• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 10:40 pm
Apr 11, 2017
51 posts
27 upvotes
London, ON
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:55 pm
Thanks! I just installed my dash cam today. It was super easy with your info. Took about 20 minutes.

I also had these parts:

12v Fuse Connector Wire https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015SGCPOO

Fuse TAP with 5AMP Fuse https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0741468RY

Premium Plastic Auto Trim Removal Tool https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01E4U9WSC
Awesome! Glad the info helped out, it's really not that tough, and so much nicer that it's all automatic and wires hidden.
Aug 7, 2017
70 posts
31 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:14 pm
Thanks, you should really post in some Turo dedicated thread or create a new one so that more people can see it.
Thanks for the advise - I will Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 25, 2015
502 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Londonbrewer wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:16 pm
Awesome! Glad the info helped out, it's really not that tough, and so much nicer that it's all automatic and wires hidden.
Here is a picture of the wire I had to crimp for the fuse tap in case anyone else is interested.
Images
  • IMG_20171103_132835.jpg
Sep 25, 2015
502 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cool trick. Hold down eject and seek buttons on the entertainment unit in the car for 10 s to unlock a 'secret' menu that let's you change the display theme in the car.

I was actually trying to change the background with an image on my USB key but Im not sure if it's possible.

It's not persistent. I found this YouTube video with tips to make it persistent using FORScan software:
Images
  • IMG_20171104_104920.jpg
  • IMG_20171104_104926.jpg
Apr 11, 2017
51 posts
27 upvotes
London, ON
Broke down and put snow tires on today. The Plasti dipped rims look good, there was some decent oxidation on most of the rims, but all in all happy with the look and the price. Best of all the TPMS sensors work and synced up, no light on the dash. Snow tires are obviously a little louder than the stock tires.

Also just coming up on one month in the car. Really enjoying it so far, performance is decent and it's quite responsive in town.

Here's my rough cost breakdown.

1500km driven, charger has used 259kwhr off peak cost is about .13 taxes/delivery/etc in. So about $35 in electricity.

Old car was a 2005 Acura TL, city mileage was about 11l/100km so 165l of premium fuel at avg $1.35 lately so $225 in gas.

Saving about $190, very happy with that! It's almost free, granted my old car wasn't overly fuel efficient but it's a fair comparison for my situation. Take into account depreciation on the old car, inevitable repairs (had over 200k on it) and it's a pretty sweet deal to be in a new car for next to nothing.

Totally understand that they are not directly comparable vehicles but the focus works for my needs. And my wife has a SUV for longer trips. Side benefit, were driving her car less which adds to the savings too.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3788 posts
246 upvotes
Londonbrewer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:00 pm
Broke down and put snow tires on today. The Plasti dipped rims look good, there was some decent oxidation on most of the rims, but all in all happy with the look and the price. Best of all the TPMS sensors work and synced up, no light on the dash. Snow tires are obviously a little louder than the stock tires.

Also just coming up on one month in the car. Really enjoying it so far, performance is decent and it's quite responsive in town.

1500km driven, charger has used 259kwhr off peak cost is about .13 taxes/delivery/etc in. So about $35 in electricity.

Old car was a 2005 Acura TL, city mileage was about 11l/100km so 165l of premium fuel at avg $1.35 lately so $225 in gas.

Saving about $190, very happy with that! It's almost free, granted my old car wasn't overly fuel efficient but it's a fair comparison for my situation. Take into account depreciation on the old car, inevitable repairs (had over 200k on it) and it's a pretty sweet deal to be in a new car for next to nothing.

Totally understand that they are not directly comparable vehicles but the focus works for my needs. And my wife has a SUV for longer trips. Side benefit, were driving her car less which adds to the savings too.
Rims look really good, better than stock IMO
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
1630 posts
252 upvotes
Londonbrewer wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 1:00 pm

Your wheels are amazing! I got my winter tires installed today too. Had to touch up with a little more engine paint and tire shine. Not bad. Cost me about $420 altogether for 16" wheels and Yokohama tires from Kijiji, tire service and paint supplies. Thing is, I didn't get TPMS sensors for these but the TPMS light is NOT on... How? Why?
Images
  • IMG_20171104_162146.jpg
  • IMG_20171104_162159.jpg
Apr 11, 2017
51 posts
27 upvotes
London, ON
UNDFTDss wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:37 pm
Your wheels are amazing! I got my winter tires installed today too. Had to touch up with a little more engine paint and tire shine. Not bad. Cost me about $420 altogether for 16" wheels and Yokohama tires from Kijiji, tire service and paint supplies. Thing is, I didn't get TPMS sensors for these but the TPMS light is NOT on... How? Why?
Looks fantastic! Love the magnetic paint, was a tough decision on the Kona vs magnetic.

Rims look great. The guy I bought the rims from said they had TPMS (they came off a recent RS) but no real way to know for sure till you mount them. I didn't have a light on at all with them, and drove about 45 min with them on so I'm hoping I'm okay.

I have a couple places I should touch up on my rims too. But all in all a good days work (also mounted the wife's snow tires too).
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1065 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
Try to let the air out and check if light comes on for TPMS, then you'll know if sensors actually work.
Oct 26, 2005
73 posts
7 upvotes
UNDFTDss wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 9:37 pm
My tpms warning light didnt come on until after about a week after mounting the snows...not sure why
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1065 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
virulent wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 1:55 pm
I got my FFE back today! Everything is all set, there was just programming stuff with the new motor they had to resolve.

Car is finally home, will see how it is more later on and hopefully push it a few hundred km this weekend :P

focusev.jpg
Out of curiosity, was that you today at Ikea charging around 4 pm? My wife was there and called to make sure she doing everything right there and mentioned there another FFE of blue color. She could not figure hoe to make L3 work, as charger was giving her an error after all the preparation steps and second after it starts charging. The other charger seemed like working fine with another FFE plugged in.
Mar 2, 2011
126 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
seafish wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:39 pm
Out of curiosity, was that you today at Ikea charging around 4 pm? My wife was there and called to make sure she doing everything right there and mentioned there another FFE of blue color. She could not figure hoe to make L3 work, as charger was giving her an error after all the preparation steps and second after it starts charging. The other charger seemed like working fine with another FFE plugged in.
Nope, wasn't me. I've seen another kona blue FFE here in Ottawa too. If it's the same guy, I think he goes there pretty often..

The IKEA L3 chargers here are finicky. You might need to try it a couple times before it works.

I went to Montreal yesterday as a day trip kind of thing, no issues! Charged halfway (kinda) at Rigaud Tourist Centre, went via Hwy 17 and it's great. Racked up almost 1000 km since getting the car back last week.
Apr 11, 2017
51 posts
27 upvotes
London, ON
Just realized that MFM didn't need a reset last night, it worked this morning. I pulled fuse the in the trunk fusebox (1 I believe, bottom right corner in the picture) and I'm hoping it just needed a reset.

Fingers crossed. Anyone else have any luck?
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by Londonbrewer on Nov 6th, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added picture
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1009 posts
116 upvotes
Milton
Londonbrewer wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:43 am
Just realized that MFM didn't need a reset last night, it worked this morning. I pulled fuse the in the trunk fusebox (1 I believe, bottom right corner in the picture) and I'm hoping it just needed a reset.

Fingers crossed. Anyone else have any luck?
Did you take out the fuse and put it back in right away? Or did do something else after removing fuse?
My car disappears regularly from MFM.
Jan 2, 2007
932 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone using child booster seats in the back? The belt buckle is recessed into the seat and I have had issues with a clec (NO way to use LATCH and belt successfully) and diono backless booster. Which ones are you using and are kids able to belt by themselves?