• Dec 13th, 2017 1:00 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1121 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
danjordan98 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:38 pm
I love our new little FFE. I noticed though that in My View, the kwh meter which goes up and down as you accelerate and deaccelerate often remains at the top even at a constant speed. When I come to a complete stop it also goes right to the top. This indicates that the power consumption is at its highest at these times. So either there is something wrong with the gauge or something wrong with the amount of power being used. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Everything is normal here, the gauge shows Wh/km x100 consumption rate. When you stopped it still uses some power albeit very little but you don't move, hence the gauge is on top (if you divide anything by 0 you get infinity)
It depends on how fast you go at a constant speed to figure out your consumption (i.e. > 110 kmh and gauge will be in the top portion)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
One more thing about the auto dimming rearview mirror: What if you tint your rear window dark, probably don't need the auto dimming?
Sep 25, 2015
544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:10 pm
One more thing about the auto dimming rearview mirror: What if you tint your rear window dark, probably don't need the auto dimming?
+1
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
Apparently, during lunch time it can get pretty crowded.
Free DCFC chargers today at the Toronto Pearson airport.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
Bet you all RFDers taking advantage of free charging :)

Is that a bolt on the far side?
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
FFE, FFE, Leaf, Bolt.

Install Plugshare app, for the most up to date info on chargers.

2 sites at PIA, 5 DCFC chargers at each location, no L2 though.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 7:18 pm
FFE, FFE, Leaf, Bolt.

Install Plugshare app, for the most up to date info on chargers.

2 sites at PIA, 5 DCFC chargers at each location, no L2 though.

5 at each site? That's very nice. Is there any coffee place in walking distance to wait while charging?
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 7:33 pm
5 at each site? That's very nice. Is there any coffee place in walking distance to wait while charging?
Nope. As a matter of fact, you have to remain in your car at all times.
I've seen GTAA security guys few times, driving by, making sure there's someone in the car.
Please read description of these chargers in the Plugshare app.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:11 pm
Nope. As a matter of fact, you have to remain in your car at all times.
I've seen GTAA security guys few times, driving by, making sure there's someone in the car.
Please read description of these chargers in the Plugshare app.
Thanks, I guess will have to get coffee first then do the charging.
Aug 7, 2017
70 posts
31 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:22 pm
Thanks, I guess will have to get coffee first then do the charging.
I always kept a good book in the car, or maybe you have a good data plan? My only problem is that I could hear a hum when I plugged my Leaf in at some L3 chargers which made me a little apprehensive of staying in the car when charging. I borrowed my friends EMF meter and everything looked fine, so I'm a little more comfortable now, but it still creeps me out...
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1121 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
I think they have a very good policy there, 45 min max, shutting off at 80% charge. Should make it easier for those who really need some charge instead of those who just want a free top up.
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
AnDude wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:49 pm
I always kept a good book in the car, or maybe you have a good data plan? My only problem is that I could hear a hum when I plugged my Leaf in at some L3 chargers which made me a little apprehensive of staying in the car when charging. I borrowed my friends EMF meter and everything looked fine, so I'm a little more comfortable now, but it still creeps me out...
LOL. Read up about how PFCs work.
Nowadays they're everywhere, powering every piece of consumer electronics.
I've built my own ebike charger from 4 130 watts laptop chargers, and once you take off their
aluminum shield, they start to make high-pitching noise.
Chargepoint chargers at GTAA make the exactly same noise, just louder.
Chargers at Ikea don't, but they are much bigger units, probably better insulated too.
Nothing to worry about, trust me :)
Last edited by xrvr on Oct 11th, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:13 pm
I think they have a very good policy there, 45 min max, shutting off at 80% charge.
Nope. Charged my car on Saturday to either 96 or 100%.
Depends on which app I was using.