Automotive

The Ford Focus Electric Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2024 5:40 pm
Mar 22, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Looks like FFE delivery cash up to $750 instead of $500. (BTW Fusion Energi discount down from $4k to $750!)

Quote: "The province will continue to review the EVIP annually to ensure that it is an effective tool for promoting the adoption of EVs in Ontario. The next review will be conducted in the fall of 2017."

So rebates will be reviewed in the fall. Perhaps this is when HST removal or "Scrap-it" rebate will be introduced. I guess if there is a waiting list for all reasonably priced BEVs they may feel there is no need to maintain the BEV rebate at $14k. Also it may be reduced if other stackable incentives are introduced. As I mentioned previously this could be an issue with a 5 month or longer wait for delivery.
Though the delivery cash discount on the FFE is up to $750 (from $500) the $500 Costco rebate is gone. So overall its a $250 negative swing. However, if anyone has an older ford fiesta or the previous gen ford focus they may be eligible for a new $500 rebate introduced this month.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Vishusibal wrote: Though the delivery cash discount on the FFE is up to $750 (from $500) the $500 Costco rebate is gone. So overall its a $250 negative swing. However, if anyone has an older ford fiesta or the previous gen ford focus they may be eligible for a new $500 rebate introduced this month.
The $500 loyalty rebate for Fiesta/Focus owners has been there for awhile.
Mar 22, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
shoppingkart wrote: The $500 loyalty rebate for Fiesta/Focus owners has been there for awhile.
You are right - it has been there for a while. However, it is officially a different program and has been expanded. It is $500 on new c-max, focus and fiesta. $1000 for new fusion and $2000 on most everything else (including f-150s and lincolns)

Sorry, I should've been more clear.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Vishusibal wrote: You are right - it has been there for a while. However, it is officially a different program and has been expanded. It is $500 on new c-max, focus and fiesta. $1000 for new fusion and $2000 on most everything else (including f-150s and lincolns)

Sorry, I should've been more clear.
Do you know which previous model years are eligible for the rebate?
Mar 22, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
Owners and lessees of a 2011-2015 Model Fiesta or a 2012-2015 Model Focus are potentially eligible
Sep 11, 2009
351 posts
37 upvotes
Thornhill
Any changes in the residual values?
The only thing that could affect our lease payment values is if the rebates change from the time we sign the lease to the time the car is delivered? I.e we would not be affected by any changes in future residual value changes during the 5 month wait?
On the other hand, if there was an increase in the delivery allowance when we receive the car, could that additional discount be factored into the lease at that point ?
Thanks
Vishusibal wrote: Though the delivery cash discount on the FFE is up to $750 (from $500) the $500 Costco rebate is gone. So overall its a $250 negative swing. However, if anyone has an older ford fiesta or the previous gen ford focus they may be eligible for a new $500 rebate introduced this month.
Mar 22, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
rmtrmt wrote: Any changes in the residual values?
The only thing that could affect our lease payment values is if the rebates change from the time we sign the lease to the time the car is delivered? I.e we would not be affected by any changes in future residual value changes during the 5 month wait?
On the other hand, if there was an increase in the delivery allowance when we receive the car, could that additional discount be factored into the lease at that point ?
Thanks
Residual values for the vehicle remain the same this month as April. As long as an explicit order is placed for the focus BEV into the plant during a specific incentive/program period those are the rebates/incentives that are safe. During the order and wait period if the prices and discounts get worse it does not affect you. Once the vehicle arrives you have a choice between the programs available at the time or order or at the time of physical delivery.
Mar 16, 2007
832 posts
118 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Vishusibal wrote: Residual values for the vehicle remain the same this month as April. As long as an explicit order is placed for the focus BEV into the plant during a specific incentive/program period those are the rebates/incentives that are safe. During the order and wait period if the prices and discounts get worse it does not affect you. Once the vehicle arrives you have a choice between the programs available at the time or order or at the time of physical delivery.
If before delivery the province reduces 14k rebate then what happens?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
xcel wrote: If before delivery the province reduces 14k rebate then what happens?
Pay the difference or walk away.
Mar 22, 2017
30 posts
19 upvotes
xcel wrote: If before delivery the province reduces 14k rebate then what happens?
Potential legislative changes to the EV rebate aren't expected to be on the table until the Fall. In other words, FOCUS BEV orders from this year should be fine. Any changes made in the governments Fall session wouldn't come into affect till the following year.

That being said, in an extreme case the rebate value does change, the buyers for said EV cars will either need to pay the difference (assuming the EV rebate value goes down) or perhaps cancel their deals if they are unwilling to do so.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3260 posts
4520 upvotes
Toronto
One month with my FFE.

Distance covered, 1361 km, mostly city with short highway trips, assuming average gasoline consumption of ICEd Focus is 9 L/100 Km, and price of the regular unleaded in GTA was $1.15/liter in April,
I've saved 123 liters of gasoline, or C$141.
Not bad.
I've not paid for the electricity either, as I'm able to charge for free at work, or can go to a nearby Ikea for a quick lunch and top-up.
FFE odometer.png

I don't have to explain the pros of EVs here, I hope, so straight to the cons.

1. Light beige interior looks very cool, but is not very practical, it gets dirty easily. But at least it's the leather, and it's easy to clean.
2. Throw out right away "cargo management" contraption, it's only takes up valuable trunk space.
3. Also remove and store at home rear headrests. Since trunk is small, I have to fold rear seats often, and it's just plain annoying to waste time removing headrests and then putting them back.
4. Energy efficient Michelin's are probably very good at saving precious Wh's, but they have bad road grip, especially when wet. Beware.
5. Charging port door has poor design, as after rain I can see some water inside, plus few times I've seen it slightly open, even though I know I've closed it properly before.
6. O yeah, audio system is adequate, but my 5 year old, $17k work Dodge Caravan has better sounding audio system. Go figure.
Mar 21, 2017
28 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hi xrvr,

Did you find the brakes sensitive? I test drove a 2014 focus electric and it was slightly sensitive.
Jun 12, 2016
715 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
xrvr wrote: One month with my FFE.

Distance covered, 1361 km, mostly city with short highway trips, assuming average gasoline consumption of ICEd Focus is 9 L/100 Km, and price of the regular unleaded in GTA was $1.15/liter in April,
Not bad.
I've not paid for the electricity either, as I'm able to charge for free at work, or can go to a nearby Ikea for a quick lunch and top-up.

FFE odometer.png

1. Light beige interior looks very cool, but is not very practical, it gets dirty easily. But at least it's the leather, and it's easy to clean.
2. Throw out right away "cargo management" contraption, it's only takes up valuable trunk space.
3. Also remove and store at home rear headrests. Since trunk is small, I have to fold rear seats often, and it's just plain annoying to waste time removing headrests and then putting them back.
4. Energy efficient Michelin's are probably very good at saving precious Wh's, but they have bad road grip, especially when wet. Beware.
5. Charging port door has poor design, as after rain I can see some water inside, plus few times I've seen it slightly open, even though I know I've closed it properly before.
6. O yeah, audio system is adequate, but my 5 year old, $17k work Dodge Caravan has better sounding audio system. Go figure.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your FFE.
With all the rain we've been having, did you find that you needed to use the heater more to get rid off any condensation on the windshield. Curious to see how you handle driving in the rain and the impact of turning on the heater on the car's range. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote: One month with my FFE.

Not bad.

FFE odometer.png

Just a few things that may be factors at play:
1. I find cloth wears better in the long term and work better with seat covers in dirty environments. However FFE cloth seats are very light and made of eco materials so I would get leather too.
4. The tires spin easily moving off due to instant torque especially in the wet and this can give the impression the tires have very little grip. Could this be a factor in your impression?
5. Have often plugged in a wet charge cord after shaking water out of the end. A bit of water doesn't seem to affect charging. Bigger issue with the old style door is ice in the winter and being unable to open the door. Hopefully the new design is better but If the car is left outside in the winter it is best to try to protect the door in some way. The old FFE door also had an issue of rubbing the paint when it slid open.
6. I have a CVP Caravan and never thought of the audio as good. However I think in general a sound system sounds better in a bigger space - bigger soundstage or something. The Sony system in the C-Max I thought was similar to the FFE and is definitely better than the Caravan IMO. Maybe the speakers are not so good in the FFE.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
3260 posts
4520 upvotes
Toronto
Did you find the brakes sensitive? I test drove a 2014 focus electric and it was slightly sensitive.
Yes, they're somewhat sensitive.
how you handle driving in the rain and the impact of turning on the heater on the car's range.
Unless it's pouring down really bad, opening passengers side window 0.5" helps a lot to recirculate air inside.
Heater in FFE is the giant 9 KW element, and every time you turn it on, it kills your GOM (guess-o-meter) range.
P.S. E-Golf will have heated windshield, and some cars had it for ages.
I cant imagine it's being super expensive to put heated windshield in every EV, but it will definitely help a lot for the energy consumption.
Problem is, every time I speed, or use AC/heater, car thinks it's the way I drive from now on, and it significantly reduces your available KMs to empty.
As soon as you turn it off, your range goes back to the actual numbers.
Takes some time to get used to, for sure.
I wish there was an option to see an actual kWh remaining, and instant energy consumption.
The tires spin easily moving off due to instant torque especially in the wet and this can give the impression the tires have very little grip.
Nope. Happened once on 427, dry pavement, I was going too fast, I guess, and wheels locked up, when I was trying to slow down and change lanes. My fault, obviously.
Another time was last night, raining, guy made sudden left turn right in front of me, I hit brakes, and it felt like car was sliding for a quick second.
Keeping safe distance is the first rule to safe driving.
Maybe the speakers are not so good in the FFE.
Bingo! I listen almost exclusively to EDM, and good bass and SPL are essential to enjoy it :)
I'm sure speakers are good, it's just they're too small to move any serious amount of air.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
xrvr wrote:
I wish there was an option to see an actual kWh remaining, and instant energy consumption.

Nope. Happened once on 427, dry pavement, I was going too fast, I guess, and wheels locked up, when I was trying to slow down and change lanes. My fault, obviously.
Another time was last night, raining, guy made sudden left turn right in front of me, I hit brakes, and it felt like car was sliding for a quick second.
Keeping safe distance is the first rule to safe driving.

C-Max Energi has instantaneous accessory power usage screen 0-5kw which shows how much power the heater etc is using. FFE doesn't?

Stopping problems must be due in part to extra weight of batteries. ICE Focus is 1270 - 1471kg. Focus RS is 1569kg but has huge brakes and high performance tires. FFE is 1674kg with eco-tires. Wise to maintain a healthy braking distance as you say.
May 7, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
XRVR... Thanks for all your info (everyone else as well) regarding the FFE.

I went to Yonge-Steeles today to see Rahul but he didn't come in so I spoke with his Dad.

Got some pricing but I just need to see one thing... The trunk space... I know the battery bank takes up a large portion of it but can the back seats be folded down and is there any surface large and flat enough to accommodate a dog kennel?

If anyone could snap a few pictures of their FFE that would be excellent.

I was filling up my Escape today (and it's decent on gas) and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like not having to stop into the Shell as often.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
jburns41 wrote: XRVR... Thanks for all your info (everyone else as well) regarding the FFE.

I went to Yonge-Steeles today to see Rahul but he didn't come in so I spoke with his Dad.

Got some pricing but I just need to see one thing... The trunk space... I know the battery bank takes up a large portion of it but can the back seats be folded down and is there any surface large and flat enough to accommodate a dog kennel?

If anyone could snap a few pictures of their FFE that would be excellent.

I was filling up my Escape today (and it's decent on gas) and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like not having to stop into the Shell as often.
Not sure where your located but Summit Ford in rexdale has a used 2012 Focus electric you could look in the trunk and judge for yourself.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1164 posts
701 upvotes
Perth
Still waiting for them to start building and get my VIN# and I ordered in March... supposed to arrive in June. Anybody else have any news?
May 7, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
I'm nowhere near Rexdale unfortunately...

I asked today about build times and I was told 3 months... but I've read much higher estimates on here.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)