Sports & Recreation

2017 NHL Playoffs Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2017 4:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
I really hope the Pens win and go on to the finals not only because I don't want the Sens to win, but because I'm TIRED of seeing their boring ass brand of hockey. Maybe that's why Sens fans don't come out to fill up their arena and support their team because who'd want to sit through this kind of crap hockey all the time??

Say what you want about the Leafs and their not so great defense, but at least with this new team its hella fun to watch and follow them. Lots of speed and skill and generating alot of scoring chances and actually trying to win a game instead of playing not to lose like the Sens.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Member
User avatar
Oct 14, 2009
458 posts
118 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
MaximDude wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:34 am
I really hope the Pens win and go on to the finals not only because I don't want the Sens to win, but because I'm TIRED of seeing their boring ass brand of hockey. Maybe that's why Sens fans don't come out to fill up their arena and support their team because who'd want to sit through this kind of crap hockey all the time??

Say what you want about the Leafs and their not so great defense, but at least with this new team its hella fun to watch and follow them. Lots of speed and skill and generating alot of scoring chances and actually trying to win a game instead of playing not to lose like the Sens.
I'm more tired of Ottawa's interference, and dirty play. They must have run about 4 guys from behind last night.
Member
Jan 29, 2017
362 posts
142 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:34 am
I really hope the Pens win and go on to the finals not only because I don't want the Sens to win, but because I'm TIRED of seeing their boring ass brand of hockey. Maybe that's why Sens fans don't come out to fill up their arena and support their team because who'd want to sit through this kind of crap hockey all the time??

Say what you want about the Leafs and their not so great defense, but at least with this new team its hella fun to watch and follow them. Lots of speed and skill and generating alot of scoring chances and actually trying to win a game instead of playing not to lose like the Sens.
Sens can't obviously compete offense wise vs Pens so they have to adapt accordingly. It may not be pretty but you play with the tools you have.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
10233 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't know about that. Sens did pretty well owning the puck for the last few minutes of the game, after falling behind, and that is before they pulled the goalie.

Anyways, I'm cheering for Crosby and Subban. Hope the Pens win the Cup!
Member
Jan 17, 2011
203 posts
11 upvotes
This is some serious ass kicking by Ottawa! 5-0 in the third.
I would have never guessed but liking it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7541 posts
1169 upvotes
Ontario
peli33 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 7:46 pm
Sens can't obviously compete offense wise vs Pens so they have to adapt accordingly. It may not be pretty but you play with the tools you have.
Offense you say? Tell us more! ;)

:P
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
ugly wrote:
May 16th, 2017 7:39 pm
I'm more tired of Ottawa's interference, and dirty play. They must have run about 4 guys from behind last night.
But were those plays really dirty or is it simply playoff hockey? Seems like alot of stuff that's considered 'dirty' now would be considered just tough playoff hockey 15-20 years ago. And it certainly doesn't help when you have super slo-mo cameras that make things look worse than they might actually be.
peli33 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 7:46 pm
Sens can't obviously compete offense wise vs Pens so they have to adapt accordingly. It may not be pretty but you play with the tools you have.
Well they showed tonight they can compete offensively. :) Even though I don't want them to win, its a nice change from the usual boring hockey they play. Lets hope the Pens can show up the rest of the series or else maybe the injuries their team have gotten are finally catching up to them.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Member
User avatar
Oct 14, 2009
458 posts
118 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
MaximDude wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:37 pm
But were those plays really dirty or is it simply playoff hockey? Seems like alot of stuff that's considered 'dirty' now would be considered just tough playoff hockey 15-20 years ago. And it certainly doesn't help when you have super slo-mo cameras that make things look worse than they might actually be.
A dirty play is a dirty play. It doesn't matter if it's the playoffs.

Schultz didn't have the puck. He was hit from behind into the boards, at the unsafe distance from the boards. And now he's wearing a suit instead of in the lineup.

Well they showed tonight they can compete offensively. :) Even though I don't want them to win, its a nice change from the usual boring hockey they play. Lets hope the Pens can show up the rest of the series or else maybe the injuries their team have gotten are finally catching up to them.
I know the CBC guys were making it sound like the Pens got dominated. I don't think that was really the case.

Playoff Fleury finally made an appearance. The Fleury that's been the reason why Pittsburgh has only made it past the second round twice since winning the Cup in 2009. Not coincidentally when they had to ride Vokoun and Murray instead of Fleury. Fleury has put more pucks in the net than anyone else in this series. The Brassard goal, and the Turris goal in the second were normal goals. The rest were total misplays by Fleury. That fourth goal, the wrap-around was vintage Fleury.

Pittsburgh didn't play well by any means. But Ottawa didn't look any better than any of the other games in this series. That game was 100% on Fleury.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1018 posts
255 upvotes
ugly wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:10 am
A dirty play is a dirty play. It doesn't matter if it's the playoffs.

Schultz didn't have the puck. He was hit from behind into the boards, at the unsafe distance from the boards. And now he's wearing a suit instead of in the lineup.
Lol did you even watch the play dude? Sorry but you're completely wrong, it wasn't a dirty hit at all. I say this without any negative intent but if you've never played competitive hockey you wouldn't understand the intent of Hoffman's check. Watch the play again. Schultz is a safe distance away from the boards at the time of impact with Hoffman, in fact he begins the check at the red line. Schultz' body positioning is not vulnerable at the time of impact. Both Schultz and Hoffman were battling for puck positioning along the back of the net as does happen 100x a game.
Image

Contact with Schultz was finished well before he crashed into the boards. You can see that Schultz is already angled away from the board before impact.
Image

When Schultz crashes into the boards the primary point of contact is his shoulder, not his head.
Image

Nothing about this hit was illegal or dirty in any way. The official NHL definition of boarding is defined as
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact. However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered.
Schultz was not in a defenseless position. He was battling for a loose puck and was well aware of Hoffman's position. Also, Hoffman didn't follow up his hit by continuing contact with him into the boards.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7541 posts
1169 upvotes
Ontario
How in the world is that a dirty hit? He got muscled off the puck (which he was about to touch) and made awkward impact with the boards. It happens, unfortunately (awkward impact). Just because some innocuous hit results in injury doesn't make the play dirty. Pretty basic hockey play in the corner.

Watch any hockey game for longer than 5 minutes, and you often see a player on player struggle in the corner. Sometimes the lead player will even back off persuit of the puck and take out the man, etc. Again, this is basic muscling for the puck that happens in the corner, as the other poster said, 100x per game. Fair play. Unfortunate result.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
ugly wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:10 am

Playoff Fleury finally made an appearance. The Fleury that's been the reason why Pittsburgh has only made it past the second round twice since winning the Cup in 2009. Not coincidentally when they had to ride Vokoun and Murray instead of Fleury. Fleury has put more pucks in the net than anyone else in this series. The Brassard goal, and the Turris goal in the second were normal goals. The rest were total misplays by Fleury. That fourth goal, the wrap-around was vintage Fleury.

Pittsburgh didn't play well by any means. But Ottawa didn't look any better than any of the other games in this series. That game was 100% on Fleury.
What are you talking about? What about Methot's goal, where the Pen's defensemen pretty much knocked the puck into Fleury's pad and then in the net? And Turris' goal was on Murray. The only real bad goal was the Smith's wrap around goal where Fleury over committed.

I love how fans are so fickle. Fleury plays amazing the first two rounds, and was a huge reason Pens got pass the Caps in the second round. Did we forget that he shut out the Caps in a game 7 on the road? But oh look, Fleury has one bad game, he's not clutch at all and let's put all the blame on the guy.

The entire team starts out flat and spots the other team that plays a trap system a 4 goal lead. CLEARLY that's Fleury's fault.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
7541 posts
1169 upvotes
Ontario
sharpshooter88 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:46 pm
What are you talking about? What about Methot's goal, where the Pen's defensemen pretty much knocked the puck into Fleury's pad and then in the net? And Turris' goal was on Murray. The only real bad goal was the Smith's wrap around goal where Fleury over committed.

I love how fans are so fickle. Fleury plays amazing the first two rounds, and was a huge reason Pens got pass the Caps in the second round. Did we forget that he shut out the Caps in a game 7 on the road? But oh look, Fleury has one bad game, he's not clutch at all and let's put all the blame on the guy.

The entire team starts out flat and spots the other team that plays a trap system a 4 goal lead. CLEARLY that's Fleury's fault.
Fluery definitely had game saving type saves against the Capitals, and arguably one the main reasons why they advanced past that series.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
May 18th, 2017 4:09 pm
Fluery definitely had game saving type saves against the Capitals, and arguably one the main reasons why they advanced past that series.
For sure. Now, if people wanted to talk about putting in Murray for the next game because they think he's the better goalie, that would be a fair discussion. All the Fleury bashing is just silly.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1018 posts
255 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 4:17 pm
For sure. Now, if people wanted to talk about putting in Murray for the next game because they think he's the better goalie, that would be a fair discussion. All the Fleury bashing is just silly.
Unfortunately a lot of hockey fans are jaded by their bias for or against specific teams and don't make very valid arguments. Fleury let in some bad goals but he's a BIG reason why the Pens are where they are right now. Personally I would put Fleury back in tomorrow if I were Sullivan, but keep him on a short leash. 2 bad goals and you're out. What happens if Murray plays terrible? Sullivan going BACK to Fleury after benching him for the start of the game would add insult to injury IMO. It's essentially saying "I don't trust you, but I need you so please go out and bail us". MAF has earned the right to start, the players playing in front of him need to be held more accountable.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
rsang39 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:47 pm
Unfortunately a lot of hockey fans are jaded by their bias for or against specific teams and don't make very valid arguments. Fleury let in some bad goals but he's a BIG reason why the Pens are where they are right now. Personally I would put Fleury back in tomorrow if I were Sullivan, but keep him on a short leash. 2 bad goals and you're out. What happens if Murray plays terrible? Sullivan going BACK to Fleury after benching him for the start of the game would add insult to injury IMO. It's essentially saying "I don't trust you, but I need you so please go out and bail us". MAF has earned the right to start, the players playing in front of him need to be held more accountable.
I'd play it like this too. His post season performance has earned him one more start before he loses this starter position.
Baaaaaaaaa!

Top