• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2017 6:41 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1372 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
You're the only that has mentioned it, regardless, a few people PM'ed since you're declining to provide information on who your dealer is for your CR-V.

I've answered those PMs, but every deal will be different. I think it's fair to let folks try and negotiate at a dealership for themselves.

Providing them info on who your dealership was would help someone else try and negotiate the same or similar deal.

I paid much lower than dealer invoice since there was a mix-up with color after the original agreement.

I also added the extended warranty and rust proofing since I am not a fan of Krown and don't mind spending extra for rustproofing if it comes down to the cost of Krown for the term of my finance agreement. That's my personal preference. I rather have Honda inspect for the yearly rustproofing during an oil change instead of driving it to Krown once a year.

I haggled down the cost of the extended warranty since I'm aware of their mark-up, however, most people still feel it's a "sham." I feel peace of mind knowing I'm covered outside of the one year or three year terms for the electronics in the Touring package.

If it's a matter of a core vehicle purchase, you probably got the better deal. You should help others on this site with providing dealership information via PM or through a post. Sharing doesn't mean guaranteeing them the same deal.
Jan 29, 2017
13 posts
3 upvotes
I agree! Each deal is unique and some dealerships change their targets on a regular basis so there is a chance of getting a deal one day and not the next.

My deal for 2017 Honda CRV was close to invoice price after visiting various dealerships within GTA.
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 5:31 pm
You're the only that has mentioned it, regardless, a few people PM'ed since you're declining to provide information on who your dealer is for your CR-V.

I've answered those PMs, but every deal will be different. I think it's fair to let folks try and negotiate at a dealership for themselves.

Providing them info on who your dealership was would help someone else try and negotiate the same or similar deal.

I paid much lower than dealer invoice since there was a mix-up with color after the original agreement.

I also added the extended warranty and rust proofing since I am not a fan of Krown and don't mind spending extra for rustproofing if it comes down to the cost of Krown for the term of my finance agreement. That's my personal preference. I rather have Honda inspect for the yearly rustproofing during an oil change instead of driving it to Krown once a year.

I haggled down the cost of the extended warranty since I'm aware of their mark-up, however, most people still feel it's a "sham." I feel peace of mind knowing I'm covered outside of the one year or three year terms for the electronics in the Touring package.

If it's a matter of a core vehicle purchase, you probably got the better deal. You should help others on this site with providing dealership information via PM or through a post. Sharing doesn't mean guaranteeing them the same deal.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
80 upvotes
Newmarket
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 5:31 pm

After I mentioned the discrepancy in your story there was no need for others to do that same. That's why I was the only one who mentioned it.

I am not giving out the dealership information for 3 reasons:

1. I do not think it is fair to the dealer or salesperson there for me to post the dealership information and have them deluged with people asking for dealer price which is exactly what people will do. Of course it won't guarantee them the same deal but given I was just some guy walking in off the street without any special relationship like you it just might,

2. I received the price I got as a result of a lot of running around, emailing, visiting and negotiating with dealers which was quite time consuming. I don't see why people I don't even know should benefit from my hard work.

3. Most importantly, I promised the dealer I would not advertise on the Internet that that they were the ones who gave me this deal and I am a man of my word and so I will not do that, even anonymously like you have. I am sure your dealer would not be happy knowing you spilled the beans on them.

I did my part in letting others know what is achievable. That in itself is very useful information which should help a lot of buyers unlike your information which is only peculiar to your particular situation because of your multiple Honda purchases.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
80 upvotes
Newmarket
iphoneeee wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:11 pm
I agree! Each deal is unique and some dealerships change their targets on a regular basis so there is a chance of getting a deal one day and not the next.

My deal for 2017 Honda CRV was close to invoice price after visiting various dealerships within GTA.
How close?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2614 posts
146 upvotes
JKrioo wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:37 am
After I mentioned the discrepancy in your story there was no need for others to do that same. That's why I was the only one who mentioned it.

I am not giving out the dealership information for 3 reasons:

1. I do not think it is fair to the dealer or salesperson there for me to post the dealership information and have them deluged with people asking for dealer price which is exactly what people will do. Of course it won't guarantee them the same deal but given I was just some guy walking in off the street without any special relationship like you it just might,

2. I received the price I got as a result of a lot of running around, emailing, visiting and negotiating with dealers which was quite time consuming. I don't see why people I don't even know should benefit from my hard work.

3. Most importantly, I promised the dealer I would not advertise on the Internet that that they were the ones who gave me this deal and I am a man of my word and so I will not do that, even anonymously like you have. I am sure your dealer would not be happy knowing you spilled the beans on them.

I did my part in letting others know what is achievable. That in itself is very useful information which should help a lot of buyers unlike your information which is only peculiar to your particular situation because of your multiple Honda purchases.
Your a great guy . Thanks for your help and input .
Oct 29, 2006
709 posts
234 upvotes
Has anyone considered a Forester and ended up getting this CR-V? If so, why?

I'm tossing and turning between the two. The tech and interior layout is better in the V, but the Forester nails the practical side of the equation - better ride and handling, infinitely more visibility and much better interior trim quality. What struck me as quite disconcerting (coming from the third gen EX-L V) is the really cheap feeling interior plastic, even on the Touring trim. The leather grade difference is also night and day. Even my ancient V has a thicker, softer grain. In comparison, sitting inside the Forester feels like a premium, upmarket car. I'm not trying to troll or anything, but spending $40K to me equates to something better, though I may have unrealistic expectations.

Infotainment, remote start, etc. are all very nice and the engine feels peppy on the V, but the suspension on the Forester makes the car feel like it's gliding on pavement, while to be honest, the V felt better though not that much more than mine.

Thoughts?
Nov 29, 2013
381 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
philharmonic wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:34 am
Has anyone considered a Forester and ended up getting this CR-V? If so, why?

I'm tossing and turning between the two. The tech and interior layout is better in the V, but the Forester nails the practical side of the equation - better ride and handling, infinitely more visibility and much better interior trim quality. What struck me as quite disconcerting (coming from the third gen EX-L V) is the really cheap feeling interior plastic, even on the Touring trim. The leather grade difference is also night and day. Even my ancient V has a thicker, softer grain. In comparison, sitting inside the Forester feels like a premium, upmarket car. I'm not trying to troll or anything, but spending $40K to me equates to something better, though I may have unrealistic expectations.

Infotainment, remote start, etc. are all very nice and the engine feels peppy on the V, but the suspension on the Forester makes the car feel like it's gliding on pavement, while to be honest, the V felt better though not that much more than mine.

Thoughts?
Why do you say CRV has better tech? Forester has eyesight, nothing better than that. Also interior lay out is kinda subjective, I think the speedometer layout and placement of gear shifting is very ugly in CRV.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1035 posts
242 upvotes
Finally! Alex on Autos, the best reviewer on YouTube imho has finally published his review of the CR-V. He is always worth checking out.
Oct 29, 2006
709 posts
234 upvotes
brucen36 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:08 pm
Why do you say CRV has better tech? Forester has eyesight, nothing better than that. Also interior lay out is kinda subjective, I think the speedometer layout and placement of gear shifting is very ugly in CRV.
I don't know how much better EyeSight is compared to Honda Sensing, but Honda includes it as standard on every trim, except for the FWD LX. Honda also includes CarPlay and a remote starter (same FOB as car) integrated with the HVAC system and outside temperature sensor. No rear vents or rear USB ports on the Forester, and while it does have that nice big sunroof, Honda offers a pano roof on the Touring trim.

The pro list for the Subaru is much larger, but it's not entirely tech related and I don't want to make this a Forester vs. V thread. I just wanted to see if I was out to lunch with my opinion on the chintzy plastic in the V.
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
80 upvotes
Newmarket
philharmonic wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:57 pm
I don't know how much better EyeSight is compared to Honda Sensing, but Honda includes it as standard on every trim, except for the FWD LX. Honda also includes CarPlay and a remote starter (same FOB as car) integrated with the HVAC system and outside temperature sensor. No rear vents or rear USB ports on the Forester, and while it does have that nice big sunroof, Honda offers a pano roof on the Touring trim.

The pro list for the Subaru is much larger, but it's not entirely tech related and I don't want to make this a Forester vs. V thread. I just wanted to see if I was out to lunch with my opinion on the chintzy plastic in the V.
I keep my cars for a VERY long time, I did a very extensive analysis of compact SUVs before I settled on the CR-V Touring. I watched a lot of review and comparison videos, went to the Toronto Car Show in Feb, sat in all the competition and also took test drives at dealers. I compared features on a spreadsheet. The CR-V is not perfect (no car is) but all-in-all I found it was the best most feature-packed car for the money of any car out there and one which met every one of my needs. I like the look and feel both inside and out and the reputation Honda has for building great cars. The CR-V does not top a lot of the comparison charts for nothing and is not one of the most successful and selling SUV's on the market for nothing. Alex on Auto's (link in post 502) has a great review of the car and in the latter part of the video compares a lot of the CR-V's metrics against the competition. Well worth watching.

Everyone is different and maybe the car will not be the best one for you but it sure was for me. Good luck with your decision!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1619 posts
197 upvotes
Red Deer
I know the comparison came up earlier that I thought I'll throw in my two cents as far as the Eyesight system on Subaru is concerned, for those who are interested.

My wife has a 2016 Forester Limited edition 2.5i with Tech package and while it's a great vehicle, especially for winter driving (fantastic visibility, handling and ground clearance) I was quite disappointed by the Eyesight system:

1. Anytime the sun is down and in your face, the Eyesight system shuts down, understandably. But what is unfortunate is it shuts down the cruise control functionality entirely. It would have been good if Subaru had a fall back to basic cruise control if the eyesight system is nonfunctional.

2. It really has a tough time seeing large semis on the highway when following traffic during cruise control. Cars and smaller trucks are no problem.

3. On cold winter days, persisting exhaust from the vehicle in front would fool the system into thinking there's an object there and it will apply emergency braking even after the vehicle ahead has long gone.

4. Generally the system is pretty slow to react to traffic moving in and out of your lane or traffic that is slowing or speeding up in your lane ahead.

5. If you get a windshield crack in a certain area, it will impact the eyesight system. And if the windshield needs replacing then an Eyesight calibration is needed that is ~$300 and is not typically covered by insurance.

I'm probably forgetting a few more issues but I hope Subaru addresses these in the future. I had heard that the 2017, or maybe the upcoming 2018 model, the Eyesight system is much improved.
Nov 29, 2013
381 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
^^^ Wow this is really strange. I have never had any of those effects ever with the Subaru eyesight. However, I have the 2017 eyesight which has been upgraded to gen3 which could account for the differences. The only time the eyesight has ever shutdown for me was during the worst blizzard of the year when visibility was almost nil. The best thing I like about the eyesight is in stop and go traffic the car basically drives itself. Not sure the Honda or even Toyota sensing can do that.
Oct 29, 2006
709 posts
234 upvotes
brucen36 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 6:46 pm
^^^ Wow this is really strange. I have never had any of those effects ever with the Subaru eyesight. However, I have the 2017 eyesight which has been upgraded to gen3 which could account for the differences. The only time the eyesight has ever shutdown for me was during the worst blizzard of the year when visibility was almost nil. The best thing I like about the eyesight is in stop and go traffic the car basically drives itself. Not sure the Honda or even Toyota sensing can do that.
Honda Sensing has what they call the "low speed follow" option, which is what you're describing. Too bad neither system resumes automatically from full stop. You need to press the cruise control RES button on both systems. Not sure about Toyota.

Good to hear about the improved 3gen system though.
Jan 31, 2008
67 posts
15 upvotes
Drove the car for a week, here are a few personal experiences on small things that often not mentioned by online reviewers
- New CRV has much better visibility than previous year models.
- Buttons and controls are well placed
- Instrument Console display design is awful. I dislike the engine temperature gauge and fuel tank gauge especially.
- Windshield washer spray is still crappy. It's more like a fountain rather than a spray. The spray covers much smaller glasses than the other cars I drove (and again, it's not a fine spray, rather a fountain-like.

Also, just a reminder that Canadian trim levels have better features than its US counterpart. While EX is the most popular trim in the States, LX AWD is best value for canadian IMHO. Canadian LX has turbo engine, most important features that only seen on US EX model and above (safety features, driving assisting features, climate control etc.).
Oct 29, 2006
709 posts
234 upvotes
JKrioo wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:27 am
I keep my cars for a VERY long time, I did a very extensive analysis of compact SUVs before I settled on the CR-V Touring. I watched a lot of review and comparison videos, went to the Toronto Car Show in Feb, sat in all the competition and also took test drives at dealers. I compared features on a spreadsheet. The CR-V is not perfect (no car is) but all-in-all I found it was the best most feature-packed car for the money of any car out there and one which met every one of my needs. I like the look and feel both inside and out and the reputation Honda has for building great cars. The CR-V does not top a lot of the comparison charts for nothing and is not one of the most successful and selling SUV's on the market for nothing. Alex on Auto's (link in post 502) has a great review of the car and in the latter part of the video compares a lot of the CR-V's metrics against the competition. Well worth watching.

Everyone is different and maybe the car will not be the best one for you but it sure was for me. Good luck with your decision!
That's the thing. I also intend to keep the new car for about 10 years and based on the quality of the plastic, my initial gut feeling was that this thing would creak like crazy in 5 years. I realize there's no way to predict this, nor is there a way to guarantee that a competing car would not pose the exact same issues.

On paper though, you're right - the 2017 CR-V is a very compelling choice. I may in fact still choose it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel