• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2017 12:16 pm
Feb 7, 2008
564 posts
178 upvotes
At this point I would probably wait for 2017 CX5 and test drive them the same day... maybe even wait and check a new Tiguan
Jan 10, 2016
101 posts
65 upvotes
Newmarket
Prof wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:55 pm
Finally! Alex on Autos, the best reviewer on YouTube imho has finally published his review of the CR-V. He is always worth checking out.
Yes that's probably the best video review (and also the longest) of the CR-V I have seen and I have watched many of them and read many reviews. One of the best parts is how he compares it against other cars using with visual overlays.
Jan 10, 2016
101 posts
65 upvotes
Newmarket
philharmonic wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:33 pm
That's the thing. I also intend to keep the new car for about 10 years and based on the quality of the plastic, my initial gut feeling was that this thing would creak like crazy in 5 years. I realize there's no way to predict this, nor is there a way to guarantee that a competing car would not pose the exact same issues.

On paper though, you're right - the 2017 CR-V is a very compelling choice. I may in fact still choose it.
I have never heard reports of other Honda cars creaking at all, not to mention any cars really. For the car to creak like crazy as you suggest the plastic would have to be orders of magnitude inferior to what you see in the 2017 CR-V. Also, creaking is generally not caused by the quality of the plastic but the fit of parts together, many of which are not plastic.

The problem of creaking cars was licked many decades ago. Even the Chevy Bolt, which has a really cheap interior, will likely not creak like crazy after many years.
Jul 1, 2007
4 posts
Toronto, Ontario
philharmonic wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:33 pm
That's the thing. I also intend to keep the new car for about 10 years and based on the quality of the plastic, my initial gut feeling was that this thing would creak like crazy in 5 years. I realize there's no way to predict this, nor is there a way to guarantee that a competing car would not pose the exact same issues.

On paper though, you're right - the 2017 CR-V is a very compelling choice. I may in fact still choose it.
It doesn't matter the quality of the plastics. My crappy 2003 civic barely has a rattle when my 2003 VW golf had an interior 3 times the material quality of the civic. It rattled like crazy and the plastic pins holding the interior together disintegrated year by year. Panels were loose headliner by the door peeling off. And the noises were everywhere. Especially on cold mornings. Had a constant buzz for 3 mins until warmed up.

One example but it really doesn't matter the materials more so the engineering/quality to keep them in place over the years.
Oct 29, 2006
656 posts
206 upvotes
Oenarmedmidget wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:19 am
It doesn't matter the quality of the plastics. My crappy 2003 civic barely has a rattle when my 2003 VW golf had an interior 3 times the material quality of the civic. It rattled like crazy and the plastic pins holding the interior together disintegrated year by year. Panels were loose headliner by the door peeling off. And the noises were everywhere. Especially on cold mornings. Had a constant buzz for 3 mins until warmed up.

One example but it really doesn't matter the materials more so the engineering/quality to keep them in place over the years.
Well, I have a different experience with my '07 CRV EX-L, the plastic is a tad creaky in the winter. Nothing too bad and only started last year, but still disconcerting. The car is telling me to upgrade :D

How is everyone liking Honda Sensing? Is the fact that some of the HVAC is in the screen annoying?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1601 posts
183 upvotes
Red Deer
brucen36 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 6:46 pm
^^^ Wow this is really strange. I have never had any of those effects ever with the Subaru eyesight. However, I have the 2017 eyesight which has been upgraded to gen3 which could account for the differences. The only time the eyesight has ever shutdown for me was during the worst blizzard of the year when visibility was almost nil. The best thing I like about the eyesight is in stop and go traffic the car basically drives itself. Not sure the Honda or even Toyota sensing can do that.
Yeah that may well be the case. I read somewhere that 2017 Foresters got the upgraded Eyesight (gen 3?) but I haven't been able to dig up anything official. All 2017 Forester reviews I've seen have indicated that the system works as advertised so that's pretty reassuring.
Feb 15, 2013
196 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
can anyone comment about CRV's AWD system? I hear that it is poor compared within its segment..
Oct 14, 2009
314 posts
36 upvotes
AnthonyL140 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:58 am
Hey guy got a quote for 30k all in for crv LX fWD.

Apparently this is a great price, any opinions?
where was your quote from (province)?

got quoted for $30,560 out the road (all season mats included) at marv jones Vancouver
Apr 15, 2012
62 posts
56 upvotes
timduncan wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 7:35 pm
where was your quote from (province)?

got quoted for $30,560 out the road (all season mats included) at marv jones Vancouver
thats pretty good. i got my lx fwd from marv jones for 30450 without the all weather mats
Aug 27, 2006
192 posts
24 upvotes
On a different note, what is the best online Canadian retailer for good-quality aftermarket accessories for the 2017 CR-V? I am looking for a rear cargo mat (high-wall), running boards, and wheel locks.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel