[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19078 posts
2659 upvotes
Poormond Hill

2017 Mazda CX-5

At the Los Angeles Auto Show, Mazda revealed the all-new CX-5 SUV
complete with an updated design and a selection of new technologies.

The most obvious differences between the new model and the outgoing one is the heavily updated exterior styling. Unsurprisingly, it takes much of its inspiration from the smaller CX-3 and larger CX-9 with Mazda saying that it wanted to create a vehicle that suited the phrase ‘refined toughness’.

Not too fond of the exterior as it looks dated. But the interior is a beauty!
Last edited by sandikosh on Nov 16th, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
148 replies
Dec 15, 2015
128 posts
53 upvotes
RH, ON
Any updates on the engine? The old Cx-5 with the 4 cylinder was a painful to drive.

IMO, front end looks great, and then they left the rear to the interns.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6347 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
Diesel option avaailable..

Only one LCD screen?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9245 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
front looks great, i don't like the back very much. Wheels are "meh".

Not sure it looks better than the 2016.5.

If they actually bring the diesel, then a loaded GT might very well be my next car as I'll have to start commuting to work this time next year
Last edited by Swerny on Nov 16th, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7607 posts
280 upvotes
Brampton
The interior does not seem like a huge update and exterior is to match the cx-3 & cx-7.

Fast update to it tho.
Feb 15, 2013
336 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I am currently looking for new SUV (compact) and CX5 interior space (leg room) was an issue. I am not sure if they did any improvement in this area.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4930 posts
2195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm not feeling this one; I feel like the 2016.5 looked better
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
The current CX5 is BY FAR the best looking car in its class. Nothing else even comes close. I still catch myself craning my neck when I see one drive by even though there's lots of them on the roads by now.

I like the new design and I'm sure that rear-end will grow on me. The front is basically a copy of the new CX9 and that's not a bad thing.

I'm very excited about the news that the diesel will finally make its way here. I just hope it will actually happen. I also hope they have fixed the oil dilution problem in the Skyactiv 2.2 diesel engine. I thought that was the main reason they hadn't brought it here yet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19078 posts
2659 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The front is just as terrible as the CX-9. They need to put some fog lights at the bottom to "lower" the front. At the same time they should "pull back" the hood to give it a sporty look.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1514 posts
127 upvotes
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 12:37 pm
The current CX5 is BY FAR the best looking car in its class. Nothing else even comes close. I still catch myself craning my neck when I see one drive by even though there's lots of them on the roads by now.

I like the new design and I'm sure that rear-end will grow on me. The front is basically a copy of the new CX9 and that's not a bad thing.

I'm very excited about the news that the diesel will finally make its way here. I just hope it will actually happen. I also hope they have fixed the oil dilution problem in the Skyactiv 2.2 diesel engine. I thought that was the main reason they hadn't brought it here yet.
Could be our 2016.5 that has passed you by! Agreed, to me it is by far the best in class. We leased one about a month ago and this car is just Zoom..Zoom! Drives incredibly well, extremely well furnished on our GT with Tech package, can't really ask for anything else. All the bells and whistles needed, and not overly crazy price. We test drove: Rav 4, CRV, Outlander, Santa Fe and Rogue. By far this car has the best ride, nice firm suspension let along all the safety features and add-ons one would need.

Great time of year to buy one as well, right before 2017's come out.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3967 posts
1315 upvotes
BC
According to one automotive news outlet, the diesel version won't make it's way to North America until mid-2017.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3967 posts
1315 upvotes
BC
I'm not really feeling the new exterior. I was really fond of the 2016 model. The new interior seems to have received an upgrade in the material's quality department but design wise it isn't that much better than the old model. I do think that the interior looks better than the Rav4's interior for sure.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16318 posts
1080 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm getting sick of this Copy & Paste design we're getting lately.

Live a little and change things up. Remove the badges and from a distance you can't tell if it's a CX-5 or CX-9. Even the OEM wheels IIRC the CX-3 are identical and ugly as ****!! It's the reason why the CX-3 turned me off when shopping to trade my Father's Nissan Rogue.

Anyways...

At least Honda made changes not just the between the Coupe, Sedan & Hatchback but in TRIMS too. I love that the Sport & Sport Touring (can't wait for it) Hatchbacks are different than the base/lower trims by ADDING/CHANGING with Color options, Aero Kit, Exhaust and Wheels.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 5, 2011
525 posts
78 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The front make the car look like it's doing the duck face.