Automotive

2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 10:43 am
Mar 4, 2014
89 posts
11 upvotes
That's right, my guess a meter starts at over 220km each morning even during the cold snap, I've seen as high as 250km when warmer on all season tires.

I do use heat sparingly though.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1518 posts
910 upvotes
Canada
Elec2016 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 12:28 pm
That means 190kms without the heat on. Quite impressive considering how cold it was last week. I thought the battery will lose some power in cold winter but it seems not much.
Well, his range in warmer temp is 230, so he lost about 20%.
I wonder why would he not use the heater if he's coming home with 40% battery left.
Out of curiosity, @paksau what's your car name in MFM?
I really don't bother saving extra electrons out of just saving. Just keeping myself comfortable :)
Lol, just looked at my Zen Master stats for last 30 days:
El Focus #167 258 Wh/km
And I don't drive like crazy, just use heater on 20C all the time. My summer consumption was in 160s Wh/km
In My Driving tab though my rate in Nov was 201 Wh/km and Dec is 217 Wh/km. Not sure where 258 Wh/km is coming from.

This is impressive:
@wrcfocus #5 157 Wh/km
Mar 4, 2014
89 posts
11 upvotes
I do use heat sometimes, but I find by dressing warmly with the seat heaters and hand warmer I'm comfy enough most times.

Maybe I'm cheap is all, but you never can tell when stuck in traffic so I try to be conservative with energy most times. Traffic was hell this past week so I did use more energy stuck in traffic with defrosters on more than I would like, my Wh/km suffered. This morning got 151 Wh/km.

FFE888
Mar 3, 2004
298 posts
25 upvotes
Brampton
I've changed my place of work so I've been putting on roughly 115 km's daily to/from work and I pre-condition the car the car in the mornings before my 55km drive in the morning. When I get in the car in the morning it shows anywhere from 210-225 kms, which isn't bad at all considering the colder temperatures and I'm running on winter tires. I turn the heat on and off sparingly (set to 20C) as I wear gloves when I drive so my hands don't get too cold. In the summer the meter would show 260-280 km's on a full charge. I've never driven it that far as I try to recharge the battery when it drops to 40-50% SOC.

@seafish. I find that the MFM is not as accurate as currently I'm averaging 130wh/kms lifetime on the gauge cluster, this is with about 5700km's on the clock. How many km's have you driven?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1518 posts
910 upvotes
Canada
wrcfocus wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 7:41 pm
@seafish. I find that the MFM is not as accurate as currently I'm averaging 130wh/kms lifetime on the gauge cluster, this is with about 5700km's on the clock. How many km's have you driven?
I've done more then 11k already. The MFM rankings are for past 30 days. So 157 Wh/km in cold condition that we had is very impressive.
Oct 23, 2013
139 posts
68 upvotes
That's amazing that you guys are getting that kind of range in cold weather. I drive strictly on 80km/h roads with only a few lights, the heater set to 18C (and generally only turned on if it gets foggy) and I'm lucky if I would get 140km of range. Usually after my 60km commute it's unlikely I'll have more than 55-60% remaining. Most of the time I'm home with 50% or sometimes even less. Most of my trips average between 200-260wh/km this winter according to MFM. I wouldn't trust my car on a 115km commute during the winter. Mind you, I'm north of the GTA and don't park it in a garage. Maybe that affects it?
May 20, 2017
144 posts
34 upvotes
ON
Nyaxite wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 10:31 pm
That's amazing that you guys are getting that kind of range in cold weather. I drive strictly on 80km/h roads with only a few lights, the heater set to 18C (and generally only turned on if it gets foggy) and I'm lucky if I would get 140km of range. Usually after my 60km commute it's unlikely I'll have more than 55-60% remaining. Most of the time I'm home with 50% or sometimes even less. Most of my trips average between 200-260wh/km this winter according to MFM. I wouldn't trust my car on a 115km commute during the winter. Mind you, I'm north of the GTA and don't park it in a garage. Maybe that affects it?
If you want to get that type of range:
1. turn off the heater
2. drive in L gear
3. preheat the car plugged in
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1518 posts
910 upvotes
Canada
Elec2016 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:14 pm
1. turn off the heater
2. drive in L gear
It always puzzles me how driving on L will help with the range? Sometimes my shifter slips to L unintentionally and I find the car is slowing down too much everytime I let go the gas pedal. If I did drive on L all the time then there would be a lot of unnecessary accelerations after slow downs. I do shift to L periodically when I see a red light coming or a steep hill (and it's already almost automatic that when I drive our other car I sometimes reach for the shifter)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1477 posts
512 upvotes
Ontario
Elec2016 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 11:14 pm
1. turn off the heater
2. drive in L gear
The idea that driving in L extends range is a myth that just won't go away.
May 20, 2017
144 posts
34 upvotes
ON
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 10:03 am
The idea that driving in L extends range is a myth that just won't go away.
Why is it a myth? It has been proven that people drive in L get more range at least based on GOM. If you don't have a FFE then how can you make that statement?
Mar 4, 2014
89 posts
11 upvotes
While it's true regen puts back energy into the battery while coming to a stop, only about 90% gets recovered, as opposed to nothing in an ICE car, but not stopping and driving smooth has proven to be even more efficient. (It takes a lot of energy to get moving from a stop regardless of propulsion systems)

In real world driving you must stop a lot so driving in L is the best we can hope for and recover as much wasted energy as possible.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10619 posts
1258 upvotes
RFD
Ideally on normal roads going at a fair clip and with no bumper to bumper traffic, you want to roll as far as you can, without regenerative braking.

If you are in bumper to bumper traffic and doing jack rabbit start stop, you want to be using regenerative braking. Also if you know you are coming to a stop, regenerative braking again is recommended.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10619 posts
1258 upvotes
RFD
I think 90% recovery using regenerative braking is a big stretch. I don't think its as high as that. I would say its even less than 50%.
paksau wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 10:51 am
While it's true regen puts back energy into the battery while coming to a stop, only about 90% gets recovered, as opposed to nothing in an ICE car, but not stopping and driving smooth has proven to be even more efficient. (It takes a lot of energy to get moving from a stop regardless of propulsion systems)

In real world driving you must stop a lot so driving in L is the best we can hope for and recover as much wasted energy as possible.
Jan 16, 2007
803 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
I don't like driving on L as it slows the car too rapidly when you take your foot off the gas pedal. I prefer to glide smoothly to a stop. Only time I use L is on stop and go traffic and on bad weather conditions.
Jun 12, 2007
39 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
radeonboy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 11:10 am
I think 90% recovery using regenerative braking is a big stretch. I don't think its as high as that. I would say its even less than 50%.
Yeah. Lithium-Ion battery's round trip efficiency is 80-90% to begin with. On top of that there are other losses from drag, friction, etc.
So Ford uses a different metric.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Londonbrewer