• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 6:41 pm
Apr 15, 2012
121 posts
91 upvotes
JimboD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 3:02 am
Hey Pete! I was skeptical about seat covers too because of the airbags. However, I came across these ones: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073F7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Those were posted by someone else in a Honda forum I came across. Not fully wrapping around. I get them on Monday, so will give them a whirl and will report back on how they go.

I have looked into the stock tires of the Honda CRV - Bridgestone Ecopia - I notice they aren't the best rated for rain & snow (according to some review websites). Living on the west coast (Vancouver Island)....I am debating whether to get proper snow tires or not. Normally we don't face a whole lot of snow, but last year and apparently this year we will have more of a winter than usual (possible of having some good snow falls). It is even snowing as I type this and I just went out to test the CRV out in this wet snow that I am getting (about 2-3 inches of wet snow). The CRV performed well, it slipped a bit going down a big hill, going up hill was no problemo... Although it didn't face huge issues, but going downhill made me think whether I should get proper snow tires... WITH THAT BEING SAID, now that winter is arriving, did anyone switch to winter tires?? What kind? and how much did they cost?

I was hoping to get by this winter, but the following winter (when my finances are looking a bit better) I was planning on getting winter tires on their own set of rims. Or maybe I should just step up to the plate this winter and get them snow tires.

I have 11,000kms on the current stock tires.
My crv also has the Bridgestones and I tried them in the snow in vancouver when it snowed in March. They actually did fine up a long hill. It's to be expected for brand new tires though. I got winter tires after vancouvers crazy winter last year. 235 65 R17 Michelin Latitude X-Ice 2 on steel rims from Costco. Only used them in dry and rain so far but they're actually quieter than the Bridgestone. And fuel economy is the same.
Steel rims are 300 incl tax, 60 to mount. Michelin has a 70 rebate if you get them now. I got my tires from the States at discount tire direct for really cheap but ymmv.... I didn't get taxed at border and got extra 20% off when I complained about the tires bring old. Ended up being around 115 cdn a tire.
Mar 4, 2008
208 posts
20 upvotes
BC
joe047 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:29 am
My crv also has the Bridgestones and I tried them in the snow in vancouver when it snowed in March. They actually did fine up a long hill. It's to be expected for brand new tires though. I got winter tires after vancouvers crazy winter last year. 235 65 R17 Michelin Latitude X-Ice 2 on steel rims from Costco. Only used them in dry and rain so far but they're actually quieter than the Bridgestone. And fuel economy is the same.
Steel rims are 300 incl tax, 60 to mount. Michelin has a 70 rebate if you get them now. I got my tires from the States at discount tire direct for really cheap but ymmv.... I didn't get taxed at border and got extra 20% off when I complained about the tires bring old. Ended up being around 115 cdn a tire.
Sweet deal. After doing some reading, I'm at 90% sure that I will get some winter tires. I figured this year I wouldn't or I would have gotten winter tires way back before the winter tire rush started. Now I am last minute winter tire shopping, shit.

Thanks for the response! Those X-Ice Xi2 look like they have good reviews!
Oct 6, 2006
104 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
JimboD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:39 am
Sweet deal. After doing some reading, I'm at 90% sure that I will get some winter tires. I figured this year I wouldn't or I would have gotten winter tires way back before the winter tire rush started. Now I am last minute winter tire shopping, shit.

Replied to your post on the CRVOC forum and saw that you posted here too.

I bought Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2 tires (235/65R17) and had them mounted on 17" steel rims. Changed them myself this Friday and they are very quiet.

The price I paid was $1,106.00 all taxes included, plus I also get $70 back from Michelin with their winter promo. Went and also got some 17" hubcaps from eBay so they look a little better than just the black steel rims.

IMG_8843.jpg
IMG_8844.jpg
IMG_8845.jpg
IMG_8846.jpg
IMG_8850.jpg
IMG_8851.jpg
Mar 4, 2008
208 posts
20 upvotes
BC
henry865 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:50 pm
Replied to your post on the CRVOC forum and saw that you posted here too.

I bought Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2 tires (235/65R17) and had them mounted on 17" steel rims. Changed them myself this Friday and they are very quiet.

The price I paid was $1,106.00 all taxes included, plus I also get $70 back from Michelin with their winter promo. Went and also got some 17" hubcaps from eBay so they look a little better than just the black steel rims.

IMG_8843.jpgIMG_8844.jpgIMG_8845.jpgIMG_8846.jpgIMG_8850.jpgIMG_8851.jpg
Sweet, looks pretty good! I am going to buy the Michelins....however, looks like the steel wheels are on back order. Shit.

I am assuming the costco guys installed the TPMS packages and then you had to do a reset for the TPMS via the settings on the touch screen? (Following the manual)

Does anyone know what hubcentric v.s. universal? Looking at the costco steel wheels list, there are these two options. 2 of the workers at costco didn't know what the difference was...

https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCA ... t-2017.pdf
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2199 posts
397 upvotes
Kingston
JimboD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:42 pm
Sweet, looks pretty good! I am going to buy the Michelins....however, looks like the steel wheels are on back order. Shit.

I am assuming the costco guys installed the TPMS packages and then you had to do a reset for the TPMS via the settings on the touch screen? (Following the manual)

Does anyone know what hubcentric v.s. universal? Looking at the costco steel wheels list, there are these two options. 2 of the workers at costco didn't know what the difference was...

Just an FYI the Honda steel rims are about $20 more than the Costco ones. Less if you can swing a deal with your local dealer. Costco rims are fine but along with the long waits for installation there I went with the Honda dealer we bought our car from.
Oct 6, 2006
104 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
JimboD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:42 pm

I didn't get mine at Costco. They were more expensive than the tire place my family buys their tires. Check tire places first as you will probably get way better prices especially with package deals and paying with cash.

You don't need the TPMS package at all with the 2017 CR-V as the monitoring system doesn't use the valve stems in the tire to monitor as in the previous models. All you need to do is calibrate the TPMS in the settings on the touchscreen.

Go with hub centric steel rims. Hub centric basically means the rims are using the hub to support the weight of the rims, it will fit like OEM rims. Universal rims fit many different vehicles and usually have the weight supported on the wheel studs which is not ideal. Incredible that the tire techs at Costco didn't know the difference....... :rolleyes:
Nov 4, 2017
3 posts
go_habs wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 6:53 pm
OK took the plunge today, white ex financed total all in $36337.17. I think it was a great deal, as I left a Friend of mine was looking for a AWD LX the guy gave me a price of $32750. My buddy came in and signed the deal today too. Thanks Number 7 Honda! Glad its done!
Could you pls PM me who the salesman is?
I'm going to buy LX AWD for my wife :)
Thanks!
Mar 4, 2008
208 posts
20 upvotes
BC
JC69 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:51 pm
Just an FYI the Honda steel rims are about $20 more than the Costco ones. Less if you can swing a deal with your local dealer. Costco rims are fine but along with the long waits for installation there I went with the Honda dealer we bought our car from.
I was just was looking at the Honda websites to see how much they charge...I might fill out a quote and see what the have to offer.

Buying from costco, I was thinking of their warranty.
Dec 1, 2014
32 posts
11 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I closed the deal on a 2018 CR-V this week with delivery end of November/early December.

I shopped at a few dealers in the GTA working to get as close to invoice and best bang for the buck on my trade-in.

This thread helped a lot so thanks to everyone! Now time to shop for winter mats, clear film on hood, rust proof, etc... I'm still thinking about the Honda extended warranty but pricing seems high.
Jun 20, 2012
97 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My touring is my first new car so first time getting Roadside Assistance coverage from Honda. Is anyone getting say CAA or Canadian tire Roadside on top?
May 28, 2007
240 posts
51 upvotes
Peterborough
btcoma wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:58 am
My touring is my first new car so first time getting Roadside Assistance coverage from Honda. Is anyone getting say CAA or Canadian tire Roadside on top?
Do the others offer something that Honda does not cover you for?
Jun 20, 2012
97 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
One thing that stands out is Caa and CT tows you to the location of your choice and up to 250km...something I have to verify for all three services.

Do you have experience with HRA?
Curioprop wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:57 am
Do the others offer something that Honda does not cover you for?
May 17, 2017
134 posts
83 upvotes
Waterloo
JimboD wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:39 am

I bought a new RAV4 FWD for my family in Vancouver a couple months ago.
We didn't want to deal with the hassle of two sets of tires and rims, but wanted winter tire capability.
Instead of snow tires, we opted to put on all weather tires (winter tires meant to be driven all year round) - super popular in Washington, Oregon, Lower Mainland.
Consumer Reports says they're as good as a mid-high end winter tire.

Models include
- Nokian WRG3 (kaltire only), Norman WR (kaltire only as well, basically the WRG2)
- Toyo Celsius
- Goodyear WeatherReady
- Kumho Solus HA31

Hope this help.
Mar 4, 2008
208 posts
20 upvotes
BC
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:29 pm
I bought a new RAV4 FWD for my family in Vancouver a couple months ago.
We didn't want to deal with the hassle of two sets of tires and rims, but wanted winter tire capability.
Instead of snow tires, we opted to put on all weather tires (winter tires meant to be driven all year round) - super popular in Washington, Oregon, Lower Mainland.
Consumer Reports says they're as good as a mid-high end winter tire.

Models include
- Nokian WRG3 (kaltire only), Norman WR (kaltire only as well, basically the WRG2)
- Toyo Celsius
- Goodyear WeatherReady
- Kumho Solus HA31

Hope this help.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I currently have all season mud & snow rated tires on the CRV. However, they aren't the best in winter conditions. Looks like the Michelin Latitude X-ice2 are no longer available through costco. Yikes.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
JimboD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it. I currently have all season mud & snow rated tires on the CRV. However, they aren't the best in winter conditions. Looks like the Michelin Latitude X-ice2 are no longer available through costco. Yikes.
Don't get hung up on tire names. They will change the name to make people think it is something new.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?