• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2018 8:04 am
Apr 28, 2014
207 posts
82 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 7:37 pm

I will step in and intervene because you seem to want to lead the show a little too much.
Christ, what an idiot. The "your decision to take..." sign-off is deliciously stupid.

The good news for you is that if this is the quality of response from the owner's son or nephew or whatever, you're probably dealing with amateurs who will be scared off pretty darn quick by a letter from a lawyer with a downtown address. Unless they're stupid enough to believe their own garbage- they took your deposit, so how could it be a "quote sheet"? Even if they have convinced themselves, a letter should do it.
Last edited by SouthOnt on Dec 21st, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11012 posts
1514 upvotes
RFD
SouthOnt wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 9:16 pm
Christ, what an idiot. The "your decision to take..." sign-off is deliciously stupid.

The good news for you is that if this is the quality of response from the owner's son or nephew or whatever, you're probably dealing with amateurs who will be scared off pretty darn quick by a letter from a lawyer with a downtown address. Unless they're stupid enough to believe their own garbage- they took your deposit, so how could it be a "quote sheet"? Even if they have convinced themselves, a letter should do it.
That is a good tip that he should listen to...shows that he ain't messing around.
Aug 25, 2005
753 posts
44 upvotes
Dec 21st, 2017 7:37 pm
Well, I have now received a response from Pascal Dupont on behalf of Dupont and Dupont Ford. It is now finally lawyer time I think. They have had enough rope to hang themselves looking at the emails I have to date. At no time did I order a 2017 model and therefore obviously they didn't try to source one. Its just another excuse. My pdf of the paperwork has a handwritten signed statement from them stating 2018 and the amount of deposit paid. This email does talk about the real reason, which is they claim to be losing money on the deal. If they are losing money it is due to their own financial incompetence, or communication problems with Ford Canada, or both. They quoted the price and I agreed to the full price and paid a down payment/deposit. Although he says in the email they will honor our agreement the rest of the email indicates to the contrary.

Here is the latest email:

"I will step in and intervene because you seem to want to lead the show a little too much. You must know we are an independently owned franchise and in the business to make money. We are NOT obliged to deliver this car to you but feel that we need to honor the agreement we had together as a simple gesture of principals. We are good business people and try to accommodate customers to the utmost of our capacities. You must understand that when you purchased your vehicle, we had not yet received our price sheets for the 2018. As you will see on your quote sheet (and I stress it is only a quote sheet, not a sales contract), it is clearly written that it is for a 2017. Since we couldn’t find a 2017, you knew that we needed to ORDER a 2018 for you. We cannot honor the same price on a 2018 because that’s just the way this business is, we have to live with regular price increases on vehicles. These are provable increases and we have the facts and proof to account for. We would like the opportunity to speak with you face to face or even over the phone but you only seem to communicate via email, maybe it’s a strategy of some kind, I don’t know. But the fact of the matter is that you have not once been in to our store in person and dealing like this makes it very difficult for us.

If you wish to take delivery of your Focus, it will be at the conditions presented to you. We will not LOSE money selling this car, nor any other, especially with the limited stock we are faced with.

Your decision to take...

Pascal Dupont

Le Groupe Dupont & Dupont

Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Ford Honda"
If it was SO difficult for them to do business this way, why did they take your deposit!?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1751 posts
1132 upvotes
Canada
Clearly they try to make it look like Martin just put a deposit for reservation.
But if they actually signed a contract to deliver, then i don't think they have any option other then to fulfill it, even if they loose money on it.
What I don't understand how could they take an order if they didn't have a pricing information on 2018.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1802 posts
720 upvotes
Ontario
seafish wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 10:53 pm

What I don't understand how could they take an order if they didn't have a pricing information on 2018.
It is a real mystery as I was told the Ford Canada rep was there on the day I paid my deposit and accepted the factory retail order in my name. It seems that when the dealer received the invoice for the car from Ford Canada months later it was for more than they were expecting. Hard to understand how any business can sell something without knowing what they are going to have to pay for it. This should be their everyday bread and butter business. The 2018 FFE list price increased only $2k over 2017 anyways yet they have the nerve to ask for over $6k more.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11012 posts
1514 upvotes
RFD
Dec 21st, 2017 11:09 pm
It is a real mystery as I was told the Ford Canada rep was there on the day I paid my deposit and accepted the factory retail order in my name. It seems that when the dealer received the invoice for the car from Ford Canada months later it was for more than they were expecting. Hard to understand how any business can sell something without knowing what they are going to have to pay for it. This should be their everyday bread and butter business. The 2018 FFE list price increased only $2k over 2017 anyways yet they have the nerve to ask for over $6k more.
I guess they are amateurs
Aug 7, 2017
72 posts
37 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 4:59 pm
What do you mean post my range, that means jack. Range is a guesstimate of your previous driving. I get great mileage, anywhere from 190 in the summer on the backroads to 110 at minus 25 with the heat on doing 130. I have 11000 km on the car drove half of that with L on all the time until I RTFM then stopped and noticed no noticeable difference.
I completely agree. Comparing (or bragging about) displayed range from one car to another is futile. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of factors that can impact your estimated range, and many of these have been mentioned here:
Driving style, weight of the driver/passengers, tire manufacturer/pressure/type, cargo, weather, terrain, traffic... Take your pick. Clearly some of these factors are beyond my control. I login to MFM to check every once in awhile, but I already know most of the metrics don't even apply to me, and at least one doesn't even align with what my car is telling me...

As far as driving in D or L, do what ever helps you sleep better at night... Me? I drive in D because I believe Ford did not design the car to be driven in L for daily driving. Evident poof of this is (when driving in L) the brake lights do not come on when taking your foot off the accelerator. As mentioned in a previous post, this could be a safety issue one day if someone is following too closely. When I drive in D I'm able to get 99 - 100% most of the time and I love coasting.

I think most people are confused because hybrids and electric cars usually come with an "eco" mode which helps the driver squeeze out a few more kilometers. The FFE, being a compliance car, doesn't have this feature, so people are using the L "gear" as a substitute.

Just my thoughts...
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8335 posts
1789 upvotes
Dec 21st, 2017 11:09 pm
Did you sue?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1751 posts
1132 upvotes
Canada
Lol, decided not to wait until Ford releases Alexa MFM skill for Canada I created one myself :) Took me maybe couple of hours to figure out Alexa skill development procedures when I was adding already existent custom MyQ garage opener skill (that one they did not even release officially for US) Then sniffed MFM packets for authentication/remote starting/locking/unlocking FFE and voila, I have a voice-controlled car :) Well, at least when it's parked at home. Can probably easily add querying any information that is available through MFM if I want to, but right now I just use it to remote start without reaching for the phone or fob.
If anyone wants to try it with their Alexa and MFM account - here is a source code with instructions of how to set it up
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1751 posts
1132 upvotes
Canada
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 12:33 pm
Do you use echo for voice commands?
Umm, yes, what else?
The skill that is available for US users is not yet available for Canada. And I don't hold any expectations that it will be.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1751 posts
1132 upvotes
Canada
RedStrikeCa wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 12:42 pm
Thanks for the reply. I was just checking. I'm interested to try out the code. Thanks for sharing.
Didn't the original skill work for you? Or you switched to Canadian account?
There is not much functionality in the skill now :)
May 12, 2012
305 posts
213 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I feel for you Martin. But seriously, just lawyer up and be done with it. These fellows clearly are unaware that a written contract has been signed via the deposit you have placed. It does not matter if it is the sales contract or otherwise if it says x year model y and z trim, they are legally bound to oblige. It does not matter if they are to take a hit on the sale of the vehicle due to ignorance. A reasonable person would have refrained from selling the model at that time or placed certain criteria within the contract to circumvent this from occurring. I wish you the best of luck.

Also, I drive in D majority of the time. Brake score is typically between 98-100%. I shift into L only when I can predict where I need to stop at a red light, or when going downhill. As mentioned before, Ford has stated in its manual that the vehicle is NOT meant to be driven in L. The brake lights do not turn on because the slow down is engine braking and not the wheel/tire brakes activating. As such, this can be a safety hazard. For winter thus far, last 2 weeks I was able to squeeze an average of 141.68 km per battery charge. This consists of 5 battery charges whereby heating was used only on longer trips to heat the cabin to 21.5 degrees and to defog car, heated seats on at all times, driving was mixed 80% GTA (60-90km/h speeds) and 20% highway (90-100 km/h speeds). Honestly, I am quite impressed w/ the battery. When fully charged, I receive a range of 215km. During November, my longest trip on one battery charge was approximately 249km driving to Niagara and back to the GTA.

I have had one issue where I went to use one of the ChargePoints at Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre and when I returned, I was unable to disengage the charging cord lock on the vehicle. I tried numerous things from the emergy eject button to the infotainment menu/settings menu to resetting the whole console. Eventually, the lock disengaged when I turned off the vehicle for the 5th time and sad in the vehicle for 40 minutes. So far, this issue has not reoccured.
Sep 30, 2007
558 posts
311 upvotes
FFE manual on page 147 states that you should be taking "COLD WEATHER PRECAUTIONS" if outside temps fall below -25C. Without specifying any details, unfortunately.
Question to all of you, who parks outside overnight.
What's your contingency plan?
Toronto outside temps will drop down to -20C for the next week or so.
I'm planning on parking in the basement of my building, thanks to the kind neighbor, but obviously, not everyone has this option.

Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1122 posts
146 upvotes
Milton
xrvr wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 10:24 pm
FFE manual on page 147 states that you should be taking "COLD WEATHER PRECAUTIONS" if outside temps fall below -25C. Without specifying any details, unfortunately.
Question to all of you, who parks outside overnight.
What's your contingency plan?
Toronto outside temps will drop down to -20C for the next week or so.
I'm planning on parking in the basement of my building, thanks to the kind neighbor, but obviously, not everyone has this option.

Maybe they mean ambient temp vs windchill? -25 C ambient is fairly uncommon here, certainly not sustained over many hours.
Aug 25, 2005
753 posts
44 upvotes
neptune wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 10:43 pm
Maybe they mean ambient temp vs windchill? -25 C ambient is fairly uncommon here, certainly not sustained over many hours.
If your car is plugged in is there a thermal management system that keeps the car battery warm?

There's a warning message that says to plug in when cold.....