The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
joey003 wrote: And the prior point still stands. Significantly less to no maintenance compared to ICE.
Ok fanboi!
Mar 13, 2015
23 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa, On
I may be risking the fury of forum moderators here, but here goes: I just ordered my Elmec Level II charger and I'm looking for an Ottawa area electrician to install the 40 amp outlet. I was quoted $1400 by one local company. FFS that seems expensive!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2218 posts
764 upvotes
Halton
chewpickman wrote: I may be risking the fury of forum moderators here, but here goes: I just ordered my Elmec Level II charger and I'm looking for an Ottawa area electrician to install the 40 amp outlet. I was quoted $1400 by one local company. FFS that seems expensive!
Thats in line with quotes I've received from local GTA electricians as well.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
chewpickman wrote: I may be risking the fury of forum moderators here, but here goes: I just ordered my Elmec Level II charger and I'm looking for an Ottawa area electrician to install the 40 amp outlet. I was quoted $1400 by one local company. FFS that seems expensive!
Ask for breakdown of their quote, if that is what everyone is charging then might as well run it yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6223 posts
4759 upvotes
Ontario
Azer wrote: What an overly aggressive tone to take when all he did was link you the information you asked for. You did not specify MSRP or dealer invoice. With the low volume and relatively high demand of EV models I can't imagine there will be much room to negotiate with these cars, at least for the initial batch.
If you read my post I wasn't asking for information. Best to deal in facts rather than imagination or speculation. I bought one of the very first Japanese built Camry Hybrid models to hit Canada in 2006 and at the time there was a rebate and no stock. I got $1000 off MRSP. I intend to get a great deal on an EV the same way I did with my 2013 PHEV.
>>Using LOL is the sign of a weak argument that needs shoring!
Mar 16, 2007
832 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
antigua1999 wrote: East Court or Eastgate? I would wait also to save money.
East Court Ford Scarborough. Eastgate Ford is in Hamilton.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
xcel wrote: East Court Ford Scarborough. Eastgate Ford is in Hamilton.
I know where they are you named both in your post. Just trying to figure out what dealer you were talking about.
Mar 16, 2007
832 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
antigua1999 wrote: I know where they are you named both in your post. Just trying to figure out what dealer you were talking about.
I checked both. East Court Ford had the best price.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
xcel wrote: I checked both. East Court Ford had the best price.
Nice cover.
Apr 25, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone order one successfully very recently? Rep at erin wood advised today he didn't even think they would be getting any but young and steeles would be getting 30 somehow.
Mar 2, 2011
463 posts
395 upvotes
Ottawa
DiceRoller wrote: Has anyone order one successfully very recently? Rep at erin wood advised today he didn't even think they would be getting any but young and steeles would be getting 30 somehow.
Dealers can factory order one specifically for you, whether or not they're getting any themselves already.

I did an order through Yonge-Steeles, so I'm guessing I'm one of those 30 Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jun 12, 2016
715 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
DiceRoller wrote: Has anyone order one successfully very recently? Rep at erin wood advised today he didn't even think they would be getting any but young and steeles would be getting 30 somehow.
I placed my order at Erin Wood in March for June delivery- not sure if you would consider this very recent or not. When I spoke to my sales rep at that time, he said that they'll be getting 2-3 in the next few months as dealer has placed their factory order in advance. The one I'm getting is from those 2-3 that the dealership has ordered. Definitely in limited supply but not sure what the demand is like in Mississauga vs. North York.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3712 posts
3792 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone in the GTA looking into EV's should check out the Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre. They will have a test drive day today and Sunday. They have wine and beer today so drink as much as you can before your test drive! :)

The Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre is the first facility of its kind in the world focused entirely on providing an experiential learning environment for electric vehicles. At the Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre, you can:

Discover Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan and the role electric vehicles play in reducing emissions
Discover the environmental and economic benefits of driving an electric vehicle
Discover Ontario's electricity system
Discover and test drive the latest electric vehicle models from leading manufacturers

Located at 1126 Finch Avenue West, North York, Ontario, the Discovery Centre is open to the public, but also available for private bookings: corporate meetings, employee engagement programs and stakeholder receptions.

Plug'n Drive is hosting three "sneak-peek" open houses in April:

Thursday, April 27 - 4 PM to 8 PM (Test Drives 4 PM - 6 PM | Wine, Beer and Refreshments 6 PM - 8 PM)
Sunday, April 30 - 11 AM to 6 PM (All-Day Test Drive)

Take advantage of this opportunity to preview the development of the EVDC learning environment. There will be a variety of the latest EV makes and models from leading manufacturers on showcase and available for test drive.

https://plugndrive.ca/electric-vehicle-discovery-centre
Peeons with power trips. LOL
Apr 7, 2017
13 posts
tk1000 wrote: Already posted in the Ioniq thread
hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-revealed-all-three ... v-1932939/
Is it just me or does Ioniq seem over priced? FFE has $32K MSRP and has 33KW battery which is supposed to be most expensive part of car. Ioniq only has 28.8KW battery but it starts at $35.6K MSRP. I know the range on ioniq is the same or slightly better than FFE but seems to me the ioniq should be $32-33K for SE. Seems they are pricing it for early adaptors who don't mind paying more to be first. I guess Leaf buyers will pay that price for under 200KM range so Ioniq buyers will pay the same....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6223 posts
4759 upvotes
Ontario
User505802 wrote: Is it just me or does Ioniq seem over priced? FFE has $32K MSRP and has 33KW battery which is supposed to be most expensive part of car. Ioniq only has 28.8KW battery but it starts at $35.6K MSRP. I know the range on ioniq is the same or slightly better than FFE but seems to me the ioniq should be $32-33K for SE. Seems they are pricing it for early adaptors who don't mind paying more to be first. I guess Leaf buyers will pay that price for under 200KM range so Ioniq buyers will pay the same....
Although both the Ioniq and E-golf are new to Canada they have both been sold elsewhere for some time. The Ioniq will have significantly improved range for 2018MY and Samsung SDI who make the batteries for the e-golf have announced big improvements in their batteries this year which supposedly outperform Tesla packs. Could it be that these cars are now being sold as new models into a rebate rich environment to help move the last of the older battery technology? The Focus benefits from the economies of scale of the best selling car in the world. It dates from 2012 Model year so is old as a platform hence discounting would normally be expected towards the end of the production run. It too will be replaced by the Model E before long (now to be built in existing plant in Michigan not a new plant in Mexico). All in all the better deal is probably a year or so down the road and by then there should be more incentives (in Ontario at least) as well.
Apr 9, 2016
118 posts
123 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: All in all the better deal is probably a year or so down the road and by then there should be more incentives (in Ontario at least) as well.
Sadly, or maybe not, this is exactly the conclusion I came to.
Had I lived in the GTA I would have closed the deal on a FFE right after the Autoshow. But all Ottawa area dealers wanted roughly 1k more than GTA dealers and my diary didn't get me down to Toronto in a timely fashion. (I know, i could have done the deal on the phone, but I'm not committing a deal without looking the sales manager in the eye). Once April came around the quoted deal worsened and so did delivery times.
Even if the deal was still available I don't think right now is the time to buy. Between order and delivery there's a small but not zero chance of a border tax, NAFTA withdrawal, ON provincial leadership change, incentive changes or introduction of HST changes to EVs. Of course there's no ideal time to buy, but frankly screw ON dealers for not having a single FFE model on the forecourt and expecting me to deal with the variables.
There are increasing EV and PHEV models, but people are still adopting because they like the tech or want the credentials. That's fine, but not my motivation. I laughed when the e-Golf launched and you could order and choose your color..... but no price was available. (My local Toyota dealer tried the same stunt with the Prius Prime, because "that's what everyone does").
Right now the first manufacturer to offer 150km range, immediate delivery, 20k on the road and a decent lease deal will clean up. With rare exception, such as some heavily discounted Leafs I haven't seen this. With the new models coming and potential HST changes, next year's sweet spot might be 16k for 200km.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6223 posts
4759 upvotes
Ontario
I agree. Another point worth noting is that if you lease a BEV/PHEV and get the rebates you MUST keep the car for the full term of the lease or you will have to pay back all the rebate. This means you cannot buyout the lease, trade in, trade-up, or transfer the lease. With 0% available its tempting to take the lease deal and think well its a free loan and I can always pay it off at any time. With technology advancing rapidly and new rebates expected which will help sell used BEVs and PHEVs this rule may prove very restrictive.
Apr 27, 2014
390 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I wouldn't count on any new/existing rebates making it beyond the election.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
comsym wrote: Sadly, or maybe not, this is exactly the conclusion I came to.
Had I lived in the GTA I would have closed the deal on a FFE right after the Autoshow. But all Ottawa area dealers wanted roughly 1k more than GTA dealers and my diary didn't get me down to Toronto in a timely fashion. (I know, i could have done the deal on the phone, but I'm not committing a deal without looking the sales manager in the eye). Once April came around the quoted deal worsened and so did delivery times.
Even if the deal was still available I don't think right now is the time to buy. Between order and delivery there's a small but not zero chance of a border tax, NAFTA withdrawal, ON provincial leadership change, incentive changes or introduction of HST changes to EVs. Of course there's no ideal time to buy, but frankly screw ON dealers for not having a single FFE model on the forecourt and expecting me to deal with the variables.
There are increasing EV and PHEV models, but people are still adopting because they like the tech or want the credentials. That's fine, but not my motivation. I laughed when the e-Golf launched and you could order and choose your color..... but no price was available. (My local Toyota dealer tried the same stunt with the Prius Prime, because "that's what everyone does").
Right now the first manufacturer to offer 150km range, immediate delivery, 20k on the road and a decent lease deal will clean up. With rare exception, such as some heavily discounted Leafs I haven't seen this. With the new models coming and potential HST changes, next year's sweet spot might be 16k for 200km.
I'm not sure about getting a EV for $16k on the road. But if it indeed becomes true that will really make a lot of people jump the wagon.
Apr 9, 2016
118 posts
123 upvotes
expatflame wrote: I wouldn't count on any new/existing rebates making it beyond the election.
Agreed. The situation will likely get worse not better, should the Ontario Liberals see the exits. Without significant incentives or really sky high gas prices, we won't be talking about buying EVs on RFD though. Their huge depreciation makes them totally unattractive. Only ON, QC and BC see any real EV sales numbers - through subsidy.

It's also possible that in the meantime the Ontario government's ambition of removing HST from EV sales will materialise, at least for a short while. There's 4k+ of HST on the FFE and as of March, $20,600 was an achievable cash sale price.

I've no idea what'll happen of course. It just seems like a lot of variables to me though, when people are being asked to wait 4 months(??) for a new FFE order.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)