• Nov 15th, 2017 11:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7214 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto

2017 Hyundai Santa FE XL - give me your TL;DR feedback

My mother in law is stuck on wanting this car. I really have no bias, but also have no experience with Hyundai besides renting them a few times (I'm a Toyota/Lexus guy).

Don't need long winded posts (unless you really want to), but looking for some RFD family feedback TL;DR style on the Santa Fe XL and Hyundai as a whole.

Thank you!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2732 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:26 am
Don't need long winded posts
TLDR: Buy
FS/FT: none atm
May 17, 2017
126 posts
82 upvotes
Waterloo
- Getting a bit dated, but nice and large interior with good materials vs the competition
- Drives like crap compared to the competition, suspension is brittle and full of body roll at the same time
- 5 year warranty pretty decent

Seems like a good fit for a MIL who don't care about how it drive
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15778 posts
4674 upvotes
Ottawa
Hope you're getting a very large discount.
When I was cross shopping for a 3 row SUV, I had 0 reservations passing up the XL because of the nearly $50K price take.
No way I'm dropping $50K on a Hyundai.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1299 posts
532 upvotes
Markham
Santa Fe XL is a decent vehicle. Hyundai as a whole is a pretty good brand, quality hiccups occur on cars with very new tech and the Santa Fe XL isn't one of those.
Nov 28, 2011
672 posts
177 upvotes
Markham
Not bad, but there are better options IMO
Feb 17, 2015
571 posts
213 upvotes
Canada
Wait...what the heck is TL;DR???
...its all good man... 😎
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2195 posts
395 upvotes
Kingston
It's reasonably big. Does she actually need the 3 rows or massive cargo room?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
2732 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:19 pm
Wait...what the heck is TL;DR???
too long didnt read
FS/FT: none atm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7214 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:45 pm
Hope you're getting a very large discount.
When I was cross shopping for a 3 row SUV, I had 0 reservations passing up the XL because of the nearly $50K price take.
No way I'm dropping $50K on a Hyundai.
With current incentives it's $35k for the model with leather, navi, and panoramic roof.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7214 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
- Getting a bit dated, but nice and large interior with good materials vs the competition
- Drives like crap compared to the competition, suspension is brittle and full of body roll at the same time
- 5 year warranty pretty decent

Seems like a good fit for a MIL who don't care about how it drive
FWIW I rented a Santa Fe non-XL on a business trip last year and I thought more or less everything about it was horrible. Not sure about common elements between the XL and non-XL, but for me the suspension and drive of the Santa Fe non-XL was horrendous. The 4cyl was also horrible, but at least the XL has a V6.
Nov 17, 2013
453 posts
49 upvotes
WINNIPEG
I'd stay away from a 4cyl in this size vehicle (xl and non xl). I have a 4cyl sorento, same car as the santa fe and highway driving against a strong wind causes the vehicle to upshift all the time. The rest of the vehicle was pretty dec80e
Drew_W wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:30 pm
FWIW I rented a Santa Fe non-XL on a business trip last year and I thought more or less everything about it was horrible. Not sure about common elements between the XL and non-XL, but for me the suspension and drive of the Santa Fe non-XL was horrendous. The 4cyl was also horrible, but at least the XL has a V6.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5269 posts
383 upvotes
Great value for the size and feature but handling is bad. I guess it's fine if she test drove it and ok with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7214 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
vrredflag wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:00 pm
I'd stay away from a 4cyl in this size vehicle (xl and non xl). I have a 4cyl sorento, same car as the santa fe and highway driving against a strong wind causes the vehicle to upshift all the time. The rest of the vehicle was pretty dec80e
I did a lot of country driving, accelerating from stop signs constantly, passing trucks on single lane country roads, etc. Santa Fe was junk. It only comes with a 4cyl. The XL only comes with the 6cyl. Agree with this sentiment overall though. More power is good, and can actually lead to better fuel economy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7214 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
golden wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:48 am
Great value for the size and feature but handling is bad. I guess it's fine if she test drove it and ok with it.
She wouldn't know good handling from bad, so I guess it's fine. But I agree about the handling. Seems to be a common complaint.