• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 11:48 am
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I was just thinking about the CR-V test drives I did (yes, multiple.. 3 in total).

I remember the first one was an EX-L and I thought the road noise and ride was not as comfortable as I was expecting. I later test drove an EX and LX over a few weeks (not back to back).

The EX and LX seemed to have less road noise which got me thinking... could the EX-L be running different tires, over inflated tires, or did I just get use to it? Either way, my LX is quieter and it's Canadian made. Not sure about the EX-L assembly location (Canada or US) but was definitely louder. I also don't know how much the LX 17inch tires vs EX 18inch tires played a role.. both sounded the same.
lloyd_christmas wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:32 pm
Never test drove the 2017 Rogue myself. I drove 2016 Rogue and wasnt impressed. Same ride comfort as my 2006 altima at times.

Before settling on a CRV i drove a 2017 Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain, VW Tiguain.

I liked the CRV interior and ride comfort the most.
Oct 6, 2006
105 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
When I picked up my 2017 CR-V EX from the dealer I found the ride very stiff and the tires loud. I checked the tire pressure and the tires were way overinflated. I set the correct pressure for the front and back tires, they have different pressures, and the stiffness and noise went away.

That could be the reason for the noise and stiff ride you had.
FilaGuy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:42 pm
I was just thinking about the CR-V test drives I did (yes, multiple.. 3 in total).

I remember the first one was an EX-L and I thought the road noise and ride was not as comfortable as I was expecting. I later test drove an EX and LX over a few weeks (not back to back).

The EX and LX seemed to have less road noise which got me thinking... could the EX-L be running different tires, over inflated tires, or did I just get use to it? Either way, my LX is quieter and it's Canadian made. Not sure about the EX-L assembly location (Canada or US) but was definitely louder. I also don't know how much the LX 17inch tires vs EX 18inch tires played a role.. both sounded the same.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28416 posts
4393 upvotes
Ottawa
FilaGuy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:42 pm

Could have been several factors including engine type in the vehicle and could easily be tire brand and/or size. There are different brands of tires on the vehicles, even on the same model. My Touring came with Hankook but there was a touring in the showroom that had Continentals.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2633 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 8:27 am
Could have been several factors including engine type in the vehicle and could easily be tire brand and/or size. There are different brands of tires on the vehicles, even on the same model. My Touring came with Hankook but there was a touring in the showroom that had Continentals.
This most likely.

If testing 2017/2018 models then same engine in all [unless tested in USA where base LX had 2.4 engine]
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Agreed - I was thinking tire brand and inflation. If I didn't do a 2nd test drive, I may not have ended up with a CR-V.
georvu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:42 am
This most likely.

If testing 2017/2018 models then same engine in all [unless tested in USA where base LX had 2.4 engine]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2633 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
FilaGuy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:08 am
Agreed - I was thinking tire brand and inflation. If I didn't do a 2nd test drive, I may not have ended up with a CR-V.
FWD LX or AWD LX?

2017 or 2018?

Price competitive if 2018?
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Not sure what you're asking but I'll bite :)

I test drove only 2017 models but purchased a 2018 model (LX 2WD). I think I got a good price and overall happy with purchase.
georvu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:14 am
FWD LX or AWD LX?

2017 or 2018?

Price competitive if 2018?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2633 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
FilaGuy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:35 pm
Not sure what you're asking but I'll bite :)

I test drove only 2017 models but purchased a 2018 model (LX 2WD). I think I got a good price and overall happy with purchase.
Thanks.
Just wanted to find out if dealerships are discounting 2018 models and for trim most folks seem to want AWD but I think 2WD with winter tires is a good buy as well.
Nov 4, 2017
4 posts
boldventure wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:40 am
I got Maxiliner from Amazon, better cover on the sides
How do you like the Maxliner mats so far?
I think I will buy either Maxliner or Findway mats.
Nov 18, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
I used to overinflate my 2005 Prius' tires, which is recommended for hybrids to save fuel. It definitely made the ride harsher and a bit noisier.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1425 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto, ON
struki wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:21 pm
How do you like the Maxliner mats so far?
I think I will buy either Maxliner or Findway mats.
so far great, it covers the sides better which means less or no dirt on the carpet
Mar 14, 2006
779 posts
49 upvotes
Coquitlam
georvu wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 2:41 pm
Thanks.
Just wanted to find out if dealerships are discounting 2018 models and for trim most folks seem to want AWD but I think 2WD with winter tires is a good buy as well.
I am looking for a 2018 Honda CRV Touring here in Vancouver for a family member and I was just quoted from one Vancouver dealer $1,400 off MSRP of a 2018 CRV Touring with a $299 documentation fee with no other fees except the mandatory $125 air conditioner levy and the tire levy.
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
$299 doc fee sounds bogus to me unless required in Vancouver. In reality, dealer is giving you $1,101 off msrp by factoring in doc fee.

Stay focused on OTD for pricing...
Mar 14, 2006
779 posts
49 upvotes
Coquitlam
FilaGuy wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:17 pm
$299 doc fee sounds bogus to me unless required in Vancouver. In reality, dealer is giving you $1,101 off msrp by factoring in doc fee.

Stay focused on OTD for pricing...
How much off MSRP did you get off your 2018 LX 2 wheel drive excluding all mandatory government fees? That must be a very rare model you have I would imagine less than 5% of the CRV's sold in Canada are 2 wheel drive........
Dec 1, 2014
41 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I was about $1,290 below MSRP or when looking at it from a different angle, $600 over invoice. There are others who have achieved $500 above Invoice and maybe better. The deals are out there...actually these aren't even deals... just a little bit of negotiation should net you around $750 over invoice without really trying.

I don't know about the rarity of a 2WD model (I'm sure it's not as common) but I just couldn't justify the $2,800 premium to get AWD and Honda Sensing Technologies.

I do see plenty of Touring models on the road and can't imagine spending that much money on a depreciating asset. More importantly, the Canadian LX is WAY better than the US spec LX. Here's why:

1. Canada LX gets 1.5L turbo (US gets old 2.4L)
2. Canada LX gets digital dash (US get a standard dash found in most other cars)
3. Canada LX gets upgraded stereo (US gets a noticeably dated looking and crappier stereo with big knobs)
4. Canada LX gets painted mirrors and door handles (US gets black.... makes it look cheap!)
5. There's a few more but can't think of them... heated mirrors maybe..

I kinda derailed my reply with a rant on the LX :) It's all about the dollar and cents these days and I'm on a F.I.R.E. journey.. just not too hardcore!
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:00 pm
How much off MSRP did you get off your 2018 LX 2 wheel drive excluding all mandatory government fees? That must be a very rare model you have I would imagine less than 5% of the CRV's sold in Canada are 2 wheel drive........