• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 3:10 am
Apr 15, 2012
118 posts
91 upvotes
JimboD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:33 pm
Thanks, I appreciate it. I currently have all season mud & snow rated tires on the CRV. However, they aren't the best in winter conditions. Looks like the Michelin Latitude X-ice2 are no longer available through costco. Yikes.
they're probably out of stock. lots of people are ordering them due to the rebate right now
Jun 27, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
FilaGuy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:06 am
I closed the deal on a 2018 CR-V this week with delivery end of November/early December.

I shopped at a few dealers in the GTA working to get as close to invoice and best bang for the buck on my trade-in.

This thread helped a lot so thanks to everyone! Now time to shop for winter mats, clear film on hood, rust proof, etc... I'm still thinking about the Honda extended warranty but pricing seems high.
Hi FilaGuy, I am also looking to buy either a 2017 or 2018 CR-V EX. would you like to share your deal with us. how much over the invoice price you paid. Dealer / salesperson, if finance, what was the rate. your Final on the road price.
Please PM me if you like.
Mar 4, 2008
207 posts
20 upvotes
BC
joe047 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:25 pm
they're probably out of stock. lots of people are ordering them due to the rebate right now
Ya, they just came back in stock. I ordered some. However, the rims are back-ordered...although Canadian Tire has some steel rims in stock at a store nearby, so I was considering going to go pick those up.

Also, a Canadian Tire that is in a different town that I am going to this weekend has the Michelin tires in stock at their location. If they are there still, I might pick them up...the Michelin tires are $60 cheaper than Costco + the Canadian Tire money...so I figure if I go that route, I would just take the tires & wheels to Costco and get them to install them.
Mar 17, 2016
367 posts
257 upvotes
How's the AWD on this new generation CRV? Is it adequate with good snow tires?

I've heard that the generation before had very weak AWD system but apparently they've improved.

I'm torn right now between CRV and Forester XT.

Forester is quicker and has much better AWD system but CRV is cheaper and ticks pretty much all the boxes for me.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9762 upvotes
How's the ACC with LSF on the new CRV?

Also, how is the CVT?

Most Honda's come with CVT now and newer ones have the low speed follow, which is interesting.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2650 posts
73 upvotes
viper791 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:57 pm
Hi FilaGuy, I am also looking to buy either a 2017 or 2018 CR-V EX. would you like to share your deal with us. how much over the invoice price you paid. Dealer / salesperson, if finance, what was the rate. your Final on the road price.
Please PM me if you like.
Would love to know also. Might be pulling the trigger tonight, dealer offered invoice +720 so would be good to know what others are getting.
Apr 15, 2012
118 posts
91 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:55 am

Also, how is the CVT?

Most Honda's come with CVT now and newer ones have the low speed follow, which is interesting.
I don't have ACC or LSF but the cvt in the crv is very good. It's quiet when not under load and throttle response is pretty much instant since no downshifting. Stomping on gas or going up a hill hard will produce noise tho....but that may also be symptom of a small engine. It took me a while to get used to the car not downshifting. Thought I was going slower than I actually was. It's pretty smooth. I prefer it to a regular automatic.... I had a 4 speed in my old Mazda 6 and the gear shifts were super rough
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9762 upvotes
Thanks Joe. Does your CRV have the 1.5T or is it still the naturally aspirated?

If I can't afford the new Accord used, maybe a used 2016 or later Civic 1.5T will do, lol.

Good thing Honda seems to have sorted the CVT mess in the 2013/14 Accords.
Apr 15, 2012
118 posts
91 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:16 am
Thanks Joe. Does your CRV have the 1.5T or is it still the naturally aspirated?

If I can't afford the new Accord used, maybe a used 2016 or later Civic 1.5T will do, lol.

Good thing Honda seems to have sorted the CVT mess in the 2013/14 Accords.
Yeah i read a lot about the CVT issues in older crvs as well and i drove the nissan rogue with the cvt. Thankfully the new CRV doesnt seem to have any of the same issues as the old models. and it is lightyears ahead of the rogue's awful CVT. the Rogue just drones on and on.

Im from canada so i have the 1.5 turbo. All canadian CRV's come with the 1.5 turbo....only the LX trim in USA has the 2.4L NA engine
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8206 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
joe047 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:10 am
I don't have ACC or LSF but the cvt in the crv is very good. It's quiet when not under load and throttle response is pretty much instant since no downshifting. Stomping on gas or going up a hill hard will produce noise tho....but that may also be symptom of a small engine. It took me a while to get used to the car not downshifting. Thought I was going slower than I actually was. It's pretty smooth. I prefer it to a regular automatic.... I had a 4 speed in my old Mazda 6 and the gear shifts were super rough
Yup it is very quiet when coasting, but once you're on the go pedal the engine moans and complains. It was a deal killer for me as that would drive me nuts, also the CVT felt like a rubber band. If you have a chance to drive an 8spd auto made by getrag it will change your views on a proper slushbox transmission. IMO, engine is undersized for the CRV otherwise it's a great package for the money.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2195 posts
395 upvotes
Kingston
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:55 am

Also, how is the CVT?

I find the Honda sensing tech very good and the CVT isn't an issue. It's certainly better than that in the Forester that I test drove. The ANC keeps the noise down really well in most situations and you'll hear the engine drone when pushing it but the CRV isn't a sports car, the turbo is just there for economical driving, not for performance.

The ACC works really well and in conjunction with the other tech you almost have an automatically driven vehicle. I drove back from Whitby to Kingston in the CRV when I bought it and the car more or less drove itself. It was very eerie. The lane keeping tech works best on long highway stretches but it also works on side roads too as I've found. It is a driver aide though...broken lines, badly painted medians etc all can confuse the system.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2572 posts
456 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
JC69 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:46 am
I find the Honda sensing tech very good and the CVT isn't an issue. It's certainly better than that in the Forester that I test drove. The ANC keeps the noise down really well in most situations and you'll hear the engine drone when pushing it but the CRV isn't a sports car, the turbo is just there for economical driving, not for performance.

The ACC works really well and in conjunction with the other tech you almost have an automatically driven vehicle. I drove back from Whitby to Kingston in the CRV when I bought it and the car more or less drove itself. It was very eerie. The lane keeping tech works best on long highway stretches but it also works on side roads too as I've found. It is a driver aide though...broken lines, badly painted medians etc all can confuse the system.
What year Forester and were you saying CRV sensing tech or CRV CVT better then Forester? Or both?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7794 posts
1873 upvotes
Brampton
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:38 am
Yup it is very quiet when coasting, but once you're on the go pedal the engine moans and complains. It was a deal killer for me as that would drive me nuts, also the CVT felt like a rubber band. If you have a chance to drive an 8spd auto made by getrag it will change your views on a proper slushbox transmission. IMO, engine is undersized for the CRV otherwise it's a great package for the money.
I don't know if it's undersized or if it's tuning. (I think it's a bit of both, personally)
Apparently Hondata's tune can shave a whole second off and improve response.
But it's been known that the CVT in the Civic and CR-V can "overheat" when exposed to extreme load for extended periods like multiple hill climbs.

That tune has piqued my interest in the CR-V again. As you said it's a great value but when I test drove it. The Turbo + CVT had no urgency, it's like an extreme case of turbo lag but instead of a sudden hit it's a very smooth (too smooth) delivery of "go". It's not my cup of tea, but if Hondata can fix it...
Apr 26, 2003
888 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been driving my CR-V for around 1.2k km. I don't think I ever got to 4k RPM. The CVT keeps the engine in the powerband very nicely. I find that the "S" drive mode also improves throttle response to what one might expect.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
tebore wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:54 pm
I don't know if it's undersized or if it's tuning. (I think it's a bit of both, personally)
Apparently Hondata's tune can shave a whole second off and improve response.
But it's been known that the CVT in the Civic and CR-V can "overheat" when exposed to extreme load for extended periods like multiple hill climbs.

That tune has piqued my interest in the CR-V again. As you said it's a great value but when I test drove it. The Turbo + CVT had no urgency, it's like an extreme case of turbo lag but instead of a sudden hit it's a very smooth (too smooth) delivery of "go". It's not my cup of tea, but if Hondata can fix it...
Firstly...it's CUV...not a race car or even a sporty car.
Secondly, $695 USD
Thirdly, will void your warranty.
Lastly....all for one second....on a CR-V? :)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?