2017 Ford Focus Electric (base) $20,536 ON - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 10:40 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1065 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa
Just received an email about my EVIP application that I submitted July 20th. They had problems viewing bill of sale probably because it has a larger than letter paper size format and I had to scan it in 2 paths then stitching it back together. The other issue was with my void check, for some reason they could not see the top portion of it with my name. I resend bill of sale in separate files and rotated vertical void check and got a reply that everything is fine now.
Hope it'll process soon.
May 7, 2017
18 posts
2 upvotes
I just emailed my dealership just for fun to asking about a 2018 FFE... Someone mentioned it disappeared off the Quebec list and then came back... maybe there is a chance.

I think the CMAX will fit my needs perfect... it's just the Focus is much better looking to my eye.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4051 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
so steel rims are a no go right? because of some issue with the regen braking? alloys are more expensive darn it
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
Gotoff wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:17 pm
so steel rims are a no go right? because of some issue with the regen braking? alloys are more expensive darn it
Unless you buy new, there's no big difference between used steel and alloy rims on kijiji.
Aug 21, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Selkirk
I was told the same thing about steel wheels so I haven't made a decision yet. I see guys are using steel nut ford doesn't recommend it I guess.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
345 upvotes
Londonbrewer wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:47 am
No go, car disappeared from MFM this morning.

Tried adding via the website as opposed to the app. Doubt it will work, but worth a shot.
Same here. I'm going to pull the fuse again and leave it unplugged for couple of hours, also do a factory reset, then put the fuse back in. Let's see if it can fix it.
Jun 12, 2007
30 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
seafish wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:29 pm
Just received an email about my EVIP application that I submitted July 20th. They had problems viewing bill of sale probably because it has a larger than letter paper size format and I had to scan it in 2 paths then stitching it back together. The other issue was with my void check, for some reason they could not see the top portion of it with my name. I resend bill of sale in separate files and rotated vertical void check and got a reply that everything is fine now.
Hope it'll process soon.
Sounds like they've been ramping up the process.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1094 posts
177 upvotes
LoveRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:37 pm
Unless you buy new, there's no big difference between used steel and alloy rims on kijiji.
I have 15inch steels on and I see no issues. Personally I think this is a made up issue used to up sell.
Jan 8, 2009
586 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
User439255 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:07 am
I was told the same thing about steel wheels so I haven't made a decision yet. I see guys are using steel nut ford doesn't recommend it I guess.
Same exact alloys came on C-Max Energi and have been using steel rims for winter tires for 3 years no issues. Use the same nuts as for the alloys but a set of chrome lug nuts are around $10 bucks at Costco anyway. All the regen takes place in the motor not behind the wheels. This is an issue raised by someone at the dealer who doesn't understand how the car works and is afraid to change from alloys to steel just in case it causes a problem.
Jan 8, 2009
586 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
jeongyun wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:05 am
Sounds like they've been ramping up the process.
That and getting through the surge of applications caused when the $14k rebate first started.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1396 posts
95 upvotes
Mississauga
guessguy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 8:51 am
**Tow Alert**
My experience after 12 days of ownership.
After waiting 6.5 months to pick up the car, signed the papers and started driving home, as soon as I hit the highway, there is some very loud noise coming from the front area, slowed below 80 and it went away, so I pulled off the highway. Had a look underneath and it appears the splash protection guard on the bottom is torn on the front. Called salesman right away and being close to 8PM he advised to come back the next day. Drove home on the side roads under 80 all the way home.
Next day drive back to dealer (30KM away) and they advised the guard was broken while loading on the freight train/truck. So I guess the $1,750 PDI charge is for nothing when they didn't even inspect the car if it was safe to drive home. They just used zip ties to secure it until the part arrives in a week. This past Friday I head back and have part installed, all appears fine and no issues.
Next morning, go to start the car and 2 error messages appear and does not start. Tried over 10 times while exiting and re-entering the car. Nothing worked. Called for a tow truck. Towed to local dealer and after a few hours I had to call to get an update, they didn't even look at it. By end of the day I get a call back and they say the transmission control module has failed and will be a while until the part is replaced. I asked for a courtesy car and none was available. So now I'm left without a car for work on Monday.
Less than 2 weeks and it's already becoming Fix Or Repair Daily experience.....
*Update*
Finally received some news today on our FFE. It appears that the motor is having issues communicating with the battery and the main battery must be repaired. They have to remove the battery and ship to Michigan for repair and wait for it to return. I'm guessing we'll get the car back around Christmas. I am in a rental car at the moment.
Advisor stated that a case number has been established with HQ.
This has not been a pleasant new car buying experience to say the least. Is there anything I'm entitled to for the long time without our car?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9050 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Sad for you, seems like you either got a lemon, or Ford has no clue what they are doing. Unfortunate that you have the "Fix Or Repair Daily experience" as you stated.

Have you contacted and escalated this with Ford Canada? This is unacceptable for a new vehicle. You should be reimbursed with gift cards to cover the gas expenses at the very least I would imagine, that's how Tesla does it. Tesla will either give the customer another Tesla as rental, or cover the cost of a gas car rental and give cover gas expenses with gift cards.

You can try calling up CAMVAP - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan, and forming a complaint.
guessguy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:26 pm
*Update*
Finally received some news today on our FFE. It appears that the motor is having issues communicating with the battery and the main battery must be repaired. They have to remove the battery and ship to Michigan for repair and wait for it to return. I'm guessing we'll get the car back around Christmas. I am in a rental car at the moment.
Advisor stated that a case number has been established with HQ.
This has not been a pleasant new car buying experience to say the least. Is there anything I'm entitled to for the long time without our car?
Aug 16, 2006
364 posts
71 upvotes
My drive this morning in -10 weather (Toronto) with seat warmers, heater on high, and defogger.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2542 posts
746 upvotes
Range on the guess o meter for me this morning was 111km

Car was parked outside, but plugged in overnight. I did not precondition, drive to work was 90% highway and the heat was set at 24/
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.