Automotive

The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Mar 7, 2006
217 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I would look at other EV's that have longer ranges.
I would think that some point in time the dealership in town would have to get training on working on EV's.

Maybe contact Ford and inquire about will all Ford dealership have mandatory training on EV's and mention the dilemma.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
notchy wrote: I would look at other EV's that have longer ranges.
I would think that some point in time the dealership in town would have to get training on working on EV's.

Maybe contact Ford and inquire about will all Ford dealership have mandatory training on EV's and mention the dilemma.
Your looking at it in the wrong way. I bet when op inquired about the electric focus its probably the first time they have been asked. A 180 km electric focus isn't the type of vehicle that gets a lot of sales up north.

Its not just a matter of training there is a also special tools required to work on the focus. It doesn't make sense for the dealer to spend all that money for a car he will never sell.
Aug 22, 2011
659 posts
413 upvotes
PORT HOPE
Allaboutthedeals wrote: What would you guy do in my situation? I live In North Bay and I have no Ford Dealers that can work on Focus Electric because they are not certified. Would you still lease the car if knowingly they couldn't fix the car. On top of this. I don't have enough range to get it fixed in Toronto.
Don't buy it. You wouldn't want an untrained tech working on it, and it would be very costly if you had to have it towed to a certified dealer if you had an issue where it had to be towed.
Did you check the Sudbury dealer?
Mar 7, 2017
126 posts
49 upvotes
notchy wrote: I would look at other EV's that have longer ranges.

Just called Ford. They are really clueless.
Mar 7, 2017
126 posts
49 upvotes
stevhorn wrote: Don't buy it. You wouldn't want an untrained tech working on it, and it would be very costly if you had to have it towed to a certified dealer if you had an issue where it had to be towed.
Did you check the Sudbury dealer?
I talked to the dealers in Sudbury. They can't sell or fix the car.
Jun 16, 2008
410 posts
213 upvotes
Does anyone know if the costco discount is a regular thing with Ford or not. The current promotion is expiring on 30Apr2017, would there be a new costco promotion after that? Also, did anyone tried the new grad discount...I couldn't find the terms anywhere on the internet
Last edited by yugo on Apr 3rd, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
oneild wrote: Just over a week ago - Dealer in Chatham found me one in Quebec and had it shipped. Excellent service!
No dings or marks of any kind. Car was immaculate!
The issue is really the depth of the trunk space. I can put long objects in there with the seats down but nothing very dimensionally large. These would have to go in the passenger areas.
Hi oneild, please remember to give us some review on your car, like range, charging time, information system etc. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Is a 100 amp service enough to run level 2 charger, stove, dryer, AC and lights?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4193 posts
2224 upvotes
Niagara
shoppingkart wrote: Is a 100 amp service enough to run level 2 charger, stove, dryer, AC and lights?
Running them all at the same time? I think you'd be ok. I mean, I have all of those and more myself on 100A service. I find that rarely all of them are being used at the same time.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
joey003 wrote: Running them all at the same time? I think you'd be ok. I mean, I have all of those and more myself on 100A service. I find that rarely all of them are being used at the same time.
Well...we are doing most of our laundry, cooking, after 7pm, then add the AC in summer, couple of TVs , computers plus charging the car, so it's possible to have them on at the same time. I just don't want to reset the main breaker every time.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4193 posts
2224 upvotes
Niagara
shoppingkart wrote: Well...we are doing most of our laundry, cooking, after 7pm, then add the AC in summer, couple of TVs , computers plus charging the car, so it's possible to have them on at the same time. I just don't want to reset the main breaker every time.
Computers, TVs and smaller things I don't think are significant.

I'd add up the major things. 30A for the EV, the AC, dryer, oven. Wouldn't be bad to get an idea of the draw for some of these appliances.

Also, would be possible to schedule the EV to charge later at night when you're unlikely to be using much else.
Jun 21, 2008
25 posts
63 upvotes
Belle River
LoveRFD wrote: Hi oneild, please remember to give us some review on your car, like range, charging time, information system etc. Thanks.
Happily!
Today is my week anniversary with the 2017 Ford Focus Electric. I've driven it to and from work everyday as well as driving my daughters all over the place on the weekend. This car really is a pleasure to drive. My daily commute is 60-70 km per day so I've been able to get by with the 110V charger that was included. I have a 220V L2 but it has not been installed yet. One of the things I love most is how quiet the car is. I've taken it up to 140 km/hr and all you hear is the tires against the road. It really seems to take off around 40 km/hr and again at 80km/hr.
Low rolling resistance tires do spin easily, especially on wet roads. Did a Costco run on Saturday and was able to fit everything in the back in spite of the limited storage.
I really find myself aware of the range and the things that affect it - Heating/defrost/heated seats all have an impact. Interior is comfortable and SYNC 3 media/GPS etc is intuitive and powerful. Audio quality is so-so but then I've been spoiled by the Harmon Kardon in my MINI.

The 'MyFordMobile' app does some amazing things including awarding you 'badges' for your driving efficiency and comparing you to other drivers of the same vehicle. Can also start/stop your car, check state of charge and review all previous trips using the GPS.

Interesting fact - I found out that the mechanic at the Ford dealership I bought the car at ordered one for himself - I take this as a good sign!
All in all, I didn't get the deal that some got but I LOVE the car. If anyone wants to know anything specific, I'm happy to assist, just let me know.

This car will certainly due until my Tesla Model 3 comes!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4193 posts
2224 upvotes
Niagara
oneild wrote: Happily!
Today is my week anniversary with the 2017 Ford Focus Electric. I've driven it to and from work everyday as well as driving my daughters all over the place on the weekend. This car really is a pleasure to drive. My daily commute is 60-70 km per day so I've been able to get by with the 110V charger that was included. I have a 220V L2 but it has not been installed yet. One of the things I love most is how quiet the car is. I've taken it up to 140 km/hr and all you hear is the tires against the road. It really seems to take off around 40 km/hr and again at 80km/hr.
Low rolling resistance tires do spin easily, especially on wet roads. Did a Costco run on Saturday and was able to fit everything in the back in spite of the limited storage.
I really find myself aware of the range and the things that affect it - Heating/defrost/heated seats all have an impact. Interior is comfortable and SYNC 3 media/GPS etc is intuitive and powerful. Audio quality is so-so but then I've been spoiled by the Harmon Kardon in my MINI.

The 'MyFordMobile' app does some amazing things including awarding you 'badges' for your driving efficiency and comparing you to other drivers of the same vehicle. Can also start/stop your car, check state of charge and review all previous trips using the GPS.

Interesting fact - I found out that the mechanic at the Ford dealership I bought the car at ordered one for himself - I take this as a good sign!
All in all, I didn't get the deal that some got but I LOVE the car. If anyone wants to know anything specific, I'm happy to assist, just let me know.

Congrats and welcome to the EV world :)
Aug 30, 2013
92 posts
28 upvotes
GTA

Fantastic!

We expect weekly updates. :P
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3712 posts
3793 upvotes
Toronto

Congrats!

You should make a Youtube video for all of us too see.
Peeons with power trips. LOL
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Would like to see pictures showing how many carry-on luggages and/or gym shoulder bags or backpacks you can fit with the back seats up, and the trunk organizer removed.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2412 posts
970 upvotes

How is the heating, i know it is wrong question for this kind of weather. Is FFE a heat pump heating or resistance based
<signature removed>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7424 posts
4657 upvotes
Ottawa
shoppingkart wrote: Is a 100 amp service enough to run level 2 charger, stove, dryer, AC and lights?
FWIW, we've got a 100A service and run all those plus pool pump and hot tub and it seems fine but I'm not an electrician.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
So total cost of my lease is about $8400 and my trade in is worth $7000 worst case scenario, can the dealer reduce my lease total cost to $1400?
Mar 7, 2006
217 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the only person that could give you an answer would be the specific dealership you put an offer in with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)