• Oct 20th, 2017 11:59 am
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1344 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
xrvr wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:07 am
Leafs don't have cooled battery, and battery can get quite warm during fast charging.
That's why they don't recommend it.
I've done almost 10,000 km on my FFE, mostly using DCFC for charging, and my battery capacity still says 100%.
fast charging will hurt your batteries even if the batteries are liquid-cooled. it might not matter if you are leasing.
Mar 2, 2011
114 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
aximrocks wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:45 am
fast charging will hurt your batteries even if the batteries are liquid-cooled. it might not matter if you are leasing.
I'm in the lease camp. If after 3 years battery is still in good condition with lots of DCFC charging (which I plan on doing for trips) then I'll be heavily considering keeping the car - so cheap!

Unless there'll be another $20k OTR deal in 3 years or cheap leases, it might be a hard sell to not keep it especially if the $14k ON rebate doesn't stick around.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3434 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough
Does anyone know if Electric vehicles should be rust proofed? With all the wires and electronics even below the vehicle, plus a large shield covering most of the underbody, just wondering if people typically get theirs rustproofed.

Also, does anyone know if getting Krown rustproofing on a lease vehicle is any issue? Was thinking of having my Focus Electric Krown'd as I've typically had good experiences with Krown on my Si, but they do some hole drilling, so just want to make sure this was safe if I return the car after the 3 years.
Contests entered: Too Many...
Contests won: 3
Biggest Win:
-Xbox 360 From Pepsi - Oct. 21, 2006 (7:00PM-7:59PM CST Draw :D )
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE HoFo FEEDBACK
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE Heatware FEEDBACK
*NEW*CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE RFD FEEDBACK
Sep 25, 2015
432 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bigasif wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:06 pm
Does anyone know if Electric vehicles should be rust proofed? With all the wires and electronics even below the vehicle, plus a large shield covering most of the underbody, just wondering if people typically get theirs rustproofed.

Also, does anyone know if getting Krown rustproofing on a lease vehicle is any issue? Was thinking of having my Focus Electric Krown'd as I've typically had good experiences with Krown on my Si, but they do some hole drilling, so just want to make sure this was safe if I return the car after the 3 years.
I had rust proofing done on my FFE at krown. No issues.

Probably not necessary if you're leasing. Even if you decide to buy later on you can still do rust proofing
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3363 posts
330 upvotes
I've got this annoying noise from steering wheel almost every time I make a turn, doesn't matter left or right turn, not sure how to describe it, it's kind of like the plastic popping noise. Any of you guys have this noise with your car?
Sep 25, 2015
432 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UNDFTDss wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:04 pm
Thanks for asking. I got my car back on Fri Sept 22, they told me they couldn't recreate the issue, they drove it around 130km, hooked it up to the computer, no "issues". They told me and I quote, “As far as [Service] can tell its safe – they didn’t find any issues with road testing either". I drove the car a bit on 22 and 23 and it stalled on me twice after 108 km. This time I was on the highway, luckily, there was traffic. I managed to get off the highway and called Roadside Assistance immediately. The dealership has had the car ever since (it has been 11 days now). Ford Canada is aware of this issue and is working with the dealership to find a fix. The dealership is now waiting for the Ford engineer to advise. EDIT: Dash cam footage from Sept 23 -
Any news?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3434 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:26 pm
I had rust proofing done on my FFE at krown. No issues.

Probably not necessary if you're leasing. Even if you decide to buy later on you can still do rust proofing
Thanks. Yeah, I just want to get it done in case I buy it back at the end of the lease. I'm loving the car more every time I drive it and think it'll be tough to let go of - especially with the gas savings - it's unbelievable. I've driven my Civic Si just a handful of times since picking this up, even though my plan was to use it strictly as a commuter car. I think I'll give the dealership a call to see if there would be any issues at lease-end if I return the car with Krown drilled holes.
Contests entered: Too Many...
Contests won: 3
Biggest Win:
-Xbox 360 From Pepsi - Oct. 21, 2006 (7:00PM-7:59PM CST Draw :D )
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE HoFo FEEDBACK
CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE Heatware FEEDBACK
*NEW*CHECK OUT MY 100% POSITIVE RFD FEEDBACK
Sep 7, 2008
130 posts
18 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:41 am
Did you ask for installation quote? Check your profile. Perhaps that's what holding your order?
Might want to ask about autochargers shipping in this thread
That was the issue. I have cancelled the installation quote and asked them to ship it out today.
Sep 7, 2008
130 posts
18 upvotes
neptune wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:03 am
Ordered mine over the long weekend and it arrived yesterday.
Did they provide you any tracking info?
Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
aximrocks wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:45 am
I wouldn't be so sure.

Red is the speed of 2017 FFE, green is the battery amps data from ECU.
As you can see, it pulls peak of 350 A from the battery during acceleration,
and during regenerative braking recharges battery at the rate of 150 A.
And if you live in the mountains, some of these regen times can be quite long.
Meanwhile DCFC charges battery at 125 A.

Sep 30, 2007
317 posts
132 upvotes
Also, Tesloop has one car with 320,000 km on it, and its battery degraded only 6%
They were charging it only on Superchargers in 2 years, running shuttle service to Las Vegas.
Also, there's a taxi driver in Finland, battery in his Model S degraded only 7%, it has 400,000 km on it.
I realize FFE is 1/4 cost of the Tesla, but this data still gives me great hope :)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2275 posts
756 upvotes
Ottawa
Had my first close call on range today (totally my fault though).

So I work 45km from home, 90% highway driving. Normally do 120-130, never pay attention to heating/cooling. Went to and from work, stopped at a couple of places, went home.

Woke up this morning, open the garage.... ****. Didn't plug in the car. So I get in the car, start it - and have 45km of range. Keep in mind, work is 45km away. Debated just working from home, but I'm young at heart so I said **** it and drove to work.

Turned off the heating, drove like a granny (aka the speed limit). Made it to work with 8km of range. Not bad at all.
Aug 3, 2008
962 posts
649 upvotes
Ottawa
Konowl wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 3:35 pm
Had my first close call on range today (totally my fault though).

So I work 45km from home, 90% highway driving. Normally do 120-130, never pay attention to heating/cooling. Went to and from work, stopped at a couple of places, went home.

Woke up this morning, open the garage.... ****. Didn't plug in the car. So I get in the car, start it - and have 45km of range. Keep in mind, work is 45km away. Debated just working from home, but I'm young at heart so I said **** it and drove to work.

Turned off the heating, drove like a granny (aka the speed limit). Made it to work with 8km of range. Not bad at all.
No L3 chargers on your way? Ikea and VW St Laurent are conveniently located on 417 and free. Might spend 10 minutes there to be safe in such situations
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5538 posts
724 upvotes
Mississauga
LoveRFD wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:33 pm
I've got this annoying noise from steering wheel almost every time I make a turn, doesn't matter left or right turn, not sure how to describe it, it's kind of like the plastic popping noise. Any of you guys have this noise with your car?
Check the plastic inner fender on both sides and see if rubbing.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 0 guests)

Poormanfletch, neptune, seafish, navdeepnippy, Ivanottawa, mohitk