• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 8:13 pm
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
348 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 1:27 pm
I know this has come up before but I didn’t realize how bad the tires are.

When it’s raining the car doesn’t grip, I’m always sliding.

Anyone else have the same experience?
Yes, you need to go easy on wet road when start from a complete stop otherwise the front tires will spin.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11019 posts
1526 upvotes
RFD
Can anyone tell if my breaker box panel is 100A or suitable for a Level 2 EVSE install? I don't think there should be any issues, but I'm not sure how many Amp panel it is. House is about 12 years old.
IMG_20171029_201910739.jpg
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11019 posts
1526 upvotes
RFD
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:10 pm
Do you see the main breaker? What numbers are written on the toggle switch?
Oh never noticed that. Both upper and lower toggle switch say 100, so does that mean its a 200A panel?
Aug 25, 2005
753 posts
44 upvotes
Musiq Soulchild wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 2:50 pm
Thanks I just ordered the juicebox pro 40 from there. Should have ordered earlier when it was on sale but hesitated :(

Now i have to find an electrician...
I hesitated as well when it was 10% off because I hadn't taken delivery yet on the vehicle.

But after government rebates, it isn't too big a difference.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3888 posts
305 upvotes
Londonbrewer wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 6:07 pm
For the most part just had a quick look on some YouTube videos.

Used 3 cans of plasti dip spraybombs that I had bought a while ago on sale.

Used some Scotch Brite pads to clean any major oxidation, then washed with dishsoap to clean then and remove any waxes or anything on the rims.

Dried them and used masking tape around tires and wrapped the valvestem

Many light coats with time between to dry. Actually went down pretty easily. By the time I got to the fourth rim it was only another 10mins to start on the next one. Leaving them for a couple days to dry fully.

Will see how it stands up over the winter.
Looks great! Another tip is to get a pack of playing cards and fan those between the tire and rim, may be a little easier than tape...
Apr 11, 2017
112 posts
53 upvotes
London, ON
joshmxpx wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:05 am
Looks great! Another tip is to get a pack of playing cards and fan those between the tire and rim, may be a little easier than tape...
Did see someone use index cards, couldn't find any. Playing cards are a great idea. Tape wasn't too bad, just took longer and was pretty finicky. Playing cards would have been much faster and probably better. Good tip!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1669 posts
265 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 1:27 pm
I know this has come up before but I didn’t realize how bad the tires are.

When it’s raining the car doesn’t grip, I’m always sliding.

Anyone else have the same experience?
Yes, this happened to me yesterday too. You have to accelerate very slowly otherwise it'll spin. Not the greatest tires...
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1669 posts
265 upvotes
I also bought used 16" alloys off Kijiji for $60/set. A little dirty, so I cleaned it with rim cleaner, sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper and use duplicolor engine paint. This is more permanent than plasti dip but it was much faster, 10 mins between coats, dries within the hour. I used 1 can for all 4 wheels, more than enough. Did 4-5 coats each. Only costed $12.99 + tax. This set will be for my winters.

Aug 21, 2016
17 posts
1 upvote
Selkirk
So what size tires and rims will actually fit as winter tires. As mentioned before I'm being told by ford they should be aluminum.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1804 posts
727 upvotes
Ontario
UNDFTDss wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:45 am
Yes, this happened to me yesterday too. You have to accelerate very slowly otherwise it'll spin. Not the greatest tires...
More than the tires its probably due to lack of weight on the front. No engine and no batteries up front. So changing tire type may not improve things much except that winter tires are a must on the FFE. Added to this is the instant torque which makes the wheels spin readily even on our C-Max Energi that has a 2.0L ICE over the front wheels.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Apr 11, 2017
112 posts
53 upvotes
London, ON
UNDFTDss wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:49 am
I also bought used 16" alloys off Kijiji for $60/set. A little dirty, so I cleaned it with rim cleaner, sanded it with 320 grit sandpaper and use duplicolor engine paint. This is more permanent than plasti dip but it was much faster, 10 mins between coats, dries within the hour. I used 1 can for all 4 wheels, more than enough. Did 4-5 coats each. Only costed $12.99 + tax. This set will be for my winters.
Looks great! Really makes a huge difference!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
348 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:22 am
More than the tires its probably due to lack of weight on the front. No engine and no batteries up front. So changing tire type may not improve things much except that winter tires are a must on the FFE. Added to this is the instant torque which makes the wheels spin readily even on our C-Max Energi that has a 2.0L ICE over the front wheels.
If that's the case then pretty much all EVs will have the same issue? I haven't noticed Leaf or Tesla owners complaining about this.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
348 upvotes
UNDFTDss wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 8:49 am

$60 for a set? That's a steal, I thought the $150 set I paid was a good price......