The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
neptune wrote: Good point. Thats the nice thing about swapping wheels myself twice a year - I can do a visual inspection.
In my experience its better and easier to keep carriage pins well lubed to prevent corrosion and binding than to address a seizing problem after the fact.
Mar 3, 2004
356 posts
100 upvotes
Brampton
I'm at 52k also and still on the original Michelin's, there's still lots of life left. I do have winter tires, so I've done about 35k on the Michelin's. As far as maintenance I've done the cabin filter and an unscheduled stop at the dealer to replace the left rear lower control arm as the bushing was damaged causing some noise whenever completing a turn or going over rough surfaces. I was going to flush the brake fluid this summer but the brake fluid color looked like it did on day 1 so I'll just keep an eye on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1764 posts
1015 upvotes
I am at 37k or so, I did a brake service at 32k

I love the car, two things would have made it outstanding, rear wheel drive - the front end slips too much, and a better turning radius - it is basically like turning a crew cab truck.
Cool Beans
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
If anyone ever wondered how easy it is to remove the upper and lower high voltage batteries themselves here are the instructions (2017 / 18 similar). Also listed are organisations that will recycle the batteries.

https://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/upl ... _Final.pdf

Doesn't seem like that big a job to do in the future when hopefully battery prices will have come down in real terms.

Not saying I expect owners to be replacing the battery before car is old.

Also interesting from a viewpoint of transplanting into a classic car.
Aug 19, 2008
297 posts
159 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: If anyone ever wondered how easy it is to remove the upper and lower high voltage batteries themselves here are the instructions (2017 / 18 similar). Also listed are organisations that will recycle the batteries.

https://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/upl ... _Final.pdf

Doesn't seem like that big a job to do in the future when hopefully battery prices will have come down in real terms.

Not saying I expect owners to be replacing the battery before car is old.

Also interesting from a viewpoint of transplanting into a classic car.
Recycling lithium out of batteries is still an issue isn’t it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
QTheNukes wrote: I am at 37k or so, I did a brake service at 32k

I love the car, two things would have made it outstanding, rear wheel drive - the front end slips too much, and a better turning radius - it is basically like turning a crew cab truck.
Yeah the turning radius makes me lol sometimes. It's that bad.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
Konowl wrote: Yeah the turning radius makes me lol sometimes. It's that bad.
The turning circle is inherited directly from the ICE focus. When designing front wheel drive suspension its a trade -off between handling and turning circle apparently. Its not a BEV criticism - Bespoke BEVs should have no compromises as batteries and other components are geometry flexible whereas a tranverse 2.0L power unit is not.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Martin (deal addict) wrote: The turning circle is inherited directly from the ICE focus. When designing front wheel drive suspension its a trade -off between handling and turning circle apparently. Its not a BEV criticism - Bespoke BEVs should have no compromises as batteries and other components are geometry flexible whereas a tranverse 2.0L power unit is not.
Makes sense. Didn't think it was inherent to the BEV version, as the FFE is basically an electrified Titanium
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2014
1924 posts
2397 upvotes
Toronto, ON
<off topic>
Interesting feedback on the turning circle and lack of traction under hard acceleration.

As an owner of a previous ICE Focus, these traits wore on me over 10 years of ownership, it was not satisfying to "hustle" the car, so it ended up being a commute appliance and joyless last 5 or so years waiting for electrified offerings.

I traded for my 2013 Smart ED, which was a nice "toe dip" into the world of EV's, with it's rear wheel drive and direct steering, a fun little go cart. I know it's off topic for this thread, but I just wanted to relay that rear wheel drive EV's are fun, no more so that our Tesla, hoping that rear wheel drive (or AWD) continues to be made available in EV's, it's a lot of fun to drive instant torque with rear wheel traction.</>
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
233 posts
34 upvotes
i want to buy out my leased ffe and sell it right after, do i have problem in rebate?
lease car rebate obligation is three year lease term, but when i will buy it out, do i need to keep it for three years?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
politikolcorrect wrote: i want to buy out my leased ffe and sell it right after, do i have problem in rebate?
lease car rebate obligation is three year lease term, but when i will buy it out, do i need to keep it for three years?
Assume Ontario - I had this issue and contacted MTO and they confirmed I had to keep it until the end of the lease or pay it ALL back and my lease was 4 years. I would contact them and say that now the program is no longer in force can you sell the vehicle without paying back the rebate. I am not sure they would come after it but it may be linked to the vehicle registration and get flagged up by the system when you sell to someone else.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1918 posts
2941 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Assume Ontario - I had this issue and contacted MTO and they confirmed I had to keep it until the end of the lease or pay it ALL back and my lease was 4 years. I would contact them and say that now the program is no longer in force can you sell the vehicle without paying back the rebate. I am not sure they would come after it but it may be linked to the vehicle registration and get flagged up by the system when you sell to someone else.
I think they changed the rules at some point, as initially the forms said you need to keep the vehicle for the duration of the lease, but on the latest version of the form (that is still on the MTO site), it says you only need to keep it for 12 months:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... =023-2096E
The term of your lease must be at least 36 months or longer to receive an incentive.
• You must:
• Maintain the lease for at least 12 months (365 days) from the registration and plating date;
• Keep the vehicle from the date the vehicle was registered and plated under your name, insured and road
worthy in Ontario for at least 12 months (365 days); and,
• If you receive an incentive when not eligible for it, the Province of Ontario may recover the amount of the
incentive from you. Any incentive payment received for a vehicle that is not eligible is a debt due to the
Crown. The debt must be repaid, and the money received by the Province of Ontario, before you can
re-apply to the Program.
That being said, if the form you signed said you need to keep the vehicle for the duration of your lease, you will be bound by those terms. Would the government come after you for the $14K back? I doubt they are organized enough to do that, but that's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
TheTall wrote: I think they changed the rules at some point, as initially the forms said you need to keep the vehicle for the duration of the lease, but on the latest version of the form (that is still on the MTO site), it says you only need to keep it for 12 months:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/ ... =023-2096E

That being said, if the form you signed said you need to keep the vehicle for the duration of your lease, you will be bound by those terms. Would the government come after you for the $14K back? I doubt they are organized enough to do that, but that's not a risk I'd be willing to take.
I used that argument to them - that "now its only 12 months for everyone" and they said no I had to keep it for the lease term. However scheme was still running at that point. Agree it depends on paperwork signed and if signed after change of terms it should be OK to sell ad keep rebate after 12 months.
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
233 posts
34 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I used that argument to them - that "now its only 12 months for everyone" and they said no I had to keep it for the lease term. However scheme was still running at that point. Agree it depends on paperwork signed and if signed after change of terms it should be OK to sell ad keep rebate after 12 months.
so if i buy out my leased car now, will the 12month period count from today or from the day i lease it? and will my buyout trigger a question that my lease obligation is not fulfilled.

if i wait another year to let the car lease come to end and buy it? i will lose my used ev rebate from the training and education course., that must be done in one year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
politikolcorrect wrote: so if i buy out my leased car now, will the 12month period count from today or from the day i lease it? and will my buyout trigger a question that my lease obligation is not fulfilled.

if i wait another year to let the car lease come to end and buy it? i will lose my used ev rebate from the training and education course., that must be done in one year.
- If you have an agreement that ties you into 3 years then you will have to ask if they will waive your obligation
- If you have the later agreement that is 1 yr for all leases then you only have to wait 1 year from registering (already passed).
- If you buy it out I don't think that cancels the agreement to keep it 3 years but you could ask MTO. If it does then you are free to sell it and keep rebate.
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
233 posts
34 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: - If you have an agreement that ties you into 3 years then you will have to ask if they will waive your obligation
- If you have the later agreement that is 1 yr for all leases then you only have to wait 1 year from registering (already passed).
- If you buy it out I don't think that cancels the agreement to keep it 3 years but you could ask MTO. If it does then you are free to sell it and keep rebate.
i called evip program, there is no staff answering call only voicemail. i email to evip@ontario.ca
hopefully either one will get me something, will post.
Aug 1, 2007
131 posts
69 upvotes
Montreal
Agree, when driving inderground parking lots, if I have a car behind me, I'm worried if I'll fit and don't have to back up. For U-turn, yesterday was about to make one, and realized in the middle of it that I'm in FFe and not in the Elantra, and had to go straight. For me it would be a perfect car if it had a little more leg room. I'm tall, and it is really painful l to squeeze in with kids in car seats in the back. If it was Elantra size, it would've been just right
May 12, 2012
696 posts
804 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
adichek wrote: Agree, when driving inderground parking lots, if I have a car behind me, I'm worried if I'll fit and don't have to back up. For U-turn, yesterday was about to make one, and realized in the middle of it that I'm in FFe and not in the Elantra, and had to go straight. For me it would be a perfect car if it had a little more leg room. I'm tall, and it is really painful l to squeeze in with kids in car seats in the back. If it was Elantra size, it would've been just right
Well, yes. However, the Elantra would fall under a different class of vehicle being a mid-size sedan vesus the compact/hatch category of the focus. I'm not the tallest, sitting at 182cm, but I usually have the wheel in the highest position to avoid me adjusting it each time I have rear passengers. I do wish the turning radius was better, and maybe with some adjustments to the suspension and wheel alignment (post lease), it may be possible to bring it in a little without any rubbing/damage.
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
233 posts
34 upvotes
so evip get back to me, it is 12month to keep the car regardless lease or purchase. so i am off hook now, hilarious!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
politikolcorrect wrote: so evip get back to me, it is 12month to keep the car regardless lease or purchase. so i am off hook now, hilarious!!
I would ask for a confirmation email quoting your specific rebate reference number.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)