• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 10:56 pm
Dec 16, 2014
792 posts
403 upvotes
Easter Island
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:19 am
Fine for lease, hard to resale if you buy out or finance. Folks prefer AWD in harsher Canadian cities that get snow here or there. And folks expect AWD when actively looking for a used CR-V.
awd is not necessary & resale isn't a big issue. CUVs like rav4 and crv have high resale value, fwd/awd is a small factor
Oct 29, 2006
757 posts
243 upvotes
karakoram wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:24 am
awd is not necessary & resale isn't a big issue. CUVs like rav4 and crv have high resale value, fwd/awd is a small factor
The LX FWD also lacks Honda Sensing and auto high beams.
Aug 27, 2006
221 posts
31 upvotes
Thoughts on this price in Calgary: 2017 CR-V Touring, Gunmetal Metallic, including winter tires on steel rims, lifetime tire swaps, all-season floor mats (high-wall), mandatory charges, block heater etc, and 5% GST for $42,100 on the road? The manager said they'd give me something like 10 free oil changes if I bought the extended warranty. Also mentioned that there is a 75% rebate on the extended warranty if no claim is made. Thanks!
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
Don't buy the extended warranty. Honda and the dealership make HUGE profits on extended warranties given the low likelihood they have to ever make good on it. Those 'free' tire changes are not free if you need to pay thousands for the extended warranty to get them! The 75% rebate is interesting. I bet they are also banking on people forgetting to claim the rebate many years later.

The totally sham 'Dealer Invoice Price' (which is not what dealers really pay as they get all kinds of incentives, dealer rebates and volume discounts) is $35,424 according to unhaggle.ca on this model. You are paying $38,230 when the 5% GST and $1,865 mandatory fees are backed out. That is $2,806 above DIP. Many report they have purchased the car at $600+ above DIP. So, you are really paying for those winter tires, lifetime tire swaps, mats and block heater and whatever the 'etc.' you refer to is.

I'd bargain a bit more but who knows if the market is not as competitive in Calgary due to fewer Honda dealers. For sure the economy is not as good as in Ontario. I heard from a dealer yesterday that sales have been very slow this month.

As for Gunmetal metallic, personal preference but i prefer the Modern Steel Metallic.
Last edited by JKrioo on Mar 17th, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 27, 2006
221 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks - I hope to get it at least a few hundred cheaper, but I don't think they'll budge beyond that. One of my buddies who went to the dealership with me figured a winter-tire package on 17" steel rims would cost me around $1400 and the floor mats can be bought online for about $200. Also, free tire swaps for a few years is about $500. So he said it makes it about $40,000 for just the CR-V...does that make sense tho?
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 1:00 pm
I think a dealer offered him an option to change the interior on a stock configuration for an upgrade. I feel like their blowing air up your a**.

It wouldn't make sense logistically for Honda to offer such an option, but if that's what you were promised. Cause they have to also change out the door inserts, console inserts and maybe the roof liner? to make it appear stock.

Midtown has a Blue with the Ivory interior, it looks good, but that Ivory will get stained quick either with kids or jeans.
No one EVER blows anything up my behind. What happens is the Honda factory has a 3rd party change out the leather after the car is manufactured with the black interior.
Last edited by JKrioo on Mar 17th, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
tagaravabha wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:33 am
Thanks - I hope to get it at least a few hundred cheaper, but I don't think they'll budge beyond that. One of my buddies who went to the dealership with me figured a winter-tire package on 17" steel rims would cost me around $1400 and the floor mats can be bought online for about $200. Also, free tire swaps for a few years is about $500. So he said it makes it about $40,000 for just the CR-V...does that make sense tho?
$2,806 less the MSRP totalling $2,100 on the accessories you quoted (you left out block heater) is $706 above DIP. However, the accessories are always discounted, not to mention the calculation has all the tire changes paid for years in advance. At 33% discount, say, the accessories should really be valued at about $1,400 or less so you are paying about $2,806 - $1,400 = $1,400 above DIP. Rebelrfd paid about 1% above DIP and got accessories at cost and if you did you'd be paying much less than you are:
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 10:45 pm
I got my Touring for 35903.42 before freight, pdi, and taxes.
For another even better comparison, I bought my CR-V Touring from an Ontario dealer at the DIP of $35,424 + $1,865 PDI + $4,848 = $42,137. I did not have a trade-in, did not buy any accessories or extended warranty and financed the cost less a $3K credit card down-payment (which made sense as I get 2% back cash on my Capital One Aspire credit card) with the 2-year 0.99% Honda financing offer which is fully open after 3 months.

You can do better but maybe Calgary dealers need to make more margin as sales are poor. On the other hand you'd think if sales were poor they'd do anything to get a deal. Perhaps there is just not enough competition out there?

To my CR-V Touring I am adding a Blackvue front and back dashcam which I will install myself, Weathertech 3d laser cut floor mats and a dashboard magnetic smartphone holder.
Last edited by JKrioo on Mar 17th, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 27, 2006
221 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks again - I've PM'd you to pick your brain a bit more...!
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
tagaravabha wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 5:45 pm
Thanks again - I've PM'd you to pick your brain a bit more...!
No problem. Sent you one back. Happy to help!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2501 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
JKrioo wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:39 pm
$2,806 less the MSRP totalling $2,100 on the accessories you quoted (you left out block heater) is $706 above DIP. However, the accessories are always discounted, not to mention the calculation has all the tire changes paid for years in advance. At 33% discount, say, the accessories should really be valued at about $1,400 or less so you are paying about $2,806 - $1,400 = $1,400 above DIP. Rebelrfd paid about 1% above DIP and got accessories at cost and if you did you'd be paying much less than you are:

For another even better comparison, I bought my CR-V Touring from an Ontario dealer at the DIP of $35,424 + $1,865 PDI + $4,848 = $42,137. I did not have a trade-in, did not buy any accessories or extended warranty and financed the cost less a $3K credit card down-payment (which made sense as I get 2% back cash on my Capital One Aspire credit card) with the 2-year 0.99% Honda financing offer which is fully open after 3 months.

You can do better but maybe Calgary dealers need to make more margin as sales are poor. On the other hand you'd think if sales were poor they'd do anything to get a deal. Perhaps there is just not enough competition out there?

To my CR-V Touring I am adding a Blackvue front and back dashcam which I will install myself, Weathertech 3d laser cut floor mats and a dashboard magnetic smartphone holder.
My deal was updated since I took delivery in March instead of January. There was a mixup due to the original color plus waiting until March. I also had ordered as soon as the CR-V was put into the system, a day before Honda.ca options were available.

I shopped around five Honda dealerships before I went to my "go-to" dealership, just to get an idea of what was possible/reasonable.

My Touring cost was $33867 + Freight + PDI + Taxes. I don't think it matters to list the cost of my interest since I qualifed for Honda Loyalty as this is my third Honda with them, and secondly actively being financed. Plus, you get one percent less as long as one car is being financed or leased at that address. I tend to keep one vehicle in active payments for future purchases.

I don't think Weathertech has the rears yet, at least I can't seem to find them on the site. I went with Honda OEM All Weather since the rear is a complete piece, so not a two piece like before. Plus any accessory installed on the car during delivery is covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper. And if you get extended, it gets extended also.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2501 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
tagaravabha wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:51 am
Thoughts on this price in Calgary: 2017 CR-V Touring, Gunmetal Metallic, including winter tires on steel rims, lifetime tire swaps, all-season floor mats (high-wall), mandatory charges, block heater etc, and 5% GST for $42,100 on the road? The manager said they'd give me something like 10 free oil changes if I bought the extended warranty. Also mentioned that there is a 75% rebate on the extended warranty if no claim is made. Thanks!
Isn't block heater a mandatory feature in Alberta? I don't think they are charging extra for that.

Extended Warranty is fine if you understand how the gross margin on these plans work. If you haggle them down on the price of the plan for the term you are picking up to 30 to 40% off, then it is worthwhile.
Oct 8, 2009
27 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Hi Rebel_rfd your touring cost was $33,867 vs MRSP of $38,090 so you got it over $4K cheaper?? Did you have a trade in? Which dealer did that for you? Am interested in the same car. Thanks
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:54 pm
My deal was updated since I took delivery in March instead of January. There was a mixup due to the original color plus waiting until March. I also had ordered as soon as the CR-V was put into the system, a day before Honda.ca options were available.

I shopped around five Honda dealerships before I went to my "go-to" dealership, just to get an idea of what was possible/reasonable.

My Touring cost was $33867 + Freight + PDI + Taxes. I don't think it matters to list the cost of my interest since I qualifed for Honda Loyalty as this is my third Honda with them, and secondly actively being financed. Plus, you get one percent less as long as one car is being financed or leased at that address. I tend to keep one vehicle in active payments for future purchases.
Funny, in post #240 you stated you paid $35,903.42 + Freight + PDI + Taxes and now suddenly you are saying you paid much less and, remarkably, well below even the dealer invoice price of $35,424. Which is it?
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:54 pm
I don't think Weathertech has the rears yet, at least I can't seem to find them on the site. I went with Honda OEM All Weather since the rear is a complete piece, so not a two piece like before. Plus any accessory installed on the car during delivery is covered under the 3 year bumper to bumper. And if you get extended, it gets extended also.
I'm switching to the Husky floor matts as they have all 4 available now, which WT does not. Also, the Husky rear is one piece just like Honda. I like that both Husky & WT go right under the pedals which Honda do not apparently.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2501 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
JKrioo wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:45 pm
Funny, in post #240 you stated you paid $35,903.42 + Freight + PDI + Taxes and now suddenly you are saying you paid much less and, remarkably, well below even the dealer invoice price of $35,424. Which is it?

I'm switching to the Husky floor matts as they have all 4 available now, which WT does not. Also, the Husky rear is one piece just like Honda. I like that both Husky & WT go right under the pedals which Honda do not apparently.

It would be the latter as I'm aware of what I posted.

When you buy more than one vehicle from the same dealership, they tend to recognize the loyalty and continued business. It also helps to point to that history when they mess up.

I'm not sure why there is so much speculation in your reply? I've also posted where I got my vehicle from, no mystery.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
82 upvotes
Newmarket
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:59 pm
It would be the latter as I'm aware of what I posted.

When you buy more than one vehicle from the same dealership, they tend to recognize the loyalty and continued business. It also helps to point to that history when they mess up.

I'm not sure why there is so much speculation in your reply? I've also posted where I got my vehicle from, no mystery.
Of course there is speculation when you first say
rebel_rfd wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 10:45 pm
I got my Touring for 35903.42 before freight, pdi, and taxes.
Then you say paid a lower price, even much lower than dealer invoice price.

I'm not the only one wondering about your story...