to buy it outright but ended up leasing as it was interest free and thought that was a better deal than paying same amount up front. Since this last summer we have noticed some battery degradation which would put us off buying it out at lease end and prompted us to order a FFE. So we were glad we leased. Our buy out after 4yrs for a 2013 is $12k plus tax and the 2018 FFE was $18.5k plus tax and has warranty.

The factors that seem to be contributing to battery degradation on the Energi products are:

- people drive them on battery whenever possible with multiple charges per day when they were really designed to be a "hybrid +" not an electric. Ours has done mostly electric miles and some people hardly ever run the engine
- only air cooling compared with liquid cooling on FFE
- battery is much smaller than FFE with less cells and cells are under much more strain accelerating hard in electric mode or driving at 100km/hr

You can actively manage use of the battery by using " EV later", and the charger by avoiding charging when its very hot, in order to mitigate these effects but this doesn't help if you are not the main driver.

However at the end of the day they can be purchased cheaper than the hybrid with a rebate, and even with a badly degraded battery can still be used as a hybrid but with more weight to carry and slightly smaller trunk. 2018 will be the last model year and I would imaging they will be discounted more heavily next summer.
Last edited by Martin (deal addict) on Oct 25th, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:36 pm
I'm not talking about any continuous current into the battery after 100% is reached. In general, it's not good for battery cells to sit > 4V for a long period of time. For example, at around 50% capacity, it will be 3.8V per cell. Once you charge to 100% it goes > 4V.
Yes leaving plugged or unplugged at 100% doesn't make a difference, but time spent at full capacity does (to my knowledge) That's why I set it up to start charging later in the night, so that it doesn't sit charged for extra 8 hours for nothing.
That's new to me, never heard of it before.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1234 posts
273 upvotes
Woodbridge
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:02 pm
Can you give us a little bit more detail about the fuse? What number is it and what is it for?
Fuse Number: F1
Fuse Rating: 5 Amp
Protected Component: Cellphone passport module.
Mar 2, 2011
166 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
Just heard back from my dealer. New motor's been installed. They just need me to drop by with the second key so that they can program it. Should have the car back today!!

Will have to break in the new motor by going back to Kingston ;-)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
346 upvotes
virulent wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:21 am
Just heard back from my dealer. New motor's been installed. They just need me to drop by with the second key so that they can program it. Should have the car back today!!

Will have to break in the new motor by going back to Kingston ;-)
That's good news. We haven't heard complaint from @UNDFTDss so his car must be running well :)
Mar 2, 2011
166 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:24 am
That's good news. We haven't heard complaint from @UNDFTDss so his car must be running well :)
Good news indeed. It's kinda ridiculous the motor had to be replaced in the first place but I'm just happy it wasn't stuck at the dealer for months on end. The turnaround on getting a new motor (only a few days) for a FFE was the most surprising part. I wasn't actually expecting the car to be ready for tomorrow, so for it to be ready a day early with a brand new motor is really impressive for all of the delays we've all seen.