2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 11:59 am
Aug 7, 2017
61 posts
21 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:22 pm
Thanks, I guess will have to get coffee first then do the charging.
I always kept a good book in the car, or maybe you have a good data plan? My only problem is that I could hear a hum when I plugged my Leaf in at some L3 chargers which made me a little apprehensive of staying in the car when charging. I borrowed my friends EMF meter and everything looked fine, so I'm a little more comfortable now, but it still creeps me out...
Aug 3, 2008
962 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
I think they have a very good policy there, 45 min max, shutting off at 80% charge. Should make it easier for those who really need some charge instead of those who just want a free top up.
Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
AnDude wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:49 pm
I always kept a good book in the car, or maybe you have a good data plan? My only problem is that I could hear a hum when I plugged my Leaf in at some L3 chargers which made me a little apprehensive of staying in the car when charging. I borrowed my friends EMF meter and everything looked fine, so I'm a little more comfortable now, but it still creeps me out...
LOL. Read up about how PFCs work.
Nowadays they're everywhere, powering every piece of consumer electronics.
I've built my own ebike charger from 4 130 watts laptop chargers, and once you take off their
aluminum shield, they start to make high-pitching noise.
Chargepoint chargers at GTAA make the exactly same noise, just louder.
Chargers at Ikea don't, but they are much bigger units, probably better insulated too.
Nothing to worry about, trust me :)
Last edited by xrvr on Oct 11th, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:13 pm
I think they have a very good policy there, 45 min max, shutting off at 80% charge.
Nope. Charged my car on Saturday to either 96 or 100%.
Depends on which app I was using.
Aug 3, 2008
962 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:21 pm
Nope. Charged my car on Saturday to either 96 or 100%.
Depends on which app I was using.
Ok, then description on plug share must be wrong
Are you using chargepoint app or else to start charging?
Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:35 pm
Ok, then description on plug share must be wrong
Are you using chargepoint app or else to start charging?
App. I've ordered card ages ago, and it's still "in transit"
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3363 posts
330 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:21 pm
Do you have to use the chargepoint app at those 2 locations? I tried to sign up but it asked me to put in $10 with my credit card first. Really don't like have to install all kinds of apps for all different charging stations.
Aug 3, 2008
962 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:21 pm
I actually registered first through the app and didn't get a card.
Then there was a promo in September when they were giving away $10 USD on new sign up, so I registered again through web and got a card in maybe a week.
Oct 1, 2010
21 posts
seafish wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:00 pm
Everything is normal here, the gauge shows Wh/km x100 consumption rate. When you stopped it still uses some power albeit very little but you don't move, hence the gauge is on top (if you divide anything by 0 you get infinity)
It depends on how fast you go at a constant speed to figure out your consumption (i.e. > 110 kmh and gauge will be in the top portion)
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
Mar 2, 2011
114 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:52 pm
Do you have to use the chargepoint app at those 2 locations? I tried to sign up but it asked me to put in $10 with my credit card first. Really don't like have to install all kinds of apps for all different charging stations.
I signed up for ChargePoint (and other networks) last night and CP wanted CC but said it will only reload $10 the FIRST time you use a charger that costs money. Waiting for free card too. Other networks I could wait before I add card. CP didn't charge me

I installed other apps I'll need (Circuit Électrique, myEVroute, Flo, CP). None wanted money up front, just when I actually use paid charger or key fob (myEVroute wants $$$ for fob, I'll just use app)

I'm going to need to use 3-4 networks to get home to Ottawa from Toronto on Monday with the car so I can report back if anyone wants :) with cost, route, pics I actually end up using not just my current plan
Aug 7, 2017
61 posts
21 upvotes
virulent wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:16 am
I signed up for ChargePoint (and other networks) last night and CP wanted CC but said it will only reload $10 the FIRST time you use a charger that costs money. Waiting for free card too. Other networks I could wait before I add card. CP didn't charge me

I installed other apps I'll need (Circuit Électrique, myEVroute, Flo, CP). None wanted money up front, just when I actually use paid charger or key fob (myEVroute wants $$$ for fob, I'll just use app)

I'm going to need to use 3-4 networks to get home to Ottawa from Toronto on Monday with the car so I can report back if anyone wants :) with cost, route, pics I actually end up using not just my current plan
3 - 4 DC quick charges seems like a lot for one day. I remember the Nissan Leaf manual recommending only one DC quick charge per day. That being said, there are quite a few differences between the Leaf manual and the FFE manual; however, the FFE manual does say this about DC charging:

"Repeated use of this charging method
could have a long term effect on the
battery"

I guess this trip will be a one-off, so you should be fine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sep 7, 2008
130 posts
18 upvotes
For those of you who ordered their chargers from autochargers.ca, how long did it take to arrive in GTA area?

My order has been in "Accepted" status since last Friday.

I thought I would see it changed to shipped or some tracking would be provided, but nothing so far.
Aug 3, 2008
962 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
navdeepnippy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:02 am
For those of you who ordered their chargers from autochargers.ca, how long did it take to arrive in GTA area?

I thought I would see it changed to shipped or some tracking would be provided, but nothing so far.
Did you ask for installation quote? Check your profile. Perhaps that's what holding your order?
Might want to ask about autochargers shipping in this thread
Apr 27, 2004
969 posts
105 upvotes
Milton
navdeepnippy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:02 am

Ordered mine over the long weekend and it arrived yesterday.
Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
AnDude wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:42 am
3 - 4 DC quick charges seems like a lot for one day. I remember the Nissan Leaf manual recommending only one DC quick charge per day. That being said, there are quite a few differences between the Leaf manual and the FFE manual; however, the FFE manual does say this about DC charging:

"Repeated use of this charging method
could have a long term effect on the
battery"

I guess this trip will be a one-off, so you should be fine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Leafs don't have cooled battery, and battery can get quite warm during fast charging.
That's why they don't recommend it.
I've done almost 10,000 km on my FFE, mostly using DCFC for charging, and my battery capacity still says 100%.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 1 guest)

Poormanfletch, neptune, seafish, navdeepnippy, Ivanottawa, mohitk